Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2016, 05:31   #1
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Round the World..

Anyone know if there's been any more progress/info on the 'Solo around the World Race' in the tradition of 1967 and Knox Johnson/Motessier that was announced a while back.. invitation only for the participants.. or has it died and quietly shuffled away..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 05:56   #2

Re: Round the World..

Golden Globe Race - Golden Globe Race
scherzoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:04   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Round the World..

Quote:
Originally Posted by scherzoja View Post
Cheers mate..
I'll dive in and see whose in the 'runners'..

Old 11-12-2016, 21:57   #4

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Mark Sinclair on Coconut is based at our club. I have been following his work on Coconut with fascination. He has done a lot of sailing this year with a jury rigged mast, I believe this is part of the qualification process? It has been fascinating to watch him come and go past our boat on his way to clock up the hours I suppose.

I stopped and took photos of Coconut just a few days ago for dad, who is a retired naval architect and I knew would be interested.

Here she is sitting at the mast crane dock, having just had her mast refitted. Lots going on with her, she looks a little scruffy from a distance but when you get close you realise the work on her has been really top class. The chainplates alone are a work of art.

Of interest, Mark is selling his superb S&S 41, "Starwave" which is advertised for sale here in Adelaide and has paid up entry for the Solo Trans Tasman in 2018, if you are feeling really adventurous that's got to be the perfect boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coconut1.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	137894   Click image for larger version

Name:	coconut2.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	422.5 KB
ID:	137895  

Old 12-12-2016, 01:37   #5

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

There's another race going on a well. Anyone who finishes will win.
A non-stop unassisted singlehanded east to west circumnavigation in the sub 40 foot sailboat has yet to be done. Andy Lamont left Sydney a few todays ago in an attempt to be the first. He should be cruising past South Australia over the next few days.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:55   #6

Boat: Custom 55

I'd never heard of this race before now. It's great to see that there's going to be a RTW race that's accessible to a wider crowd.

It'll certainly be an adventure on those small boats, and a long one! I'm surprised that they won't allow a 40 footer in, considering that the 40' Joshua was also involved. There are a lot of replicas around, one or two of them might be interested.

Anyway, I hope it comes off well and some of these guys make it around. It will be interesting to see if the attrition rate is the same as the '68 race.
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 07:41   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee View Post
A non-stop unassisted singlehanded east to west circumnavigation in the sub 40 foot sailboat has yet to be done. Andy Lamont left Sydney a few todays ago in an attempt to be the first. He should be cruising past South Australia over the next few days.
That should be an interesting one.. potentially a lot more mileage to find the favourable winds.. I presume this is an individual attempt as and when.. and not the traditional 'Gather at the Line for the Off'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
I'd never heard of this race before now. It's great to see that there's going to be a RTW race that's accessible to a wider crowd.

It'll certainly be an adventure on those small boats, and a long one! I'm surprised that they won't allow a 40 footer in, considering that the 40' Joshua was also involved. There are a lot of replicas around, one or two of them might be interested.

Anyway, I hope it comes off well and some of these guys make it around. It will be interesting to see if the attrition rate is the same as the '68 race.
I was led to understand that unlike the original race which was 'All Comers'.. this one is by invitation only.. if you've the dosh you MAY get in...
Still.. as you say.. it'll be interesting to see how it develops.
Another variation is that this time there's a Fee of $3,000 (non refundable) to make the waiting list (no guarantee's) and then another $11,000 to Start..
Definitely rules out any 'Chancers' who may be interested.

Old 16-12-2016, 09:10   #8

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee View Post
What race is that?

I only find news of a record attempt. That is not a race:
Solo sailor Andy Lamont sets off on westward trip around world in non-stop and unassisted adventure - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

The article talks about a record for a non assisted circumnavigation with a boat with less than 40ft. Well, he only needs to finish it because nobody haver has done it with such a small boat but I wonder what is the value of that record in what regards performance?

Some years ago a French sailor has done that on a bit bigger boat but he has not trying to beat any record and I have heard that the solo French mail man that circumnavigated solo non stop on an old small boat and without assistance is going to do it in that sense to, but he does not talk about any record attempt, even if he is going to do it on his old boat, that has less than 40ft (a 1986 Jeanneau with 10.20m).
https://alainmaignan.wordpress.com/
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 09:32   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
What race is that?

I only find news of a record attempt. That is not a race:
Solo sailor Andy Lamont sets off on westward trip around world in non-stop and unassisted adventure - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

The article talks about a record for a non assisted circumnavigation with a boat with less than 40ft. Well, he only needs to finish it because nobody haver has done it with such a small boat but I wonder what is the value of that record in what regards performance?

Some years ago a French sailor has done that on a bit bigger boat but he has not trying to beat any record and I have heard that the solo French mail man that circumnavigated solo non stop on an old small boat and without assistance is going to do it in that sense to, but he does not talk about any record attempt, even if he is going to do it on his old boat, that has less than 40ft (a 1986 Jeanneau with 10.20m).
https://alainmaignan.wordpress.com/
Maybe the emphasis is on endurance of man and boat..
Not everything in life is performance related.

Old 16-12-2016, 09:38   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
They don't allow it because they are not crazy. They know, as well as the racers that a true non stop racing circumnavigation, that goes necessarily by low latitudes, made on a 40ft racing boat involves, too many risks to be reasonable as a sports event.

Yes it could be a crazy adventure but that is not about what racing is about, but to prove one is better and faster, not more crazy or lucky than the next guy around, especially when that luck, or lack of it involves serious life threatening risks. That is a bit for the same reason the best motorcycle racers don't race the TT on the Island of Man.

What they had was a circumnavigation race for 40class racers with some few stops, as a way for the organization to have at least some control regarding excessive weather patterns. Unfortunately that race was not a success, even if I find it a great idea, mostly because it was not attractive to French sponsors and none of the 40ft racers where sailed by top 40class racers.

Anyway one of the reasons was also because they find too dangerous to race at speed with a 40fter on the Southern Ocean at high latitudes. They are good but not crazy and they take safety vert seriously, a bit like F1 or Grand Prix motorcycle racers.

But the ones that made it learned a lot and today the winner of the last edition of that race, the New Zealander Conrad Colman is racing with the best on the Vendee Globe, sailing on a good 12th place.

Look at this images and to the face of the skipperone of the best on this race, Marco Nanini

https://vimeo.com/29512019
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 09:49   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Maybe the emphasis is on endurance of man and boat..
Not everything in life is performance related.
Do you think that one going leisurely around the world, even if without stopping is harder than racing a Open 60 at speed around the world? When even top sportsman talk about it like this:

"...There is lots of wind, lots of sea and the boat pounds. I have to keep the speed or everything will blow apart.

The Indian Ocean is the devil of the sea. You have to fight every day. It's winter. For three days I have very difficult conditions. It's mentally challenging. we have all disconnected our brains. We are trying to keep everything in one piece and salvage our boats.

It is very hard. We are prepared for this race but you never know what will happen next. It is impossible to have a minimum of comfort. Eating is impossible, we sleep wet. Even to open the door of the boat it's complicated because we go under water a lot.
Soon we will have 50 knots. I'm pretty happy to be with Enda and Rich. It helps to know that we are not alone...

To make things harder the autopilot malfunctions from time to time and I have to go outside with a mask and a hood to reset it. It's freezing cold. .."

Old 16-12-2016, 09:57   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Polux.. the boats entering are Under 40 feet.. so smaller than your 'too risky' evaluation..
Also.. Mottessiers boat was 39ft.. Suhaili was 32ft.. all the others including a 60ftr did not make it.

Old 16-12-2016, 10:07   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Do you think that one going leisurely around the world, even if without stopping is harder than racing a Open 60 at speed around the world? When even top sportsman talk about it like this:

"...There is lots of wind, lots of sea and the boat pounds. I have to keep the speed or everything will blow apart.

The Indian Ocean is the devil of the sea. You have to fight every day. It's winter. For three days I have very difficult conditions. It's mentally challenging. we have all disconnected our brains. We are trying to keep everything in one piece and salvage our boats.

It is very hard. We are prepared for this race but you never know what will happen next. It is impossible to have a minimum of comfort. Eating is impossible, we sleep wet. Even to open the door of the boat it's complicated because we go under water a lot.
Soon we will have 50 knots. I'm pretty happy to be with Enda and Rich. It helps to know that we are not alone...

To make things harder the autopilot malfunctions from time to time and I have to go outside with a mask and a hood to reset it. It's freezing cold. .."

Old 16-12-2016, 11:07   #14

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

There's rarely one that's not interesting (to folow). But after a while you hit a saturation point, & start saying that "it's only a race", or, "another one"? Which, if you do enough racing, well, it happens.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 11:19   #15
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Anyone know if there's been any more progress/info on the 'Solo around the World Race' in the tradition of 1967 and Knox Johnson/Motessier that was announced a while back.. invitation only for the participants.. or has it died and quietly shuffled away..

Yes, there was a large board room conference about it just yesterday:

1 sailor refused to come
2 got lost
I wrecked his car in the car park
1 went mad before the start
Mr Rolex abused Mr Volvo about sponsorships.
The Minute Taker wrote fiction
1 refused to leave the room after the meeting.

The only thing ratified was a Sub Committee to report on when the next meeting should be held

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
round the world