Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2024, 10:51   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Righting A Sailboat That Has Fallen Of Jack Stands

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlahrkamp View Post
Reasonable idea. Although the amount of hull turning should remain the same but the amount of lifting is reduced initially but then would be needed for jack stand placements. I see an advantage to doing this if the hull is just rolled upright without the use of a crane for lifting. What other advantages might there be?

The idea was to separate the rolling from the lifting operation to reduce the rolling when the boat is in the slings. If the crane(s) can control the lifting of each side individually it/they can roll the boat with the slings without much motion between hull and sling (as someone noted above). But if you have one side of the sling fixed and can lift only the other one or lift the whole pack from one frame, then it might help to have the boat as upright as possible before lifting (I have no real life experience with that).

You didn't mention the type of crane, I think if I had free choice I might go for two cranes, each with a lifting bar to have best control over each side. Port side would be set up with the bar over the port toerail (kind of pushing the boat to port at avoid the hull slipping to port) while the stb crane lifts vertical at the toerail. Then tweak to lift basically rotating the boat along the keelbulb, so the bulb remains in place and is not dragged over the floor. This seems like least stress for the hull to me.
barnab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2024, 11:13   #17

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Separating the actions is why I was thinking Travelift if a big enough one is available. You might have to tie the slings to the boat to keep the boat from trying to rotate in the slings as you lift, but it should be possible to lift the whole thing some, then start to rotate and lift to avoid putting a big side load on the keel. Then once it's upright you can set it down as normal.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2024, 11:18   #18

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boat Galley View Post
Abaco Yacht Services in Green Turtle Cay, Abacos, Bahamas, lifted a large number of boats that fell off jackstands during Dorian. It's my understanding that they did it with their regular travel lift, more or less "as usual." As the straps were tightened, the boat was lifted and gravity pulled the keel to the proper position. Many of the boats were salvaged, so it's not like they were just moving them to be destroyed.

I wasn't there, so I can't say for 100% certain but this is what I was told they did.
I agree with this process, I had a career as a rigger, I worked with hydraulic and conventional cranes we did use the straps with a spreader box as pictured in a previous post but that was using a conventional crane, a boat lift would do the same thing.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2024, 12:32   #19
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Just as a fyi, I was once witness to a large full keel boat that laid over on her side. The rig was completely intact ( not your case). They got a small excavator and dug out a pit so they could just roll her back up. Then used a travel lift to pick her back up and reposition on jack stands. Once done, it was as if nothing had happened. Nothing damaged at all.

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2024, 13:31   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

^^^^No interior damage is very rare if the boat falls on to a paved surface. Those guys were lucky.

Me, I'd talk to the crane folks. I've seen some remarkable, tight precise lifts. I'd actually trust them to do it right, first try. If a number of boats have been affected by the event that caused this one to go down, I'd try to arrange a group lift. When they're in dominoes, crane travel costs can be shared. Also, sometimes the guys like it if someone gives them a cuppa and a snack (cookies, cake, sandwiches). The friendlier the whole situation is the better it goes. Usually 2 or 3 men come, and they have already figured out how to approach the problem.

Ann
Old 22-07-2024, 14:14   #21

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

With no fancy tools needed, cribbing and levers can do it. You lift and add cribbing in stages. Maybe only a inch at a time, slow but it works. In the fire service we used 4x4s and a 6 foot "rock bar" to lift a 6 ton chunk of concrete off people in a rescue. In the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake we had no fancy tools in the first hours.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2024, 14:37   #22
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
^^^^No interior damage is very rare if the boat falls on to a paved surface. Those guys were lucky.
Ann
Very true - but observe my words - The boat laid over. It was in a sandy loam field and there were several days of rain. The jacks on the starboard side slowly compressed into the sandy loam until it was laying on it's side.

But the point of my post was more that you can get the boat upright by digging a pit.

