Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2017, 14:36   #1

Sailboat Lease?

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but has anyone explored the possibility of leasing a sailboat for an extended period of time? My wife and I (and 3 small girls ages 18 months to 5 years) are considering our options. My wife finally came around and suggested we explore the possibility of cruising now for a year while the kids are still young. But she was also wondering if leasing a sailboat for a year would be an option, as it doesn't seem quite practical in her eyes to buy a boat, sail it for a year, and then sell it again. What is the general consensus on this?
johngfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 15:27   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Sailboat Lease?

This discussion has come up many times, but I dont know of anyone who has arranged such a deal. Big risk for the owner.

For me as an owner, I would not consider without a carefully drafted contract, full insurance, and a security deposit in escrow equal to replacement value of boat...etc, etc...
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 15:53   #3

Boat: Boatless

What location do you have in mind?

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 16:36   #4

Boat: Hylas 54

This sounds like a long charter to me. I am sure someone would do it....
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 20:22   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
What location do you have in mind?
The Pacific. Leave the west coast, maybe stop in HI, sail on to the Marquesas, Tuomotus, Society islands, possibly as far as Fiji. It would need to be a boat large enough for a family of five.
johngfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 04:53   #6

Boat: Hylas 54

The problem here is that you will be essentially relocating a yacht across the Pacific. Not many owners would want their yacht to end up in the Antipodes without having enjoyed the trip themselves! They would have to sail or ship it back home. If you buy a yacht you might be able to sell up in Australia where prices are robust.
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 05:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngfoster View Post
The Pacific. Leave the west coast, maybe stop in HI, sail on to the Marquesas, Tuomotus, Society islands, possibly as far as Fiji. It would need to be a boat large enough for a family of five.
And you have the documentable experience approaprite to making this trip?
Old 18-09-2017, 05:14   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobiehobie View Post
The problem here is that you will be essentially relocating a yacht across the Pacific. Not many owners would want their yacht to end up in the Antipodes without having enjoyed the trip themselves! They would have to sail or ship it back home. If you buy a yacht you might be able to sell up in Australia where prices are robust.
And the owner now has a mobile asset far away. If the lessee decides to quit paying the lease, now the owner has a messy international repo issue. I know of similar cases where boat owners with boat mortgages have managed to evade the repo man for a few years...and of course the boats were trashed when finally recovered.

I owner financed the sale of my previous boat and this scenario crossed my mind often...fortunately it never occurred.

Add yacht transport/recovery deposit to the list of requirements!
Old 20-09-2017, 09:44   #9

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobiehobie View Post
This sounds like a long charter to me. I am sure someone would do it....
Basically it would be a long term charter. Maybe try Seabbatical Long Term Bareboat Yacht Charter - BVI Bareboat Charters

Also check out the FAQ. Info on where you can take the boat, what happens when it breaks, insurance, security deposits, etc.
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 10:59   #10

Maybe buying one is away cheaper and avoid troublesome paper works.
Only problem is selling when you are back in states, it depends but may takes a while. Selling at Australia maybe a good idea.
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 11:10   #11

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

It's quite common for people to charter racing boats for various race series, specific races such as the Transpac for example, or even for a whole season. Though when doing so, it really, really helps to be a known entity. Meaning having a sailing resume which is more than up to snuff, ditto in terms of one's sailing & business/professional reputation. Fiscal too. Plus being well networked into the sailing community is a HUGE advantage when attempting to do this.

Read the below post, as it covers more on this idea in detail. Including such topics as legalities, & contracts, etc. Also inquire around through various sailing clubs, charter outfits, & yacht clubs.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2445479

BTW, I've posted on this topic several times in the past, & there may be a bit more information on this them in said posts. So you might search them out.

Also, consider doing extended charters in some of the regions which you desire to visit. That way, for the boat's owner/charter company, the boat's closer to "home". And you don't have to do the ocean crossing bit. Though there are plenty of passages of length between some islands & destinations in various regions.

Some folks even buy one or more fractional shares of a boat in locale X, or Y. Similar to a time share condo. Which might be worth looking into as well.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 12:34   #12

Johngfoster. According to your profile you have a week on sailing classes and some experience sailing with some friends. Are you out of your mind?
Svdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, lease, sail, sailboat