Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2016, 05:32   #1

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Sail repair in NY/NJ/CT area?

Hello,

I've got a new-to-me Shannon 38 cutter and I'm looking for a good sail loft in the New York area. I sent my last boat's sails to SailCare but I wasn't too impressed. The cleaning process was of dubious value for the price and they made some sloppy mistakes installing a new reef so I had to send them back to be redone.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a nice no-nonsense sail loft in the tri-state area? I need the UV stripe replaced on my staysail, and I also think I'll have the yankee inspected and patched up in a few places. (I could do that by hand but it's a bit tough to spread out in my apartment). The main is nearly flawless so I'll leave that alone for now. It would also be a big help for them to store the sails for me until the spring, but I'm not sure if this usually costs extra.

Does anyone have a recommendation to share? And can anyone give me a ballpark figure of what I should expect to pay for this?

I haven't measured the sails but the rig dimensions are as follows:
I: 45.75ft
J: 17.25ft
P: 40ft
E: 16ft

Thanks!
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 16:34   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Re: Sail repair in NY/NJ/CT area?

Doyle on city island
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 05:55   #3

Boat: Pearson 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
Doyle on city island
I found UK sails on city island, experience with them?
I'll contact Doyle too.

Would driving an hour or two be worth the while? New Jersey, Connecticut? I'm on Manhattan and needs some seam work on my headsail (Pearson 303).

Also curious if it be worth it to send the sails away for wash & storage, hard to come by a big enough smooth surface with water to wash the sails myself.
sveinung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 07:04   #4

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38

I ended up bringing my jib and staysail to Tomelia Canvas last year. They're located upstate in Staatsburg, which was convenient for me but probably is not for everyone. I found them to be very nice, straightforward and reasonably priced. They can send the sails away for a cleaning service, and I think winter storage is free if you do that. I had my staysail repaired and my jib cleaned. It was a lot less money that I had originally planned on paying and the quality of the work was great.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 10:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I ended up bringing my jib and staysail to Tomelia Canvas last year. They're located upstate in Staatsburg, which was convenient for me but probably is not for everyone. I found them to be very nice, straightforward and reasonably priced. They can send the sails away for a cleaning service, and I think winter storage is free if you do that. I had my staysail repaired and my jib cleaned. It was a lot less money that I had originally planned on paying and the quality of the work was great.
Thanks! Could be very convenient if combined with an upstate getaway.
Old 17-10-2017, 10:52   #6

Just spoke to Doyle (800.237.4453) and they seemed to have very friendly price quotes. Got quoted ~$100 per sail for freshwater rinse, and ~$25 for winter storage (priced per foot per sail, I'm 30'), which sound very reasonable. I'll update the post if they charge me something wildly different.
Old 17-10-2017, 19:14   #7

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38
Sail repair in NY/NJ/CT area?

We’ve been using Doyle city island for a number of years. They used to store sails for free over winter if you paid as soon as billed, but stopped this year, I guess everyone’s prices are going up. They charge 0.65$/sq ft for sail washing (that’s different than just a rinse), and if you are in a high traffic boat yard (for them) they would pick up / drop off from there, just ask them.

They also look over your sails and do repairs as needed (they will ask you first if it’s anything major).

I’ll be taking my sails to them again this year, despite the price hike. Probably works out to be close to what anyone else around here charges. Some places charge by the pound, others by square foot, some include basic stitching in their base price and only charge you extra for major work and others have lower base prices but will charge you extra for every stitch they make, but I haven’t seen significant differences in prices all said and done (I just feel less tricked when what you expect and get quoted is what you end up paying, rather than “oh your this and that needed a bit of reinforcement so here’s double of what no extra work would have cost, sorry”).

Anton
antoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 06:08   #8

She actually told me they had the same promotion, pay within ten days for free storage!
I'll probably drop my sails off this weekend if I get hold of a car. I'm in college point for the winter so quick drive over to city island.
Old 18-10-2017, 06:09   #9

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38

Either free storage or 10% discount, yes. Last year it was both.
antoha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail