Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2017, 10:57   #16

Re: S2 9.2 Center Cockpit

Regarding the Yanmars:
The older 3QM30 engine was a lower rpm, heavier, old school type of diesel. So realistically, it's actually a bigger more powerful engine (in the same rating) than the GM series, which rates it's HP at high rpm. If HP curves can be found for both, comparing them at the same lower rpm... say 2500 rpm, would be useful. I'm going from memory here.
I have had both engines. Both my GM series failed early in their life due to piston issues. (early 90's engines) I must say though, it's not super common, but does occur. There are a ton of GM engines out there. I think there are a few on this forum that have had the piston issue occur.
Of course, the downside is the QM are older and maybe parts are an issue at some point. But if you can get a good one not worn out, it could last a long time. Especially for the use you indicate.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:17   #17

Boat: Chrysler 26, swing keel

thanks for the info on QM vrs. GM models. Makes sense. Just got back from our morning walk and I'm going to do a google search to learn more.

Best,
Richard
Jarel Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 12:06   #18

well, we're back from our "tour".
Mscurits: THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! You guys are great! Tresa and I enjoyed connecting with your both.

Now for the nitty-gritty:

Well, I expected the boat to "feel" smaller than the photos, but not as much as the reality of it...

Tresa and I have gone over this for quite a while... into the night...

Looks like we're changing our approach.
Going to Keep Dayenu and finish up the upgrades and sail her for some longer periods, looking at the Sea of Cortez...

Tresa doesn't retire for 2.5 years, so we still have plenty of time to get our affairs in order, hopefully re-visit mscurtis's boat for another tour, hopefully when she's empty. LOL!

We're also looking a little closer at the S2 11C (36')... I'm guessing that it is substantially larger inside, but not going to get my hopes up as high as they've been.

We realized that what we "want" to do is to move onto our next boat as permanently as our ages allow... Tresa brought up the reality of what that means, and it turns out, for both of us, that means more space inside. (Again, creature comforts far outweigh sailing performance and we're not looking for a blue water boat.)

We ABSOLUTELY LOVED the center cockpit and deck layout... We're definitely sold on an aft cabin which more than likely means a center cockpit.

I'm wondering about the cost differences between maintaining a 30' vrs a 36' boat... I've read TONS of threads for years here and have read a lot about the size of the boat raising maintenance costs by way more than the percentage of extra length.

I think, after a while, when we get our thoughts, minds and hearts separated and come up with more concise questions and ideas for other possible boat choices, I'll start another thread.

OK... back to work here.
Best,
Richard
Old 18-09-2017, 12:16   #19

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I saw my first S2 9.2 CC on Saturday- never knew such a thing existed! It was sailing on Little Sodus Bay (Fairhaven) off Lake Ontario. I didn't catch the stern to see the port of hail, it may be local to LSB, which has only two marinas and one yacht club (Fairhaven YC), so if it lives on the bay you may be able to track it down. I did not see any "for sale" sign.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 12:32   #20

Thanks for looking!
We're definitely NOT ready to buy yet! LOL! We've got a little over 2 years to make our final decision on what boat then find one we're willing to go through the process of inspecting, surveying and offering...

My "gut" (and my honey), tells me that the S29.2 is just going to be too small for what we really want... I guess we're hoping to find "the boat", that when we climb down the companionway, hits us in the face with:" Yes! I could liver here!"... Of course,w e're still trying to keep overall length down...

Right now, we' willing to look at boats up to 36'-37'... But we REALLY do not want to start getting close to 40'.

We both come from long histories of long distance back packing, bicycle and canoe touring, so we're really used to "roughing it"... In a boat candidate, we don't need lavish, but we do need some space.

Details that struck us as no deal on the S2 9.2 include having to really bend over to go through the "tunnel" between the main cabin and the aft cabin. In the head, although floor plan was pretty larger, it was the same deal... you had to bend over. Tub/shower was sit down only. Both of these issues were on account of the center cockpit seats dropping low from the cabin ceiling...

The photos we've seen of the S2 11C "looked" more spacious, but we're not going to fall into getting our hopes up too "high" (pun intended. LOL!)

Other boats we've "glanced" at include Watkins, Endevour, Gulfstar, Morgan and Irwin... Low on the that list include Morgan, Gulfstar and Irwin... although I haven't had any time to so any preliminary research, other than thinking the Morgan's are too old, learning that craftsmanship on the Irwin is lacking, but again, we're just BEGINNING to start looking at other possible candidates hopefully, under 36'...

Thanks again!
Richard
Old 18-09-2017, 14:02   #21

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Richard,

I think that you are running into a generic problem that exists with center cockpit yachts less than 40+ feet in length: the big aft cabin means that the saloon is small... one of those inconvenient facts!

