Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2022, 16:21   #31

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Rounding Cape Horn in CD 33 vs ASW II (merged)

Novice69 the 25-foot Vertue is another Cape Horn capable yacht. At least two have rounded Cape Horn. Bill Nance and the Hayes father and son did some long passages in their Vertues.
Cheers

https://woodenships.co.uk/sailing-ya...les-vertue-ii/
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2022, 16:29   #32
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Rounding Cape Horn in CD 33 vs ASW II (merged)

If you fancy catamarans a Bobcat 30 rounded Cape Horn West to East a few years ago..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2022, 17:23   #33

Boat: Allied Seawind II

I know of at least 2 Albin Vega's that have been around the Cape, verified. Either of the boats you list are better suited. I'm partial to the Seawind II, but the specs are similar (perhaps I could argue this or that detail is better) and the Dory is a fine ship as well and designed by an extremely competent architect.
rsvmille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2022, 18:22   #34

I'm assuming you have no sailing experience. What made choose these two boats.

Before you jump into which of thes would be good for southern ocean get much more experience.

Even if the boats are capable you may not be.

Our Hans Christian 34 was capable but not the sailing we wanted

We did central America and Panama canal and had a blast
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2022, 19:21   #35

Boat: Columbia 50

I’ve owned an asw II, and a cd28. While I’m only a coastal cruiser at the moment, in my opinion The asw was, by far, a better-built boat. The cd had a crazy chainplate system, with mild steel bar glued to the interior hull and deck, with bolts holding above-deck fittings. My stbd side rotted out and I had to replace it…Not sure if the 33 is the same. Engine access was awkward, and the wiring was rudimentary. The boat was somewhat tender, as it’s somewhat narrow, too.

My sea wind just seemed more solid every way you looked at it. Rock solid rack and pinion steering, stronger rig, and with the mizzen she fairly sailed hands off upwind.
I was just much more comfortable, much more willing to take on bigger conditions in the asw II.

My 2 cents,
Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 15:27   #36

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Rounding Cape Horn in CD 33 vs ASW II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novice69 View Post
Hi I've made 2 postings with little to no substantial response on my question. I thought I would post here in the hope of some experienced and salty advice hence my user name. To be concise, I am looking into two boats one being a Cape Dory 33, the other a Allied Seawind MkII. My question would be if one had to choose between the 2 to sail the Southern Ocean and round Cape Horn, which one would you choose and why. I have no intentions of making this venture, so why do I ask? It appears to be one of if not the most challenging voyage to undertake. Having peace of mind know you have a boat that is capable of such, would increase my confidence to venture further and add to consider which one to chose Lastly, forgive if this question appear hypothetically gullible or naive and not realistic.

Forum members are all around the world. Expecting many responses in under 24hr is a bit of wishful thinking. It now coming to the end of the business day in North America where those 2 boats are probably most common so you will probably see more responses.

I’ll probably look at the 2 boats in a couple hours after work.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 19:06   #37

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

The ASW2 has about 9500lb of non-ballast weight and is 31.58' LoD.
vs
CD33- 7800lb - 33.04'

So the ASW2 has an extra 1700lb (22%) in the hull which is 1.5' shorter. Assuming similar construction quality and methods (bulkheads vs. liner) the ASW2 is probably significantly stronger.

On the other hand the CD is significantly faster.
PHRF
CD-186
ASW-231
I would expect the CD33 to average an additional 10-12nm/d

A large drifter and a mizzen staysail might even up the difference a little.

For a couple, the CD probably has the better layout, with a quarterberth for storage and the occasional guest and 2 settees for the couple to sleep on underway.

For a family the ASW is probably better, it seems to have 2 pilot berths which would be good for 1 kid plus storage or for 2 kids.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/se...i-ketch-allied
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/cape-dory-33
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2022, 06:45   #38

Borrow an old Catalina 22 and wait for a good
Winter norther to come barreling down into the
Florida Straits,then do the crossing from No Name Hbr
To Bimini and back,THEN think about doing the Horn in a
Wash Tub...
mindsofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2022, 07:33   #39

Boat: no boat any more

your nick "Novice" & the mentioning of "Cape Horn" in your first post disqualifies you from any right to an answer, any!
Old 17-11-2022, 10:26   #40

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I don't think he's planning the trip, he just wants to know which boat is the more sea-worthy.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2022, 14:32   #41

Boat: Volkscruiser

Mindsofman a cheaper and quicker option would be to get a plastic barrel and just go over the Niagra falls. If you can exit the barrel with a smile on your face, then you have a good chance of enjoying a cape horn rounding.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2022, 15:01   #42

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

We just sold our allied seawind II after 14 years and thousands of miles. I don’t doubt for a moment that the boat could do the horn…..the human would be cold.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2022, 15:54   #43

I've considered whether to go through the canal or around the horn and now think it would be easier(cheaper/smarter) for my potential catamaran (wharram)to go on a trailer. i would add that there may be better times of the year to do the horn? dodgeing bad weather and conditions. Lots of boats can do all kinds of crazy stuff, circle the planet. Is it a good idea? maybe not.
As a landlubber i have watched some scary videos of large ships at sea.
My navy commander neighbor years ago told me a 600 foot destroyer was too small. I mentioned my 38 foot catamaran idea and he laughed a lot.
ron17571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 08:30   #44

My preference is the ASW. Its actually about 1000k lbs heavier and a foot or so longer waterline than the CD33. Without using a tape it appears the ASW has a slightly longer keel with less cutaway than the CD. I prefer ketches for heavy weather handling. Mizzen sail is handled from the cockpit and the mast is friendly for holding on in bad weather. First reef is generally drop the mizzen. Mounting a windvane can be problematic with the mizzen boom so that is a personal consideration. The downsides to me are double masts for raising/lowering and more rigging maintenance/cost. Geared quadrant steering ls simple and no cables or hydraulics to deal with..takes less cockpit space than traditional wheels. As already posted, if doing the CD carefully research the well documented chainplate issues.

I've owned sloops, cutters and ketches and found pinching upwind is way more uncomfortable than easing the sheets no matter what the rig. Nobody likes continued jumping off wave tops and burying the bow for long days.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2022, 08:48   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
your nick "Novice" & the mentioning of "Cape Horn" in your first post disqualifies you from any right to an answer, any!

This was your second posting, From what I understand this is a free forum and I have the right to post. FYI. These guys rounded Cape Horn while filming with 0 sailing exp basically.

It can be done. See link, this https://www.hellorhighseas.com/about
Novice69 is offline   Reply With Quote