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2024, 06:49   #23

Boat: Chartercats SA, Jaguar 36

Quote:
A sailboat is on her side. The question is about how to get her righted back onto jack stands. Let's not worry about the mast (broken and removed). Access is available on all sides and there is no issue with other surrounding boats. This is a technical general "how to" question and not about insurance, salvage companies, etc. Maybe digging a trench next to the keel and rudder and somehow nudge her into it and then lifting? Or would pulling her into standing position up on her keel be best? What other methods are there for righting? What damages might be inflicted in the process? Just really curious about this.

What is the yard equipment on site? A hydraulic trailer? Travel lift? Crane?
A crane or travel lift is ideal, with the most power and control. You can go manual with cribbing and jacks, but why?
foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2024, 07:32   #24

Let the marina use their travellift or crane. I doubt they will allow any digging so I don't see why your asking for opinions on this. It's their property, ask them to solve it. When A friends boat fell over due to inadequate stands (setup by the marina) they claimed no liability and simply lifted the damaged vessel onto new jackstands. The boat was scrapped by the insurance company and given to him for disposal. He stripped what he wanted then sold it to someone who attempted to fix it (including broken ribs).
cpetku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2024, 08:04   #25

My bad, when painting the bottom of the boat, I moved a jackstand and oops. The crane used one strap down the low side, around the keel and back up the low side and just slowly lifted, no damage to lifelines or toe rail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img598.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	428.9 KB
ID:	292458  
sacawehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2024, 08:06   #26

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

If there's a Travel Lift, they can lift the stern first, so the rudder will be clear when the bow is lifted. Travel lift straps are normally strapped together fore and aft, so they don't slide off the boat.
Toe rail protection is a good idea. Something soft, like a fender or even a folded up towel, lashed in place on the boat or the strap?
If no travel lift, crane only, rudder removal might be a good idea. It's not too hard to clamber around in there.
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2024, 08:16   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Forget the crane and travel lift.

You just need a portable air compressor and a few lifting cushions. You might be able to rent the cushions.

The boat appears to be on sand and a hole is really easy and quick to dig for the rudder and keel.

https://www.matjack.com/products/jum...very-cushions/

After righting the vessel, pile sand under the cushions as you slowly lift it up a foot at a time. Sorry 0.3 meters at a time.

Levering is not a good idea as the force will be concentrated on too small of an area. Cushions spread the load over a much larger area.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2024, 08:29   #28

If you are able to crane and lift with slings, (apparently that's the scheme?) just remove the lifeline cables and not worry about the lifelines.
No need to trench etc. A good Travelift operator can "roll" the boat in the slings to position it upright.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2024, 14:18   #29

Boat: Ferrari. Enzo 11mtr cat

At Vuda Point marina Fiji they dig holes then lower the monos keel into it so the hull just about sits on the ground, can’t fall over when a cyclone passes through.
FerrariSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2024, 01:39   #30

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

My boat was knocked over by the boat next to me. the use a crane to lift it up. 18 months to sort out insurance and rebuild it from top of the mast to bottom of the keel. Careel Boat service Avalon NSW did an excellent job as did the Rigger Peter Grieg rebuilding the mast and rigging changed to Dyneema.

Quote:
A sailboat is on her side. The question is about how to get her righted back onto jack stands. Let's not worry about the mast (broken and removed). Access is available on all sides and there is no issue with other surrounding boats. This is a technical general "how to" question and not about insurance, salvage companies, etc. Maybe digging a trench next to the keel and rudder and somehow nudge her into it and then lifting? Or would pulling her into standing position up on her keel be best? What other methods are there for righting? What damages might be inflicted in the process? Just really curious about this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RPAYC Dec 2nd Sko Knock Down 2018 (8).jpg
Views:	16
Size:	420.6 KB
ID:	292473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sko Crane Lift RPAYC2 (2).JPG
Views:	14
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	292474  

Name:	Sko Crane Lift RPAYC2 (1).JPG