Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2013, 10:36   #46

Re: Sailboat for a few years in the Caribbean for two

My suggestion to anyone considering something like this is to seriously consider a ketch or schooner rig that has a cutter's dual headsails.

I have done a lot of cruising on a sloop-rigged boat as well as a comparable ketch-rigged boat and the ketch was by far the better option. Especially since in the price range that you are talking you will most likely have furling head-sails (or maybe a hank-on staysail and roller genny) but manual slab-reefing main/mizzen (In my opinion slab-reefing is preferable anyway). The benefit of a ketch or schooner is that for one thing the center of effort of the sails is spread out nicely and is very auto-pilot friendly once you get used to the sail-plan (and even if you're not on auto, autopilot-friendly is also helmsman-friendly). Along with the center of effort being spread further fore and aft the combination of a genoa, staysail, moderate-sized main, and mizzen gives you a very flexible arrangement made of multiple smaller sails that each are easier to handle on their own instead of two or three massive sails that are each a beast to deal with. Not to mention that the slot effect from the dual head-sails is extremely efficient. For an example of the flexibility: On the ketch that I was on for a Pacific crossing we spent 4 or 5 days of the trip with just the genoa and the mizzen set, we were averaging around 10 knots and the auto-pilot hardly used any battery at all over that time, it was great!

Also a big plus: Aluminum hull!
WMarineCanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 12:00   #47

Boat: Balboa 27

FWIW - When I was looking at sailboats with my girlfriend she seemed drawn to the center cockpit boats with a nice big aft cabin.
susswein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 19:44   #48

Boat: 1974 Cal 29

Cal Cruising 35.

I loved mine. Comfortable and capable! Great sailing boat with enough motor and tankage that you could go a couple thousand miles on the engine alone if you had to. Built like a tank.
Seafarer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:50   #49

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Susswein, In case your girlfriend was wondering that cabinet beside the berth in the Tanzer has a lighted vanity mirror and make-up drawer.....er I mean a shaving mirror and storage compartment.
I don't know why the guy selling it took the inside helm out, makes a pilothouse look kind of silly.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:05   #50
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailboat for a few years in the Caribbean for two

Quote:
Originally Posted by susswein View Post
FWIW - When I was looking at sailboats with my girlfriend she seemed drawn to the center cockpit boats with a nice big aft cabin.
Great in harbours/anchorages... however many are un-inhabitable at sea... engine/steering gear noise, berths you can't stay in if there's a sea... try before you buy...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:24   #51

I owned a Hunter Legend 37. It was a great bay toy and weekender. Fast, roomy, easy to handle and lots of luxury stuff. It would have been fine doing coastal cruising with a good weather eye, and maybe hopping across to the Bahamas. I would hesitate to take it anywhere that it might be exposed to really significant weather though. Having been thrown up off the cockpit floor at the helm IN THE CHESAPEAKE when the boat would hobby horse in steep chop,.......Well let's just say the next boat I got was a LOT heavier.

The Tayana is close to what I ended up cruising with, and it's in the classified section now under Zombie Apocalypse Escape Yacht. She's a Pan Oceanic 46, and like the Tayana, she's a deep wineglass hull with a modified full keel, lots of teak, and a set of lines that makes the right kind of girl turn her head. :-)

Go heavy enough that you can handle 35-40kts without being worried about something breaking (including you and the crew). You won't see it often, but when you do, you'll be thankful.
H Romberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:28   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeesH View Post
They don't exist. My Chick Magnet has been always an invitation for a 3 month Holiday in Holland, Germany, France finished with a Topless beach holiday in Spain.

Now, 59 y/o I married the most beautifull wife from Brazil.

BTW she hates my boat, still my big second love..

CeesH
I don't know. I think most any boat has a chick magnet hidden away somewhere. A boat has been involved in almost all of my successful......efforts in that arena.
H Romberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:50   #53

Boat: Endeavour 42

Just in case I haven't called your attention to my boat for sale, it's an Endeavour 40 center cockpit in excellent condition, lots of new equipment, almost ready to go back to the Caribbean-where it cruised for a year and half a while back. Price reduced. Cptn Happy
Old 03-05-2013, 13:24   #54

What king of "chicks" you looking to attract? Around here the only chicks on sailboats are mostly over the age of death. You want CHICKS buy a power boat with AC, ice maker, big sun pad, great stereo and fast so you can actually get someplace when you want to...
maj75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 13:57   #55
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailboat for a few years in the Caribbean for two

Quote:
Originally Posted by maj75 View Post
What king of "chicks" you looking to attract? Around here the only chicks on sailboats are mostly over the age of death. You want CHICKS buy a power boat with AC, ice maker, big sun pad, great stereo and fast so you can actually get someplace when you want to...
Used to see a lot of power boats cruising off Bare Bum Bay by Poole.. usually full of fat luminous white dudes letching us nudists on the beach...
Lotsa gorgeous Scandinavians came to Bournemouth for holidays back then.. 7 miles of great beaches and over half a mile of nudist beach in a nature reserve...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:53   #56

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by maj75 View Post
Or a catamaran. A Maine Cat 41 would be nice for the Carribean. A bit on the expensive side though.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:04   #57

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

I like a center cockpit. For us it gves more room in the stern cabin.
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, sailboat