Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2020, 02:39   #1

Boat: Farr 38
Removing traveler and replace with a twin system.

I have a 38 foot Farr which is a racing cruiser, which I am changing into a cruiser.

The boat does have a vang to apply down pressure on the boom.

I am in the process to replace the soft dodger with a fixed hard dodger, which will extend further into the cockpit with wings as per the picture of the beneteau.

https://www.beneteau.com/es/gallery?ref=3945#

This thread is not to discuss the wings on the dodger, as that is a total other topic and could maybe be dealt with on another thread.
Currently the traveller and track is just in front of the pedestal, hence obstructing movement in the cockpit, as well as future obstruction of movement of the sheet with the planned extended dodger when sailing with the wind.

My idea is to attach the boom to the current single sheet system which will lead back to the mast and back to the cockpit. The single sheet 6:1 system will then be attached to the a simple twin sheet system which will be attached to the top of the extended wings on the hard dodger (refer to picture) on the port and starboard side. The advantage of this would be to avoid the messy twin sheet system running to the boom when sailing with the wind, as well as a 2:1 twin sheet system, which will replace the traveller system.

I have some understanding of the pressure from the boom on the dodger which will be immense, hence the plan is to “anchor” (my terminology) the sides of the hard dodger to the deck at an angle.

The disadvantage of the “anchors” to the deck would be obstructing movement from the wheel/cockpit to the bow. One suggestion would be to only use the anchors in winds exceeding 15 knots.

An alternative would be to move the traveller and track to the top of the dodger. But this would obstruct head movement when moving from the wheel to the cockpit as the boom is too low for my six feet length together with some space.

This topic was discussed in some detail in various forums, however very little comments were made on the side forces by the boom in heavy winds. On the harken website the forces on the end boom working load is calculated to be 911 pounds at 25 knots (would be reefing at that windspeed - reducing the side force). I see on various yachts that they use the twin sheet system directly on the coach roof, which indicates to me that the forces, are not that much.

I would like some advice on the following specifics:
- The side forces - what does it mean and would the “anchors” as described solve this problem.
- The 6:1 system will hang from the boom, which is attached to the twin sheet. I can just picture that that this might be a problem.
- An alternative would be to directly attach the 6:1 system to the pedestal.
- Reasons for not doing this alteration.
Soteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 06:30   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Removing traveler and replace with a twin system.

It's a bit hard to fully visualize the full alterations you're contemplating, but a few thoughts:

You may want to integrate a real arch into your hard dodger where the traveller is going to be mounted. Side loads are continually changing and there are shock loads associated with gybes etc. As a result you want the mount to be as rigid as possible.

I'd you're moving from boom end sheeting to mid boom sheeting (and that includes just moving it forward a few feet) you're going to want to reinforce the boom at the attachment point.

6:1 sheeting could stick you with a lot of line friction, which if you don't have easy access to the pullys and sheet could result in difficult tangles in some sailing conditions.

I always advise people to live with their boat for a year before they make substantial changes. Very often an issue that you assumed would be a huge hassle ends up being nothing at all, or at least not worth the modification. A d time spe t with it may also alter your plans for the solution.
Old 20-02-2020, 22:38   #3

Boat: Farr 38
Re: Removing traveler and replace with a twin system.

I value your input on this matter.

Further clarification:
Refer to attached picture. I tried to draw it for you to visualize the proposed setup. (The wheel and pedestal is not drawn into the schematic. and the schematic is from the stern)
A - The 6:1 which will go to the mast and back to the cockpit.
B - The Twin system
C - The "anchors"
D - The extended dodger of fiberglas on 25 mm stainless steel pipes
D - The movement of the twin system.

I agree with the shock loads being a concern, and therefore I propose the anchors to the deck.

I do not move the point of attaching to the boom. The attachment point will remain the end of the boom.

The 6:1 is the current system, and I do not foresee any changes to this with respect to access to the pulleys and sheets. However it should be noted that the current setup with the traveller in front of the wheel and pedestal do from time tangle up and access singlehanded to untangle this is sometimes frustrating.

I have had the boat more than 5 years, so I am reasonable familiar with the current setup which I need to change in order to be able to single hand.
I agree with the shock loads being a concern, and therefore I propose the anchors to the deck.

I do not move the point of attaching to the boom. The attachment point will remain the end of the boom.

The 6:1 is the current system, and I do not foresee any changes to this with respect to access to the pulleys and sheets. However it should be noted that the current setup with the traveller in front of the wheel and pedestal do from time tangle up and access singlehanded to untangle this is sometimes frustrating.

I have had the boat more than 5 years, so I am reasonable familiar with the current setup which I need to change in order to be able to single hand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Twin system with a twist.png
Views:	59
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	209151  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Twin sheet system with a twist.pdf (218.2 KB, 23 views)
Soteria is offline   Reply With Quote