Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2023, 22:31   #1

Boat: Islander Bahama 30
Roller furler replacement: ESP?

Hi everyone,

I have an IB30, racer-cruiser but I am definitely more on the cruising side. I currently have a 15 year old Harken ESP unit 1 roller furler. The plastic base plate inside of it, on which the control line sits when furled, is cracked. The part is plastic and the screws have cracked in two places, so that it is only held together by half the original number of fasteners. It still works fine, but obviously it makes me a bit nervous as it's very expensive part to replace.

I found another ESP unit 1 new online for $1600. Given that the current one has lasted so long (most of that time before I owned the boat) I am sort of tempted to purchase the ESP. It costs half as much as a new Ocean. I am even tempted to buy the ESP and let it sit in a box until the day comes when I re-rig the entire board or the current unit finally breaks. I will probably re-rig my boat myself next year (either with swageless fittings or by removing the mast and sending in the current shrouds to be replicated, then installing them myself).

I am planning on having the boat another 5 to 10 years before I hope to move on to something else. I have been told by one rigging company local to me that the ESP was the one lousy product Harken ever made; of course, they were trying to sell me an Ocean. Is this true? Or is this a good idea?
zachduckworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2023, 23:19   #2

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: Roller furler replacement: ESP?

Have you called Harken about a replacement part? They are pretty good at supplying parts.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2023, 23:23   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Have you called Harken about a replacement part? They are pretty good at supplying parts.
No, but maybe I should. I figured since it's an older model they might not have replacement parts for it anymore. I'll reach out to them.
Old 22-05-2023, 06:42   #4

Community Sponsor

Definitely worth reaching out. Also some riggers hold onto old parts, so call around and ask. I feel like Bam at Oyster Bay Boatworks has a lot of old Harken parts kicking around.
The Yacht Rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 11:08   #5

Ahh… turns out I have a Mk III Unit 1. The spool assembly is the broken part, and they are still for sale at P2 Marine.
I’ll confirm this with Harken and see what they say.

Tags
furler, men, roller furler