Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2010, 15:07   #1

Boat: Corsair f28r
S & S Question

Hi all, have just found this webforum and have been reading a lot of the info on here, it is great. I have a question of my own which I would love if some of you S&S owners or past owners could answer.
I love the classic design of the boats and will I hope in the next few years be purchasing a 40 odd foot Yawl, but I have heard from a so called yacht expert that should you run aground in a S&S, they have a lot of trouble with, when the flood tide comes in these yachts fill up before they float.
Couls someone come back with an experienced reply to this as I have had this dream of sailing the oceans on an S&S for a very long time.
Thaks to all.
ernst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 15:43   #2

Boat: CS 36t
It is dependent on the specific boat. The ways that water can enter are through the companionway, portlights, hatches, stovepipes, or through hull discharges. Most of these are placed along the centerline and are made to seal tightly (not as true for some older wooden boats). Through hulls are a common source of flooding when the tide goes out and need to all have a way of shutting them including those above the water line. More than 1 boat has sunk due to a bilge pump line that discharges in the topsides becoming a siphon.

The hatches along the centerline and the companionway will let some water in on older boats so it is important that they remain above the water. The major determining factor here is the volume distribution. A boat with greater beam and greater draft will lay over further than a boat with less beam and less draft. Perhaps this is the reason that the comment was made that S&S boats suffer from this problem since they tend to be narrow and deep.

I have seen two S&S boats aground and laying on their topsides and neither flooded when the tide came back in. They may well have designed a boat that would but it is not my experience. Also remember that the above discussion was for a relatively flat bottom, any boat will flood if the keel is on top of a single rock allowing it to lay over enough.

I would certainly not let the comment you heard deter you from an S&S boat, they are truly top notch safe designs. Everyone runs aground at some point but it is relatively rare for the boat to end up completely on its side. Where do you plan to sail? Many locations don't even have enough tide for this to matter.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 16:44   #3

Boat: a sailing boat
Well, if you look up S&S design list then you will find they designed dozens boats. Now, which one are we talking about?

Besides, I would think more about how a design sails that how it dries. (Accidental) drying is what you will be trying to avoid at all costs.

So I look at say, the Swan 40 or 43 and cannot quite see how it should have any design build-in problems with floating when the tide floods.

S&S owners - enlighten me, before you get all flooded out ;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 21:21   #4

Boat: Corsair f28r
Thanks to you for the reply

Thanks to you for the reply- Finisterre is my design of choice and as you would expect water can enter hatches etc if left open. Just wanted an opion either way. i don't plan to run aground but we all do at some stage
Thanks for the replies
Cheers
Ernst
ernst is offline   Reply With Quote