Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 04:06   #1

S2 9.2

So, after spending God knows how much time browsing through Yacht World, I have stumbled across a S2 9.2 that seems to meet all the requirements I am looking for. It looks to be in good condition, with a brand new 18 HP yanmar, a large complement of sails (most of which are under 3 years old) including a fully battened main, new standing rigging, a fresh bottom job, wind gen and solar panel, new batteries (4), expanded tankage, gps/radar/autopilot/ect.

All of this at a price well within norms for an S2. I am actually a little suspicious of the price to be honest. (Which means I will be getting a survey, so if anyone knows a good surveyor in NC that they would recommend let me know.)

I am purchasing the boat for coastal cruising and short passages such as taking her to the Bahamas. Eventually, I would like to sail down the South American coast to Patagonia.

I know she will not do as well in heavy weather as a larger displacement boat, but other than that does anyone have any insight into S2 sailing characteristics? I have not yet had the chance to sail on one. Any other info such as prevalent maintenance issues, livability, ect would be greatly appreciated.
pilot_wpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:21   #2

Boat: Boatless
Sailed two, good little coastal cruisers...But I would put her on a freighter if I was going to Patagonia, not that easy to get to Brasil and further south.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:26   #3

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot_wpe View Post
I know she will not do as well in heavy weather as a larger displacement boat, but other than that does anyone have any insight into S2 sailing characteristics? I have not yet had the chance to sail on one. Any other info such as prevalent maintenance issues, livability, ect would be greatly appreciated.
She's a pointer, not a runner, that's for sure. I raced against an S2 in my PHRF class and got to see its stern plenty of times. I like them, and they are fast and nimble boats, but beyond coastal or fair-weather short haul would, I think, be optimistic as they are light and easily pushed around by waves. I sail on Lake Ontario, home of light air (good for an S2) and heavy air with short, square chop (not so good!)

Never seent the inside, but I doubt they differ much from their 30 foot classmates.

If the price is right, go for it. Opt for fun sailing. You'll learn to cope with the limits of it as you find them, if you find them.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:15   #4

Would you say the same about the 11.0A? The displacement is still a little on the light side, but they seem to be a bit closer to what you would expect out of a 36 footer...
pilot_wpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:23   #5

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
I've never seen a 11.0, so I can't comment.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote