Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2022, 10:41   #1

Boat: Dufour Gibsea 51
Registration BVI/USCG Documentation

All,
Thank you for the helpful insight so far. We've narrowed our search to a couple boats and are getting ready to offer on one of them.
I've seen a number of threads about purchasing in Europe and then importing into the US, but haven't found anything about BVI.

The top contender we like is a BVI registered boat. We'd like to first do USCG documentation and keep her in the carribean for the next year or so until we can find a slip in the Great Lakes -west coast of Michigan at which point we'll need to register in Michigan.

USCG documentation seems fairly straightforward, but despite my combination of search terms I haven't been able to find out how to deregister the boat from the British virgin islands.

Anyone out there have experience in this?
I have asked the broker but I have not heard back yet. I'm not sure im asking the right things either though.

The boat is a former private charter boat owned and operated by the skipper and their partner.
PhillipPalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2022, 10:51   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Registration BVI/USCG Documentation

The broker will typically do this for you. I've done this twice in the BVI, both times it worked flawlessly using BVI Yacht Sales.
Old 27-06-2022, 10:57   #3

Boat: Dufour Gibsea 51
Re: Registration BVI/USCG Documentation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
The broker will typically do this for you. I've done this twice in the BVI, both times it worked flawlessly using BVI Yacht Sales.
Thats what I'm hoping will be the case. The boat is for sale in Grenada, so I'm hoping the broker is familiar enough with the process to help us out.
PhillipPalacios is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI, documentation, men, registration