Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2016, 16:50   #1

Rust on keel bolt - tanzer 26

Hey guys - just looked over a boat which I am in need of some advice. The washers appears to have some rust on them but after scraping away any rust on he bolt the steel quickly appears. The washers seem a little more worn. Is this normal? There is some standing water as the porthole was left open (which I truly believe is the case).

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	454.3 KB
ID:	131681  
jc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 18:15   #2

Re: Rust on keel bolt - tanzer 26

Looks like the bolts are stainless steel and the washers were made of just steel. So if I do purchase would I be looking at replacing them all.. Or is this relatively normal? Thanks!
Old 25-09-2016, 09:26   #3

..any advice? thanks!
Old 25-09-2016, 10:13   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Hi jc,
I have a few cents worth but first I'd like to know the make and model of the boat ("Tanzer 26"?) and the keel material please.
Cheers

Ps this one?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanzer_26
but can't find the keel material. .
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 10:43   #5

Hi Erik, thanks for the help - here is some info on the keel. That wikipedia link looks like the correct boat but it suggests different years of manufacture as the boat I looked at was late 70's

"The fin keel is cast in iron and is fastened to the reinforced hull with half-inch diameter S/S bolts. The keel flange is recessed in the hull to provide a completely fair, non-turbulent underwater surface."

Here is a link to the brochure

http://www.tanzer-26.com/Information...6_Brochure.pdf
Old 25-09-2016, 14:50   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

jc, just my two cents, but those "washers" look like mild steel to me, and I would want to replace. But, you may be looking at a problema, because if the water has got into the keel itself, the iron will rust and expand, which can cause serious problems.

Ann
Old 26-09-2016, 05:29   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Ann is correct. I would have thought the boat has a lead keel if the bolts are SS, so I was a bit surprised to read the keel is cast iron. Are you considering buying that boat? While doing google searches I saw this group:

Welcome to the Tanzer 26 website Bienvenue sur le site des Tanzer 26

There might be some useful information there.

But for now I would make sure the bolts are not leaking and there is no damage to keel from grounding which might have damaged the keel/hull joint and or the bolts. If all looks ok do like Ann suggests. Consider replacing the bolts at same go, I know I would. Not necessarily a big issue but I would make sure its not and not becoming one.
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 05:58   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

If the ballast is cast iron then it likely has nuts in the pockets. Dry the boat remove the filler. Undo the nut, pull the bolt, replace the washer. Replace the bolt if it is corroded. It will.

SS fasteners are common on cast keels in some productions / countries. We have cast keel with 22 ss bolts holding it.

What I am surprised with is the washers being two single units rather than a sister plate. Cheapo.

No matter what the reason, you want those washers out of the system. Consider using a sister plate too. Consider sealing the top with sika when driving new bolts.

The ballast is UNLIKELY lead. In lead ballast what you see in the bilge are nuts, not bolts.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel