Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2018, 16:05   #1

Boat: Bristol 30
Rigging question - Forestay and Facnor LX130

My boat has 1/4" wires for the standing rigging. Forestay and backstay both are hooked up to 3/8" turnbuckles (3/8 thread diameter + 3/8" clevis pin). My chainplates are 1/2" The previous owner did not use proper hardware. I know people sail for years like this but I don't like it. A well respected rigger told me to just put in bronze bushings/spacer in the chainplate (1/2 -> 3/8) and be done with it.

On the backstay I'm just going to put in a bronze or SS bushing and call it a day.

On the forestay, I have another problem. I have a LX130 reefing/furler unit that I got from Vela sailing supply. It was a free upgrade from an LX100 so I couldn't refuse it. The LX100 uses a 3/8" clevis pin and the 130 uses a 1/2" clevis pin.

So I'm planning on reswaging my forestay, and hoping that I have enough adjustment left on the turnbuckles to make it work without replacing the whole forestay.

Today I had a thought. What if I got a 3/8" bolt and bigger plastic bushings (than the ones supplied in the kit) to go through my existing turnbuckle and toggle hardware? Then put a bronze bushing in the chainplate.

Would this be acceptable? My boat is sitll within the use range of the The LX100 which uses a 3/8" clevis pin. I have a medium-heavy displacement boat, and my sail area isn't very big for a boat this size.

Thanks in advance.
Link to Facnor installation manual so you can see what I am talking about. Go to page 26. Thanks!

PS: I'll be emailing this question to Facnor and hoping the language barrier won't prevent communications.
Old 19-05-2018, 16:28   #2

Boat: Bristol 30
Re: Rigging question - Forestay and Facnor LX130

update: Vela Sailing Supply sent me the LX130 with the appropriate hardware needed to install on my boat with 3/8th clevis pins

Tags
rigging