Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2021, 00:39   #1

Boat: Bavaria C57
Rusty stainless steel anchor chain

All,

In the process of buying a new yacht I asked the broker to replace the galvanised anchor chain with stainless steel suitable for the Mediterranean. On a visit last week to see how the upgrades were going I notice that the new chain is showing small amounts of rust on each of the links join weld. I have not raised this with the broker yet and wanted you opinions if this is normal or should I cause a fuss? The chain that showing rust is the length between the anchor swivel and the entrance to the chain locker, ie exposed to the elements. I have not looked in the chain locker at the rest of the chain as I can't get access at the moment (need to go through the bow crew quarters which is full of stuff). The anchor and chain has never been deployed.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Mike
Haddock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 01:21   #2

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
Re: Rusty stainless steel anchor chain

After heating (such as welding) SS it should be pickled, an acid wash that removes the oxidation on the surface, if this isn't done it will rust.

I'm not saying this is what has happened but it seems possible. I would think all SS chain makers would do this in some form, but maybe not. Maybe it is Chineesium ?
Old 22-05-2021, 03:03   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression
Re: Rusty stainless steel anchor chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock1 View Post
All,

In the process of buying a new yacht I asked the broker to replace the galvanised anchor chain with stainless steel suitable for the Mediterranean. On a visit last week to see how the upgrades were going I notice that the new chain is showing small amounts of rust on each of the links join weld. I have not raised this with the broker yet and wanted you opinions if this is normal or should I cause a fuss? The chain that showing rust is the length between the anchor swivel and the entrance to the chain locker, ie exposed to the elements. I have not looked in the chain locker at the rest of the chain as I can't get access at the moment (need to go through the bow crew quarters which is full of stuff). The anchor and chain has never been deployed.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Mike
Stainless steel chain has high resists to corrosion, Unfortunately, stainless steel is not fully stained or rust-proof, it is just more resistant to corrosion. high salinity environments such as seawater can remove the native protective layer of chromium oxide from surface and can cause stainless steel corrosion. Removing surface rust from surfaces improves the appearance(polish, chemical) In a marine environment it must be made clear as to whether the stainless steel is submerged in seawater, or is simply near enough to the seashore such that it can be attacked by the chloride present in seawater by splashing or carried by the onshore breeze.
When the stainless steel will be submerged, a pitting resistance equivalent number greater than 40 is typically specified as the minimum for resistance to seawater. Stainless steels, such as super austenitic stainless steels (for example UNS S31254 or N08367, or super duplex stainless steels for example UNS S32760 or S32750 meet this requirement.
Near the seashore, 316L has typically considered the minimum grade for use in such a marine environment. simply you need maintenance

i trust only Maggi chain Product search
and one company I USA https://www.peerlesschain.com/produc...ndlass-Chains/
Maggi or Peerless chain have a mark on the link but a lot of Chinese simply put this mark on his chain. I when order always directs from factory only. I before ask factory is www-some-shop.xxx use authentic original chain. and I finished with an open account in the factory, is a pain in the ass but I sleep good.

and maybe one company in Germany (but i did not tested) Ketten Wälder cromox stainless steel chain
https://www.cromoxus.com
https://www.ketten-waelder.de/de/?dt=1621677325817
more is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, stainless steel, steel