Many yotties disagree with our opinion, but for us, devoting so much of limited volume to sleeping quarters is a poor allocation of resources. After all, one only spends around 1/3 of your time aboard in those quarters, and for the most part you are unconscious during that time. The saloon and galley is where you spend the bulk of your below-decks hours, so for us, that's where you should 'spend" your available space, making it as large and open as possible in the length of the boat.

The center vs aft cockpit argument will rage on no matter what I think. I know what has worked for Ann and I for our many years of cruising and living aboard. Our previous boat was a 36 foot ex one tonner race boat. Aft cockpit, quarter berths, pilot berths and a V berth where we preferentially slept at anchor. Not a typical cruising boat, but she was our home for 17 years and some 86,000 miles. The saloon area was relatively large and comfortable, the galley worked well, even at sea, and she sailed like a witch!

My thought is just that if you are limited to <37 feet or so, perhaps you should start looking more at aft cockpit yachts.

good luck with the search, and meanwhile enjoy your current boat as much as you can!

Jim
Old 18-09-2017, 14:28   #22

Hi Jim,
Thanks for your input. Really appreciate it... rear or center cockpit might have been up for discussion for us before we saw the S29.2... We "knew" we like the center cockpit, but didn't realize it would be on our must have list until afterwards... The real issue was space down below: Size of the salon (on the 9.2), but especially the lack of headroom in the head, the walk through to the aft cabin and especially the lack of headroom in the aft cabin... Just barely enough room to sit up straight....

For Tresa and I, our "bedroom" is as important for us as our entertaining area... We absolutely do not want to sleep in a V-Berth and we don't want to have to pull out some settee to convert to our bed... We just want to leave the main cabin behind and go to our separate bedroom.... We're looking at this next boat for us primarily as a live-aboard and a cruiser, second.

I TOTALLY follow and agree with your about the allocation of space between fore and aft in a center cockpit. Give in one place, have to take away from another. LOL! We've always been attracted to "small" spaces though... so a "cozy" main salon is fine with us as long as it's not cramped...

The S2 9.2 had super low headroom in the aft cabin and walk-through and head... THAT was the deal breaker for us... Just watched a YouTube video of a walk through of the S2 11 C... WOW! 6' standing headroom in the aft cabin! That's something we can live with!

We spend as much time in our bedroom as we do in our living room here at home. More fun to sit on a bed to play board games, play instruments etc... (at least for us...) The only times we spent more time in our main salon, was inviting other boaters over for dinner.

The video I saw today of the interior was great because the person filming was 6' tall and included himself in the video for size reference. Something I've never seen before in video or photos... Seeing him stand in the aft cabin and then shoot the space around him really presented a sense of space that otherwise I wouldn't have gotten. From what I saw, I'm super pleased. Will share with Tresa when she gets home to see her take.

I'll come back to share her thoughts...

Thanks again!

PS: I'm always open to something different, even when it sounds as if I'm dead set on the S2 11 C! LOL! Never know what I might miss if I don't keep my eyes open!

Best,
Richard
Old 18-09-2017, 17:06   #23

Hi Jim,
Back again after re-reading your post.
17 years! 86,000 miles!

Wow!
I'd love to pick your brain! Questions about the lifestyle, where have you gone, what kind of sailing... Sounds like your boat is your "home"...

We're probably more suited to asking questions in the live-aboard forum, but it sure sounds like you have LOTS of experience!

And yes, we will continue to use our existing boat and squeeze as much fun out of her as we ca before we move onto the next stage of our sailing/cruising/live-aboard lives.

Thanks again for sharing!
Best,
Richard
Old 27-09-2017, 10:16   #24

Re: now looking for an S2 11 center cockpit LOL!

Well,
Tresa and I have looked at a LOT of "other" possible candidates for our next boat, but keep coming back to the S2 Center Cockpit. This time, the 36' (11 meter) version.

We're planning to escape the snow here over the holidays and going down to Los Angles to visit some of our sailing buddies. One is a yacht broker and I'll be asking her the same question I'm going post here:

We're hoping to find someone in the southern California area (Long beach, Marina del Rey, Ventura, etc...), that has an S2 11 Center Cockpit, that would be willing to let us come aboard and take a tour... (We don't need to sail or motor (although that would be wonderful and we'd be willing to help by paying for that).

We really do LOVE this boat, (especially the layout below), and after searching quite a few on-line listings, we see that we might be able to pick one up for $25k to $35k, which is within our budget (which includes what we'd expect to lay out for refit, sails, rigging, engine repairs etc...).

I'm going to start a new thread in this forum hoping to locate one we can tour.

We both want to extend our thanks to everyone here (especially Mscurits... Thank you so much to BOTH of you!)

I see that this is a learning experience and we're both enjoying the journey searching for our next boat!

Best from us both,

Richard & Tresa

Tags
center cockpit, cockpit