Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2020, 11:12   #1

Boat: Contest 35
Sail Loft Recommendations

Hey All - I’m in the market for a new main for my Contest 35. Berthed in Clearwater, FL, I’m wonder if the forum has recommendations for a regional sail loft? I’m looking for recommendations based on personal experience. Who have you used that provided in depth technical knowledge, excellent customer service, and a solid value? I welcome all thoughts? Thanks!
rtooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 21:02   #2
cruiser

Re: Sail Loft Recommendations

I have several times read good things about Mack Sails and I believe they are right there in Florida. If I were in your situation, I'd give them a call. Good luck.

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 06:09   #3

Boat: Contest 35

Thanks Paul!
rtooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 09:34   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

I also recommend Mack Sails, out of Stuart, FL.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 14:09   #5

Boat: Catalina 470

rtooh,
I have personally done business with Mack Sails (owners / brothers Travis Blaine and Colin Mack), for a couple decades! (and have always been very happy with my sails, rigging, electronics, etc...)

{my older brother was doing business with them a few more years longer than I....and my parents did business with their Dad (Brad Mack, of Mack-Shaw Sails, in Ft. Lauderdale) back in the 1970's....and we have always been more than pleased with all their work!}

In all honesty, using the exact criteria you ask for here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtooh View Post
I’m looking for recommendations... <snip>... that provided in depth technical knowledge, excellent customer service, and a solid value?
I'm not sure there is another loft, other than Mack Sails, that meets your requirements...

I'm not related to them, I don't get any commission nor discounts....just a longtime satisfied customer!

Call Mack Sails, ask to speak to Travis (one of the owners), and tell him I (john MacDougall) recommended that you call.

[btw, they are still making sails during the Covid19 crisis, but are shorter staffed...their rigging/electronics crews are safe-at-home]

Mack Sails
3129 SE Dominica Terrace
Stuart, FL 34997
772-283-2306

www.macksails.com

http://macksails.com/sail-cloth/
http://macksails.com/sails/

Ironically, just 2 months ago, I answered a similar question here....for a gentleman sailing a 42' Island Packet...
Have a look at that thread here:

Sail loft/sail recommendations?
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3123916

BTW, due to the increase in rigging work and other service work (refrigeration, electronics, etc.), Colin Mack spun off that part of their business last year into "Mack Service"....but, it's still the same guys...

And, as I have tried to convey over the years, these guys are actual sailmakers, nor sails salesmen....
Oh, and they're sailors too! (they grew up sailing/cruising around Florida, Bahamas, and Caribbean....and they continue to own their own boats and sail to this day...)

When you talk to Travis, you're getting the scoop straight from the guy who is designing the sail for you....and he is sitting just a few yards away from the loft table where your sail will be cut and sewn/stitched (from high-quality cloth, not the cheap stuff)...right here in the USA (Stuart, FL....just a couple hour drive from you)

BTW, I make this same recommendation to everyone...regardless of where they may be located....
Mack isn't a "regional loft", they are a world-wide supplier of high quality sails, with a well-deserved global reputation....they are just located right here in Florida...
So, while you asked about a "regional loft", I'm not clear on what exactly you require....but, I suspect you will be happy with Mack Sails!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtooh View Post
Hey All - I’m in the market for a new main for my Contest 35. Berthed in Clearwater, FL, I’m wonder if the forum has recommendations for a regional sail loft? I’m looking for recommendations based on personal experience. Who have you used that provided in depth technical knowledge, excellent customer service, and a solid value? I welcome all thoughts? Thanks!
You asked for personal recommendations, from someone that has bought sails from them (which I have, as well as used them to replace all my rigging, make up custom lines, do repairs, etc...)....
And, I highly recommend Mack Sails....it's just that they're are a world-wide supplier of high-quality sails, which might not meet your request of a "regional loft"

Please read over that previous thread, follow the links to their website (and read about sail cloth and their sails), and give Travis a call (tell him I recommended you call and talk to him)....and you'll be a happy sailor!

Fair winds.

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 14:42   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I purchased a new 135 jib from North in St Petersburg last year and a new main from Sail Technologies in St Petersburg two months ago. IMHO both tri-radial sails have a similar build quality.

The difference is the main was built by a local shop where the owner measured the sail and supervised the build. I even got to visit my sail as it was born. I know if there is an issue, I can go to the factory and work it out. The North Sails jib was measured by a salesperson, built who knows where, and if there is an issue with the sail, I will be dealing with a corporation vs. the owner who lives in town.

The jib was purchased from a major “name” because it made me feel better. The main was purchased second. The deciding factor in where to purchase the main, was that I did not see the value North’s name provided. Sail Technologies offered the above advantages at a lower price.

When I buy my asym, it will be from Sail Technologies. They are local and the owner is a sailor who knows what he is doing.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 04:10   #7
cruiser

You have a tri-radial mainsail?
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 09:32   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Sail Loft Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. Nolan View Post
You have a tri-radial mainsail?

Yes- this is the old girl make nice time in Tampa Bay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1346.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	218316  
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 18:15   #9

Boat: Sabre 402

We've used Schurr Sails in Pensacola https://www.schurr-sails.com for more than one suit on our J/36. Their service and attention to detail have been excellent, and the sails helped us win our club championship twice - in a fleet that includes a half dozen J/109's, four J/120's, a J/111, a J/133, an FT10, a custom SC37, several Beneteaux 36.7's and two Swans. The sails have held up well and still look good years after we got them.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, sail