Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2018, 11:36   #16

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel
Re: Robert Perry's Ideal Cruiser - Buppy Boat 43

Have Ted Brewer Kingsland 42 Ft Cutter with Brewer Bite keel and canoe stern. It addresses some questions like off center companionway and aft double bunk though it has a stern wheel with large keel mounted rudder. Pilot house has trap doors to ER and I could sleep in the engine room so engine work a pleasure Mine is in steel driven by 110 hp Yanmar at 9 knots motoring at 2.3 GPH. Heavy but she's a pleasure in heavy seas since she doesn't bounce around a like a cork.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:31   #17

Boat: Swan 432

Definitely not a fan. The overall length is 43 and the waterline is 38, the 5 foot difference looks to be the bow pulpit. Unless I am missing something. It looks like adding wind vane steering would be difficult or impossible.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:48   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Snap. I had the same thoughts.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 13:47   #19

I would prefer a Westsail 42.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 14:01   #20

Boat: gozzard 44

This client had specific ideas for his new boat(s). Four of them sprinkled around the world. Go figure.
Initially he wanted twin inboards but Bob likely convinced him of the advantages of one. Even with the full keel (another client requirement) the CF’s performance appears fine. A lot of nice touches like matte finished SS cowls, winches, and trim.
However, it all comes at a hefty price, $$$$$$$?
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 15:02   #21

Boat: Comet 41s

Do you know what these two boats have in common?

Both are the ideal cruising boat for Bob Perry, I mean personally as his own boat:

"I love this design. For my style of sailing in the Pacific Northwest, I think this would be the ideal boat for me. ....It is spectacularly good looking in a contemporary style..... I have a very picky eye but there is nothing about the look of this boat I would change..... It’s a reflex for me to review each boat like it was designed for me. Most of the time the fit leaves a lot to be desired. Not this time. The Pogo 36 appears to fit like a glove. "
Pogo 36 sailboat design review

No, he is not talking about the full keel one, he is talking about the Pogo 36.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 16:14   #22
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

POLUX,...

I really enjoyed seeing your posted comment (with illustrations and quote). Nicely done sir!

I should say it caused me to chuckle

It seems that promoting an ideal boat is part of being a Naval Architect, and each of the boats the NA draws is his Ideal Baby. As an artist, I can understand that emotion and bias.

It is interesting to see Perry's comment (quoted) as it so closely matches the earlier posted comment (I quoted Perry).

But, I think I can understand some of that too. I love many boat designs I see, and think of some as ideal for a certain use/place/water. I cannot have them, but I can still love them all.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 17:39   #23

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
Definitely not a fan. The overall length is 43 and the waterline is 38, the 5 foot difference looks to be the bow pulpit. Unless I am missing something. It looks like adding wind vane steering would be difficult or impossible.
Trim tab wind vanes go with transoms hung rudders like peas and carrots.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 18:24   #24

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Not much on that boat that I find appealing... I'd much rather cruise on the Pogo 36 that Bob apparently loved vs his own boat design. Besides keel rudder shape, I see nothing new or exciting.

Thing I like on this design:

Balanced rudder with lower support
Transom hung rudder
Cutter rig
Deep cockpit
Engine access through cockpit floor, lazerette, stairs and aft cabin.

I don't like:

Small pilothouse with just a dinette (looks like under 30" wide seats for 1 person each side)
Separate aft cabin without access through main cabin
Bowsprit for headsail
Small cockpit
Full keel
Head Forward
Galley sink next to companionway stairs

Matt
Old 10-03-2018, 20:53   #25

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post

Both are the ideal cruising boat for Bob Perry, I mean personally as his own boat:

"I love this design. For my style of sailing in the Pacific Northwest, I think this would be the ideal boat for me. ....It is spectacularly good looking in a contemporary style..... I have a very picky eye but there is nothing about the look of this boat I would change..... It’s a reflex for me to review each boat like it was designed for me. Most of the time the fit leaves a lot to be desired. Not this time. The Pogo 36 appears to fit like a glove. "

Lol....The full keel choice just looks like an old boat to me, taste is personal.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 00:10   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I can’t figure out how to save those thumbnails on an iPhone so I can really look at them.
When using a iPhone/iPad -

Put your finger on the "Atteched Thumbnails" image you would like to view/save. Press and hold. A pop-up menu will appear. Select the "Open in New Tab" option.

The full sized image will now open in a new tab that you can freely zoom and pan.

If you would like to save the image press and hold it again. Another pop-up menu will appear. Select the "Save Image" option and it will now be stored in your "Photos" app.

You can often do this trick outside of CF, like if you are reading someone's blog or whatever. They will have a smaller sized image on the blog page but if you press and hold you can get access to the full resolution image. Sometimes but not always. Also sometimes works with other web pages.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:33   #27

To each his own. What I see is a really traditional looking boat with a full keel so it maneuvers slowly, with 4 single berths and it would require a 60ft slip and cost close to $1M to build.
sean9c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:43   #28

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post

I just recall far too many put-downs of other boats during our meeting with Mr. Perry. I know he is a respected designer and has created many designs that are successful boats. But hearing him say "Island Piglet" when we looked at the design of an Island Packet. Hearing him say, "I'm sorry." when told about our fast, sea-kindly Kelley-Peterson 44. His arrogant, self-important attitude makes him difficult to be around.

As for the design, I carry plenty of sail with no bow overhang on a cutter of the same tonnage, but we have a 40' waterline (increased hull speed) and much more room for a good chain locker. Our keel is cut away fore and aft, giving much less wetted surface (drag) and I can turn the boat "on its keel" using the engine.
It sounds more like Perry knows all this but he has a design ready-made and available.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:47   #29

But then.... "Island Piglet" did fit pretty well for the older ones, they seem to be a bit less so now! Just like "Wetsnail" fit.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:57   #30

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean9c View Post
To each his own. What I see is a really traditional looking boat with a full keel so it maneuvers slowly, with 4 single berths and it would require a 60ft slip and cost close to $1M to build.
That is close to my thoughts.
Even with limitless funds, I doubt I would use carbon which can be compromised by a lightning strike. And I would design a fine-entry (not plumb bow) but as long a waterline as practical with no overhangs.
And I see no reason for a full-keel boat to have a 7' draft, which is marginable for many waterways and entrances.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cruise, cruiser