Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2010, 05:00   #16
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I seriously considered buying a Sabre, but my wife preferred the interior layout and accommodations of the IP 380. I liked it too, so we bought it and couldn't be more pleased. The IP 380 is newer model than the two you're looking at, but perhaps my observations will strike a responsive chord with you.

First, don't put too much credibility in the negative opinions of folks who've never sailed an IP for any length of time. There's a lot of BS being re-circulated by people with no first-hand experience concerning comfort and speed that doesn't match reality. Our experience includes 16,000 nm or so of sailing in the Chesapeake, the eastern Caribbean, and on offshore passages (~7,500 nm of the total). I couldn't be happier with the boat's comfort level, safety, load-carrying ability, and performance. Sailing off the wind in very light conditions is her weak point, but I solved that with an asym spinnaker. Being a cutter-rigged, full keel design, she didn't point as high as a Sabre would. That never seemed to be an issue for us, since we weren't round-the-buoy racers.

In comparison with other boats in the three offshore cruising rallies we did, and our yacht club cruises on the Chesapeake, I'd put her sailing performance in the upper third, and in the upper quartile if the winds were over 15 kts. Same with comfort level. On a really rough trip to Bermuda with a number of other boats, we arrived ahead of a Hunter 380, a 40' cat and a few other larger boats, having enjoyed hot meals every night, while most of the rest were eating peanut butter from the jar, munching handfuls of trail mix, and sleeping on the cabin soles.

Sorry for coming off too enthusiastically, but I really can't say enough about the IP's performance, quality, factory support, owner community....etc.
Old 18-10-2010, 06:00   #17

Boat: Allures 44
Quote:
The IP just kept her course and wallowed happily.... I might ask you if speed is your first criteria why you are buying a sailboat and not a power boat but nevermind.
Because I don't need to race, but I prefer not to wallow.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 06:53   #18

A question has been eating at me as I follow this thread: Why is the choice between a IP and a Sabre 42 -- more precisely, what about the Sabre 38?
JimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 07:06   #19

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfarrar View Post
Because I don't need to race, but I prefer not to wallow.
Euphemism. Pointed much better than expected and made close to 7 knots in awful weather. That's sailing...
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 16:27   #20

Thank you for all the wonderful comments!
Hud3- your comments echo what I have heard from many loyal IP owners that have more experience than I will probably ever get a chance of enjoying and I really think they are great boats. I'll be taking one from Sarasota to the Bahamas the first week of November, an IP 42, should be a great trip and a great learning experience!

I put in an offer on a boat today, but don't want to jinx it, I will definitely post up if it goes through, right now just anxious waiting to hear tomorrow!
lawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 16:56   #21

Boat: Jeanneau 419
I sailed with another couple for about a half a day on their Sabre 42 CB a few years ago.

But first I have to say that I've been racing med sized boats for over 30 years, so I look for performance characteristics even when cruising.

Nice boat solid, it was blowing about the low 20's with a 3-4' chop.

Boat went well but couldn't point upwind worth a dam, CB and Dacron sails that I didn't like.

It will get you there in style.
Jimbo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sabre