Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2022, 06:25   #16

Re: Rigging question

Thank you, Mark :-)

That explanation is very, very useful, particularly for people new to maintenance. And who, being new to seafaring, is not also new to maintenance and ship's husbandry :-)?

You might like to make a few comments about the hazards of going to the truck of a mere three-tonner lying afloat, particularly about the specific dangers that must be guarded against BEFORE undertaking the task.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2022, 06:49   #17

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Correct. We would strongly urge the mast be lowered. Super strongly urge.
I think it was posted before, but having the mast on saw horses will let you examine all the mast parts and you should also look over the chainplates.
I actually survived a wood mast break while I was at the spreaders. .
It’s a nice boat and doing the job safely is priority one.
Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2022, 19:27   #18

Thank you all, my next step would be going to the boat measure cables take pics get more information and maybe come back with lots more questions.

I have no interest to climb up the mast if I can help it so i guess need to find out how much the yard would cost.

From watching the videos of how to make the fitting I think I can handle it no problem.
obviously when I get to it that would be the real test.

I think the hardest thing I would have will be measuring and cutting.

Anything else I should be looking for? guess it would be a great lesson on doing the rigging.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OUR BOAT .jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	261304  
fireant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2022, 05:23   #19

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

I’m trying to remember. I think the chainplates were bolted to the bulkheads...if that’s correct, examine them carefully for movement or water damage. The spreader attachment to the mast. The mast step after you pull the mast. What you are looking for is anything loose. Just post a photo.
Not for this boat, but sometimes if you have the mast down, it’s a great time to add an inner stay or go to full twin back stays or even a heavier spar or a shorter spar. Once you get the “ I can do it” rigging experience, you really open up the size and kind of boat you can buy. You can find every thing rigging on videos.
There is just so much information. You don’t need to learn how to TIG aluminum.
You can learn how to fabricate the parts and let a pro weld it for you. Used spars are everywhere and if you learn the elements of design, you can find a lot of damaged boats suitable to fix. Also remember, a lot of people convert to carbon and have nice aluminum rigs for sale. Shipyard labor rates are not going down and that opens up a lot of opportunities for you if you are willing to learn.
Happy trails to you.
Mark and his manatee crew.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2022, 21:32   #20

Hello fine folks,
As always still learning about boats and what it takes to own one.
After many calls and leaving massages with only one yard get back with me. Riggers are behind on work.
Found a place that can make me new rigging if I give them the old rigging to measure.
The plan is taking the boat to a yard have them do the bottom paint.
Have them remove the mast and me getting the rigging off. Take the rigging to a shop to have them make me new rigging. It would be lower cost than me doing it myself.
My question is what I need to do to at the slip before going to the yard to get the mast ready to be taken down beside removing the sails?
When the mast is down besides the base what else I need to check?
What other checks should be done while the boat is on the hard.
When talking to the yard anything I should know to say or mention?
What I need to watch for when they do the work?
Any other advice anyone can share that I didn't think of asking?

Thanks in advance.
Old 28-08-2022, 17:04   #21

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Not sure if this has been mentioned...It is much cheaper doing rigging stays if you take a couple of wires down at a time. First the 2 uppers, then the lowers. Using the halyards for temporary supports, the forestay and later the back stay. If you have knowledge of the age of the turnbuckles you may or may not need to replace them. Regardless, they are cheaper online. You would only need a rigger to buy the wire from and swage the ends. Be careful they do not sell you 304ss instead of 316ss. They conveniently omit that small detail sometimes.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2022, 18:05   #22

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireant View Post
Hello fine folks,
As always still learning about boats and what it takes to own one.
After many calls and leaving massages with only one yard get back with me. Riggers are behind on work.
Found a place that can make me new rigging if I give them the old rigging to measure.
The plan is taking the boat to a yard have them do the bottom paint.
Have them remove the mast and me getting the rigging off. Take the rigging to a shop to have them make me new rigging. It would be lower cost than me doing it myself.
My question is what I need to do to at the slip before going to the yard to get the mast ready to be taken down beside removing the sails?

Thanks in advance.
So you are going to have the mast down and have a rigger do the work. I think this is a fine decision although you'd learn a lot doing it yourself.

