Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2010, 05:51   #16
Armchair Bucketeer

Won't be a deal that is attractive to many (most?), but am a firm beleiver in the maxim "don't ask don't get". And for deals you get to write any rules you like ..........whether another can be persudaded to sign up is a seperate matter

On the sailing into the sunset concerns, maybe something older that needs a 2 year DIY refit? - possible to sail away on anything, just on some less likely. (condition & age would make a quick re-sale less likely). Would also be more boat size for your buck and less attractive vessel for others, so owner maybe more willing to deal to keep the price up.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 06:21   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Hi Rob... Welcome to CF...
I too hope you find what your looking for and it goes well for you in the long run..
I think your biggest problem is going to be your location... the impression I get from posts on CF is that OZ is a place where sailboats go for premium prices... dunno if there's the same give away tendancy that seems prevalent in the US which is a more 'Disposable Society'... still, anythings possible in life I've found so don't give up... post on as many forums/sites as possible...
Best wishes

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 09:13   #18

Boat: S.V. Wildheart - 1976 Douglas 32'
Send a message via MSN to serah
Just to add a few more details on our owner financed deal; the boat is a 1976 32' with a full keel and needed substantial work before she'd even float (which we did ourselves for $1000 or so at a savings of $8000 according to the quote from the boatyard) Total cost was only $15000. It may be harder to arrange for a more expensive vessel.
serah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 10:20   #19

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
If he finds an owner that is a) greedy and b) not actively using his boat, he might find someone to finance his deal.

I once sold a house and kept the mortage ($45,000). I requested 10% down and asked for, and got 13% interest on the life of the loan. He balked at the 13% interest and said banks are lending at 5%. I told him to get a loan from a bank. He took the 13%. But when he needed some extra time to make his payment or even miss a payment, all he had to do was call and I worked with him.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 11:07   #20

If I was the seller in this situation, I'd have several stipulations.

The first would be a pretty substantial down payment...on the order of almost 50%. I'd also require the installation (at buyers expense) one of those boat tracking beacons (boat lojack). I'd also require permission to leave the USA from the note holder. Also, I'd require full insurance coverage with me listed as the payable party in case of incident.

Too easy to just disappear with a yacht...its a miracle banks give loans to yachts at all.
night0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 19:56   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey
Won't be a deal that is attractive to many (most?), but am a firm beleiver in the maxim "don't ask don't get". And for deals you get to write any rules you like ..........whether another can be persudaded to sign up is a seperate matter

On the sailing into the sunset concerns, maybe something older that needs a 2 year DIY refit? - possible to sail away on anything, just on some less likely. (condition & age would make a quick re-sale less likely). Would also be more boat size for your buck and less attractive vessel for others, so owner maybe more willing to deal to keep the price up.
Cheers ,I will try that
Robfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 19:57   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61
Hi Rob... Welcome to CF...
I too hope you find what your looking for and it goes well for you in the long run..
I think your biggest problem is going to be your location... the impression I get from posts on CF is that OZ is a place where sailboats go for premium prices... dunno if there's the same give away tendancy that seems prevalent in the US which is a more 'Disposable Society'... still, anythings possible in life I've found so don't give up... post on as many forums/sites as possible...
Best wishes
Thank you
Old 16-12-2010, 19:58   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by serah
Just to add a few more details on our owner financed deal; the boat is a 1976 32' with a full keel and needed substantial work before she'd even float (which we did ourselves for $1000 or so at a savings of $8000 according to the quote from the boatyard) Total cost was only $15000. It may be harder to arrange for a more expensive vessel.
Oh, sounds scary
Old 04-09-2016, 21:44   #24

Re: Rent-to-Own

Hello. Been a while since anyone posted here it seems. I was wondering if anyone has or does rent to own options for yachts? I live with my grandmother and I am working hard for the both of us. I love her very much and there is not much more she can do because she is in her 70's and her health is not that great. She has had a dream since before grandpa died, of going into the ocean and just camping out on the boat and looking at the stars. I want to make her wish come true. I know there is yachts you can rent, but I do not want to rushed or limited in her enjoyment. I also love the sea and wish to work on land and stay on the boat. I may sound like a silly girl and I do not have all the know how, but that is why I am here asking you all with all your experience, to see if you can help me find the right way to go about this. Than you all for your time and any consideration.
Kizzu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rent to own