Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2024, 08:33   #1

Reuse cold plates in refrigeration

I have two existing cold plates in existing refrigeration box’s. The box’s contain about 10 cf of space. The compressor used for this unit is removed and not available. I see these DIY compressors from Adler barber that can cool an area of 15 cf. if I recondition these cold plates and add the quick disconnects to my existing cold plates. If I connect the new Adler barber compressor unit and new thermostat to the existing cold plates will this work? Obviously part of the reconditioning of the plates I will pull a vacume on the cold plate prior to connecting the new compressor with the new Freon into the system. The old system ran off of 120v but want to use the 12v compressor attached to my solar system and batteries. I believe this will work fine and save money. Any thoughts or direction from anyone who has done this or anyone who sees a flaw in my thoughts would be appreciated.
Dgrones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2024, 08:43   #2

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom
Re: Reuse cold plates in refrigeration

A pic of the plates would be helpful.
As the prior system was a 120VAC unit it may have used a TXV.
The little 12VDC units are designed for a "Cap tube" evaporator.
Not to say it can't work, but a little more info required, as in can you find out the power rating of that 120VAC unit.
Some small 120VAC units are cap-tube systems, (like a home refrigerator).
Old 24-01-2024, 09:54   #3

The plates are made by cross. I have a picture of one of them but don’t know how to copy it to this string.
Old 24-01-2024, 10:07   #4

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4943.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	349.5 KB
ID:	285624
Old 24-01-2024, 10:10   #5

Finally figured out how to upload the picture. The other cold plate is the same kind just twice as big and in a separate compartment. The compressor was removed prior to me purchasing the boat.
Old 25-01-2024, 00:40   #6

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgrones View Post
The other cold plate is the same kind just twice as big and in a separate compartment.
You didn't give any dimensions, and saying that the other plate is twice as big and in a separate compartment tells me that there are/were both a freezer and a reefer.
Have no idea what kind of device(s) were used by the 120VAC unit to control the flow of refrigerant between two plates, each with a eutectic solution that was mixed to freeze at a different temp, and each plate having its own thermostat.
Strong suspicion that TXVs were used on each plate, and the 120VAC unit had a receiver on it.
In a nutshell, a single 12VDC compressor is not going to freeze those plates without hours of grinding away at it.
Even the small one you pictured is stretching the limits, (kind of like putting a lawn mower engine in a tractor).
The 12V units do not have receivers, they are a low-starting-torque device designed to feed an evaporator coil using a cap-tube.
While there is a 12V unit on the market that does use a cold-plate with a TXV, (Technautics,) they DO have a receiver and a proprietary tube pack that is miles ahead in efficiency.
A couple of other units use cold-plates with a cap-tube, but the plates use a rather inefficient tube pack and so have a more extended run time.
An appropriately sized 120VAC unit, (~1/4>1/3Hp.,) running off of a dedicated inverter would work assuming it had either high-side or low-side controls to regulate the two temp plates.
Be careful what the makers tell you about the capacity in Cubic Feet that there units can handle, they assume a WELL insulated box with good seals and a minimum of time that the lids are opened, (if at all).
In general, cold-plate systems come-in-to-their-own when you can use a powerful compressor during periods of having excess electricity available to remove 12>24 hours worth of heat in a short time.
Old 25-01-2024, 11:20   #7

Thanks. It sounds like I need to bite the bullet and go ahead remove the cold plates and buy the evaporator that comes with the unit.

Tags
refrigeration