It is a good idea to remove the cotter pins and loosen the turnbuckle's a little bit. Maybe some PC Blaster to help the yard get your turnbuckles off. Find all the wires and disconnect them at the base of the mast. If it is keel stepped figure out how the mast partners are put together so you can remove them but don't take them out before the mast crane is attached. Take all the halyards and bundle them together so they don't swing loose when the mast is being removed. Basically you want to get it so that they yard can disconnect the standing rigging and just pull it out. They will need a line tied to the base that they can use to guide the mast when it is being moved to some saw horses. (get saw horses if they don't have them)

Visually inspect the spreaders and all fittings which are still attached, lights, etc, every thing. Check the sheaves for the halyards, they should be free of wear and free to turn. Check all bolts and screws to see if they can be turned. it is good to remove them and put them back with tuf-gel or some other anti seize stuff. look at the wind direction devices if any and make sure they are in food nick. Inspect and service the roller furling equipment.

Well of course anything related to underwater stuff should be inspected and serviced

It is great if you can mark the deck with blue tape where the propeller shaft exits the hull and where the prop is so they don't put a strap on it.
What about your speedometer paddle wheel? This should be pulled before the straps are put on and if not be sure to mark the deck above that item too.

Don't be intrusive but watch everything. Don't take off and leave the boat while they work on it for a week.
Old 28-08-2022, 20:57   #23

Celestialsailor, Thanks for the heads up about the proper type of rigging.

Wingssail, Thats a lot of great info. Reason I will let them build the rigging is cost and time. I would hate to start the job and end up not showing up to finish it on time cause of work.
My problem I can't be there every day to watch them because of my work. Maybe have my wife be there. she won't know much about what is going on but I'm sure she would notice if something were not kosher.

Again, thanks everyone for the help it's a learning experience for both of us.
Old 06-09-2022, 17:59   #24

Boat: Island Packet 29

Ive had two boats that I had new standing rigging put on in the past 3 years. Neither required that mast to come down.

I just had my Island Packet 29 done. It was $3,200 and my Cape Dory 28 was about $3700.

I guess its location dependent, but $6000 for a 27' sounds BRUTALLY expensive to me.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 21:28   #25

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Fred, to the prep, he should also un-attach the wires (hopefully there's a tidy installation with a terminal block), disconnect the wires to whatever antennas he may have up there, too.

If the OP has a depth sounder that protrudes and might be in the way of the strap, he should mark on the side of the hull at deck level where the strap has to go deeper for the evasive action. If they get the straps right, he should take and print the photo, so other lift drivers at other times can see where to put them.

Watch as much as you can, and learn; but save the questions for after you've settled up with them.

Ann
Old 06-09-2022, 21:39   #26

Boat: Morgan 382

Before touching the turnbuckles, use some electrical tape on the threads to mark the position they are tensioned to. The rigger will want this to ensure the new rigging is the correct length.
Old 07-09-2022, 05:33   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireant View Post
Some of you know that we purchased a 1978 Oday 27, we have it for about a year and a half.
Last time we took it out on a sail I noticed that on the starboard standing rigging at the top one strand is broken. I can see it sticking out about a foot to a foot and a half. I don't know if it broke off inside the fitting or it broke in the middle of the strand.
It's my first boat and obviously I'm very worried not sure if I can take it out or what the next step should be.
Got one over the phone estimate between 5-$6,000 to do the repairs change all the rigging halyards and what else is needed. He said I might save about $2,000 if I do some of the work myself. I was also told that the mast will have to come down and he will need about two weeks. What kind of work would that be that I could do on my own? Im not afraid to work and know my way around tools. Just never done any rigging.
I Also need to do a bottom paint. Main sail is stretched some, but i could sail for a lot longer as is. The boat needs some work.
I would hate to get rid of the boat We really like it a lot. its so easy to sail and fun. We still have half a tank of fuel from the time we motored it north to where we keep it at Oxnard. It almost runs on air only.
But no idea if it's worth it to invest all this money. With the idea that we might sale it next year if we can go cruising.
Any advice.
Stop, before you buy anything contact
D&R Marine in Massachusetts
They might have a complete set for way less cash
if they don’t , Rudy might have all the specs
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 16:59   #28

To keep the cost down I will take all the rigging down myself. The rigger can't even get to the boat for a few months he is that busy. Talk about opportunity to look into.

Wholybee that's a great advice i didn't think of. Would there be any reason to not use some paint instead of tape?

Time thanks about the remainder to call D&R I had the website never thought about calling them for rigging.

Still waiting for the yard. seems everyone is very busy.
Old 08-09-2022, 05:39   #29

Boat: twinkeels, 9m

it is easy to dismast between 2 friendly boats (after preparation) and to lean the mast on trestles on the quay, the pontoon ...
bil56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging