Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2022, 08:13   #1

repair possible?

hi all,
I am Joe new to sailing and would love to get some info and help.

I've come across a sailboat 40ft that is for sale with a delaminated hull and actually hull is completely cut off on the left-hand side. the boat sale comes with a quote for the repair which is about 150 man-hours plus material totaling about 8k GBP.
my questions are:
1. given substantial damage is this quote on pair with what it should be (i don't want a substandard repair)
2. can this really be repaired to the point that the new laminate will be permanently water tightly bonded to the old and the boat will be actually safe to sail at rough seas and it would not come apart?
3. this boat has a wooden deck, how much of an issue is the water tightness of the deck where it meets the rest of the boat ie laminate?

thank you
jo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	254367   Click image for larger version

Name:	boat quote.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	254368  

Name:	boat1.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	254369   Click image for larger version

Name:	boat2.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	254370  

Name:	boat3.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	254371   Click image for larger version

Name:	boat4.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	254372  

Old 14-03-2022, 08:40   #2

Boat: Cal 35-2
Re: repair possible?

Anything can be repaired/fixed. The question is, is it worth it to you to invest the money and time needed? The extent of the damage is significant, and I'm sure more damage will be discovered as the process goes on.
Old 14-03-2022, 08:44   #3

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 Ketch - Reduced Rig & Shoal Draft

Anything is reparable. You have to ask yourself if the project makes financial sense. Will the repair cost more than the repaired value of the boat? The boat in the photo should not be for sale. It should be free to anyone who is willing to put in the extensive, money, time and effort to get it back in the water.
Old 14-03-2022, 09:25   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Welcome to the forum, Joe.

If you are new to sailing and want to sail, buy a boat that is ready to sail. If you are new to sailing but want to spend the next three years and all your available cash in a boatyard, buy a project.

The project has three times as much work to be done as meets the eye. The total cost will be more than the cost of a boat that is ready to sail. The initial cost may be low, but the total cost will not be.

That said, the boat you are looking at is not a good project. A project boat looks like it is ready to sail, but actually is not.

Don't even think about it.
Old 14-03-2022, 09:55   #5

I wanted to mention also that apart from the hull and structural repairs, I can do the rest by myself, from the engine to electrics, to any repairs really.
However, I can see that 3 out of the 3 replies discouraged me from this so maybe it is not the boat to have then.
The boat itself is being sold for less than 2k, i was planning to do some work plus upgrades to the systems, I'm fully aware there will be stuff to iron out before she is ready.
apparently, the engine has been rebuilt, injectors cleaned, sails are ok.
thank you for your replies guys.
joe
Old 14-03-2022, 10:00   #6

Boat: Catalina 320

Doubt that boat will ever float again, it's a "yard" yacht now.
Old 14-03-2022, 10:51   #7

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Welcome to the forum, Joe.

If you are new to sailing and want to sail, buy a boat that is ready to sail. If you are new to sailing but want to spend the next three years and all your available cash in a boatyard, buy a project.

The project has three times as much work to be done as meets the eye. The total cost will be more than the cost of a boat that is ready to sail. The initial cost may be low, but the total cost will not be.

That said, the boat you are looking at is not a good project. A project boat looks like it is ready to sail, but actually is not.

Don't even think about it.
The above bears repeating - "don't even think about it" (tkeithlu nailed it! ).

I'm a guy who's a sucker for 'project boats but, IMHO? Based on the first picture, they ought to pay you to haul it away and scrap it out.

For the money, time and effort you will spend on trying to get that 'hulk' seaworthy (if that is even possible) you could be in a seaworthy boat and enjoying time on the water, instead of broke and living in the boat yard.
Old 14-03-2022, 11:08   #8

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjojom View Post
I wanted to mention also that apart from the hull and structural repairs, I can do the rest by myself, from the engine to electrics, to any repairs really.
However, I can see that 3 out of the 3 replies discouraged me from this so maybe it is not the boat to have then.
The boat itself is being sold for less than 2k, i was planning to do some work plus upgrades to the systems, I'm fully aware there will be stuff to iron out before she is ready.
joe

There is nothing reasonable that can be done for that boat. If there was some special reason (historical significance) to rebuild it, maybe it be done for a 100K. Or you might recoup 2k in parts and scrap.
Old 14-03-2022, 11:29   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Some many years ago, I built my own boat.

During this time, I met some guys taking on a project such as yours. None made it very far. I would bet that you would give up after the first month or two on a project that might take a year or two.

It is infinitely more difficult, complicated and expenses than you realize and at the end of the day you will still have a patched up piece of junk.

You will sink a lot of money into this venture and see little return.

Judging from the photo, damage to the hull is extensive. I would not touch this project, if the boat were given to me for free.

Seriously walk away from this and look for something a little more...er...seaworthy.
Old 14-03-2022, 11:46   #10

Boat: 45f5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjojom View Post
joe

Joe

If you have these skills set, then find a project that predomiantely requires those skill sets. I agree with others that you are better with a ready to sail boat (if you are new to sailing. Actually most should). Otherwise find one near ready. Have a scroll through the boats under $30k section in this forum and you should find some good ones to start the thinking process.

All the best
Old 14-03-2022, 11:57   #11
Marine Service Provider

The thing about these damaged boats is not the damage you see....but the damage you don't see.
Old 14-03-2022, 12:01   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

jo, I'm sorry we can't be more encouraging. We really do want to welcome you to sailing your own boat and participating in the forum. We don't want you to get hurt or chased out of sailing by an impossible project. I pass boats every day in better shape than that and think to myself "That boat is never going to sea again."
Old 14-03-2022, 12:11   #13
Marine Service Provider

If you are looking for an inexpensive fixer upper....and you live in the Florida area..go to Indian Town Marina, west of Jupiter.

There must be countless boats there for sale that are in need of some love, elbow grease and $$$

Another place would be Green Cove Springs Marina on the St. Johns River. They have a large yard there, with 100's of boats that havn't seen the water in a very long time. You are bound to find something there in far more suitable condition for a "do-over"...
Old 14-03-2022, 12:28   #14

He said the boat could be had for 2000 GBP.....might think that's in Great Britain Pounds as on the other side of Atlantic. Just saying...
Old 14-03-2022, 12:51   #15

yes guys, the other side of the atlantic.
would love to come and visit but as all of you suggested, i could end up as a titanic version 2.0

well, i think there is no one positive comment about that boat, and although i like challenges and nothing is impossible when i set my mind to it, i think i will take an amazing advice you lot are giving.

Thank you, and hopefully, I can find something and meet you sometimes

joe
Closed Thread

Tags
repair