Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2020, 21:59   #1

Boat: CAL 2-27
Roller furler

Quick question, Which roller furler would be best for a 27ft CAL 2-27. I am not rich and my boat is not fancy. She is serviceable but I am trying to get her up to speed for solo sailing. Installation will be done by a pro if need be but if I can avoid that cost with an idiot proof rigging method that would be good also. Any advise would be appreciated. The size of the jib is also a question. Do I go with a 100% or a 110% or a Genoa and keep it wrapped up to Jib size? Will I need a storm Jib? I am on Oahu and plan some interisland trips so there is that to be factored in to the mix.
Ric Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 22:22   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Roller furler

Obviously, your anticipating sailing in oewrry good breeze, but I'd still get above a 125% or so with a foam luff.

I like the Harken 00AL for smaller boats and it would be adequate for the Cal 27 which uses a 3/16" headstay but I think 7/32 will fit in the furler.

For long distance sailing, a removable solent stay would he desirable for a storm jib.
Old 26-09-2020, 17:05   #3

Boat: Bristol 30

Don't cheap out on it. I saved up, got a Facnor LX130 (its a size up for my 30 foot boat) and never looked back. You want one that works all the time, esp singlehanding. You don't want to ever have to question if your furler will work or not.
Old 26-09-2020, 17:59   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The big name manufacturers have pretty much worked all the kinks out of their furling systems so would buy the cheapest that will fit the bill. Have an old Harken Unit Zero Mk 2 on my 28' and a Profurl on the 35'. Both work fine. Schaefer probably makes the toughest gear but they are also the most expensive. Wait for a sale at West Marine, Defender or wherever and buy the one that's most discounted.

Sailed with a 150% on my Columbia 26 out of La Marianna Sailing Club for most of the daysailing off Waikiki. Used the working jib for crossing the channels. I'd go for a 135% plus or minus with a foam luff if your only going to have one primary sail. It will be the sail for general sailing up in the typical trades, will still provide plenty of Drive in the Lee of an Island or those occasional light wind days and will still maintain shape when reefed down to 110% or even smaller when the trades are really honking.

Installing the furler is not rocket science. Most use StaLok wire terminals which are easy to assemble. Pull down your headstay and size the furler to that stay. Will have to cut one of the extrusions to fit which is about the hardest part. The money you save on doing it yourself can be put into a Mast climber ATN Mastclimber | Single Handed Bosun Chair | Climbing the Mast or moutain climbing gear. which you'll need to do the installation and you'll often if stick with sailing.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 21:45   #5

Boat: Island Packet 29

If money is an object and the boat is small, Id just do hank on sails. I know all the cool kids at school have roller furling but hanks works just fine. My Cape Dory 28 had a roller on it that was old and needed to be replaced. Harken furler was going to cost about $1500 then $100/hr for install. I just told them to remove the old roller. Had Quantum convert my furler sail to hank-on for $130 including the brass hanks. So Im sailing for $230 and the hanks dont need maintenance, won't jam, I can carry back up sails, can swap sails in 3 minutes, emergency repairs you can pull the sail down and have it back up in minutes. Try that with a furler in the wind. Not happening. You can get a deck bag so you dont have to unhank it each time.

Dont discount hanks. It does have lots of advantages and its free. It's just not "cool".
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, roller furler