Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2012, 18:47   #1
tpm

Sabre 30 vs Sabre 32

I can find reviews on the Sabre 30, but none on the Sabre 32. Numbers look similar between these two models, but can't find info on why Sabre stopped the 32 after 4 years of production and switched over to the S-30.

Would they both be similar sailing on Lake Erie? Could they both do about the same in the steep chop and light air days? I'd like to get one of these this year for a first boat.
tpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 20:32   #2

OTTER is a 1986 Sabre Mk III. I had the same question as you... I surmise the LOA reduction was related to racing rules? Actually, OTTER is about 32' LOA now due to addition of a fancy bowsprit/anchor roller. I've had this boat for three seasons....love her,
Bob on OTTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 20:45   #3

Boat: Freedom 35
Re: Sabre 30 vs Sabre 32

The Sabre 30 did not replace the 32. Sabre began building the 30 in 1979; ther very different 30 Mk III was built from 1986 to 1993. The 32 was built from 1983 to 1987. At the same time, Sabre was not only building the 30 but the 34 as well. I suspect they stopped because of meager sales (only 87 were built). There is a very active and helpful Sabre owners group on Yahoo. I'm sure they will be glad to answer your questions.
Al Lorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 06:52   #4
tpm

Re: Sabre 30 vs Sabre 32

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help. Only review I found on the S32 was a Good Old Boat article. Maybe it's not unusual for models not to get more reviews. I'll be traveling this weekend to look at Sabre 30s and a 32. I hope either one would be a good first boat to be used only as a cruiser. I'll check out the users group when I get back.

Only other difference I heard was that the 32 might be better in heavy air, and the 30 better in lighter air.
tpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 07:38   #5

I love OTTER... I'm not a bluewater guy, yet, so OTTER serves me VERY well on Ches Bay. I'll leave the seaworthy discussion to others more informed... But she is my fourth boat, and best yet. She sails closehauled very well, and IMO isn't tender. I have the 5'3" draft. Fin keel, tracks very well...also Maxprop. I just retired from Coast Guard and have been spending a lot of wonderful time in OTTER. I'm biased, but OTTER is a great boat to learn on. I also believe Sabre would be easier to re sell in a casual cruiser market.
Bob on OTTER is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sabre