Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2015, 15:35   #1

Boat: Roberts 25
Roberts25

Hi Guys...
I have a Roberts25 which was launched around 1984. I recently had a very expensive repair job undertaken whereby the water lubricated bearing thru which the shaft runs seized up and parted company with the gearbox coupling...ouch, I hear you say... thus tearing the stern gland and allowing way too much water in for the bilges to cope... suffice to say that we were very fortunate that we could get her out and on to the hard very quickly lest we may be diving on her by now...

The underlying reason for this turned out to be what I would call a "serious design flaw"... not something I would have ordinarily attributed to someone with the reputation of Bruce Roberts...
In all boats I have been associated with, this bearing is lubricated via a water feed from the engine intake... in this case, the feed was drawn from two very small flute like intakes either side of the shaft casing where it enters the water...
These flutes, quite predictably, were blocked by growth and hence the bearing ran dry.. I have now had this feed disabled and a new feed from the engine intake engineered so hopefully the problem should not re-occur..

I'm just wondering whether any other Roberts25 owners have encountered a similar issue

Thanks for your time in reading this post

Marc
Miss Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 05:01   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Roberts25

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Marc.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote