Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2015, 12:58   #1

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978
Removing Hoses

Folks;
I am attempting to service my stopcocks, a number of which the levers will not move. Friend suggested removing hose and squirt BP Blaster, let sit for 24 hrs, then retry. Well, both clamps are loose, heated up the end of the hose, but a couple of them will not budge after about 15-20 min of heating, pulling, heating, pulling, you get the idea. Any other ideas on how to remove other than cutting or forcing flat-edge screw driver between hose and neck of stopcock? thanks Dave
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 13:09   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Removing Hoses

Something small and round. A #1 phillips screwdriver bent 90deg works well. Snap ON, etc., make an awl type tool that is about the same thing. It does not seem to damage the hose.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 14:59   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

I normally take a pair of pliers and turn the hose back and forth to break it loose. If that doesn't work I just take a razor knife and cut a vertical slit in the hose.
Old 19-04-2015, 15:00   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Your vessel is equipped with seacocks if you are referring to the valves attached to your through hulls. Stopcocks are a land based application of a valve.
Is your boat in the water? If not, do your seacocks have drains? You can open the drains, plug your through hulls, and spray PB Blaster in through the drain plugs and let it sit for a couple days. Do not force the seacocks or you're in for some very expensive replacements.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 15:09   #5
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I normally take a pair of pliers and turn the hose back and forth to break it loose. If that doesn't work I just take a razor knife and cut a vertical slit in the hose.
That one usually works for me. If not,I razor the hose to pieces.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote