Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2024, 21:15   #31

Re: Removable Inner Forestay - Advantage?

Contrary to some of the posts above, inner forestays do not always need running back stays. It depends on where the stay is located. I am currently in the process of fitting a removable inner forestay on a mast head sloop, and the stay is basically set up like a Solent stay. The stay attaches about 15 inches below the forestay, and will be dyneema with an adjustable turnbuckle/snapshackle fitting to attach it at the bow when needed. Primary purpose will be to fly a storm jib or a smaller headsail than the 135% genoa that is on my furler. When not in use it will be stored back along the mast. No running back stays needed. This is after consultation with the mast maker (Selden).
Plumbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2024, 21:41   #32

Wow, I can see from the comments that most people seem to only do day sailing. Which is great and if that is all you do and can always pick your weather, then I wouldn't have a removeable stay sail as well, because you wouldn't use it often enough to warrant it.

On the other hand, if you do passages, the weather inevitably will be rough at times. I have approximately 40,000nm on passage experience and have a 45' Halberg Rassy with a removeable inner forestay that sits alongside the mast when not in use. I have sailed in winds up to 55kn for multiple days on end as well as sailed to windward in 30-40 knots fairly often. When going to windward if you have roller furling, after furling your jib to a certain point what remains will be too flat to be effective and will be only be adding to lee helm. You soon get to a point where you cannot get rid of lee helm (a boat sailing with lee helm is looking for a knock down!) unless you fully furl the headsail. Then sailing under main alone has its own issues.

I found in heavy weather, having an inner stay that I could put in place being invaluable. To windward around 25 knots, I would stow my jib and connect the inner stay to put a staysail on. The boat balance would be remarkably improved as well as sailing comfort. Reaching or downwind somewhere between 30-35knts I would do the same. In 55knts I could sail quite comfortably under storm staysail and trysail on a wide to close reach.
If you find yourself in weather bad enough to warrant heaving to, you will find it a lot easier and more comfortable to heave to under this same configuration.

Having the ability to store the staysail alongside the mast when not in use has the obvious advantage of ease while tacking.
t.mccollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2024, 22:19   #33

Boat: Volkscruiser

t.mccollum that's a fallacy that you need an inner forestay to go offshore. There is no correct rig, keel or hull design to go sailing. I would say over half the offshore boats I survey do not have an inner stay. With the current crop of sailors I meet, a water maker and air conditioning take precedent over anything to do with the rig.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 00:31   #34

For and Aft; I never said you need an inner forestay to go offshore. I was merely trying to relay the benefits of having a removeable inner forestay on a single masted boat vs many comments implying there is no benefit.

I myself do not like fixed inner forestays because of the tacking issues.
t.mccollum is offline   Reply With Quote