Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2022, 16:08   #46

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Sailboat suggestions

cdreid:

You may have missed it, but Boatman61's link in his early post was to a Coronado 35. You will be looking for a good hull.

The one who suggested looking for a distressed classic was not too far off. My husband and I sailed his 30 ft. S&S 30 to Hawaii back in 1983--SF to HI and return. He next bought at 36 footer that we sailed out to in Australia in and lived aboard for 18 yrs. That boat was a Palmer Johnson Standfast 36. It required a major fix after a hard grounding on an unmarked reef in Fiji. Just because a boat is 100% now doesn't mean things don't break. Both boats were fine fin keel skeg rudder boats.

There are places you can't take dogs from the mainland of the US conveniently. These include Hawaii, New Zealand and Australia, and there may be others. Quarantine is 6 months at your cost. Read up on the Quarantine restrictions for the places you want to go.

You didn't like Trente Pieds' post about how much it costs to own a boat, but we all have to pay to have somewhere to leave our boat at times; and third party insurance, required some places to use marinas; marina's fees are least expensive for the smallest boats. But don't take my word for it. Pretend you have a 36 ft. boat. Find out what their charges would be for 3 days. That's time to do grocery shopping and laundry, and take a look at the new to you place.

Some places limit time at anchor there; one Australian State has a one month per year limit and there are also no-anchoring zones. We do spend most of our time on the hook, but we don't require shore access for the dogs. Places where kids swim won't welcome dog poo in the "pool." On long passages, you will have to have them trained for their excretory functions to do them on the boat. It is kindest to them to train them to it from the beginning.

You haven't even been out in rough weather, but it can be so rough you couldn't safely turn the boat around to rescue a dog swept overboard by a wave. Basically that is why we won't ever cruise open ocean with a pet...the belief that the animal is best off re-homed rather than our bringing it into that kind of risk. Ymmv.

It is easy to learn to sail; but seamanship is a product of knowledge, experience, and creativity. It can be pretty ugly if you bite off more than you can chew. You're at the beginning of a journey, and you may get there. Major changes in health for you or the dogs may be planned for in terms of paying for the care needed.

Other possible sailboat suggestions: S & S 34 (what Jessica Watson circumnavigated in); Folkboat (an Australian grandmother did a rather precarious circumnavigation in a plywood one). Frankly, I'd go looking at boats and see what seems compatible to you. Someone here is likely to be familiar with them. Basically, you want to find the most cherry one at your price limit, that appeals to you. Pluses for already being re-engined, and with new rigging, two of the biggest $ jobs. The electric engine option, fine, as long as you are certain you can top up the batteries on 3-4 week long passage, preferably from at least two sources. Maybe a hybrid engine?

Good luck with it.

Ann
Old 27-08-2022, 17:09   #47

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

"It is easy to learn to sail; but seamanship is a product of both knowledge, experience, and creativity. It can be pretty ugly if you bite off more than you can chew. You're at the beginning of a journey, and you may get there, we don't even know whether or not you get seasick. That alone could bring about a change in plans.
Good luck with it.
Ann"

I would argue cdreid is at the end of his journey rather than the beginning. I see this quite often with "the dreamers". "here's what I'm going to do and how I'm going to do it and where I will sail to." If anyone remotely 'rocks the boat', they take their toys from the sandbox and go elsewhere. No regards for anyone else that has learned to sail, stuck with it, literally lived in boatyards and compromised to get back in the water.

I'm always willing to give a suggestion or help someone who is logical and serious. But sometimes you get the sarcastic, condescending replies.

Recently there was a couple looking for a boat, on this forum, with their gigantic fur babies. Out of about 30 people nicely suggesting the dogs wouldn't like the sailing..."oh no, they're or babies and coming with us". Like a shooting star brilliant in the beginning, fizzling out over the horizon. You know if they had gone through with it, we would have heard about their new/used boat by now.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2022, 14:45   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Cdreid you might get the best surveyor but are you going to listen?
In the last few years I have had plenty of newbies not listen to my advice. Two tried to sue me and my solicitor said not to sweat it as you can't get sued for buyer's remorse. Now I am a bit wiser and sound out the buyer before committing to the survey.
What you want is achievable, but it's going to be financially tight and a sharp learning curve.
Cheers
I'm old. When youre old you realise when you dont know **** about things... listen to the guy whos literally paid to know things

And i should have many many times what the boat is worth in the bank so worst case i either put more into it or sail it til it falls apart and buy another cheap boat. Im old i can do that a few times before i die :P
cdreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2022, 14:51   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post

Recently there was a couple looking for a boat, on this forum, with their gigantic fur babies. Out of about 30 people nicely suggesting the dogs wouldn't like the sailing..."oh no, they're or babies and coming with us". Like a shooting star brilliant in the beginning, fizzling out over the horizon. You know if they had gone through with it, we would have heard about their new/used boat by now.
Lmfao when yorue posting on a cruising forum that people dont take dogs cruising..
Old 28-08-2022, 14:59   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
cdreid:

You may have missed it, but Boatman61's link in his early post was to a Coronado 35. You will be looking for a good hull.

Good luck with it.

Ann
I appreciate all your advice here. And yes my concern is the bones. The biggest reason for the length is ive read the most legendary sailors for decades saying if youre going bluewater you need length. One reason for asking for boat suggestions is sailplan, keel and rudder. I want a skeg rudder for example. And a lot of bluewater singlehanders swear by cutter and ketch rigs. And as multiple of the more toxic people apparently skpped over i plan on taking classes and more importantly hiring or paying an experienced sailor to come out and teach me to sail on the ocean for a bit.

Lately ive been looking at Albergs and Morgan 38's but 38's have cored hulls and some had a bad rep. Thanks for the advice

Note.. NOT your post but the biggest annoyance is me asking for boat reccomendations and hearing liveaboards who went to the bahamas on the boat mommy bought them tell me i need 300k for a boat and 10k a month .... when im LITERALLY watching people sail the world in 30k boats and reading about people doing exactly that on 500-1000 a month... and ill have many many times the cost of the boat in the bank.. but hey elitism right?
Old 28-08-2022, 15:30   #51

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdreid View Post
LMFAO child. Sailing uma have sailed an $8k boat they put some work i for years. Guys posting his bluewater crossings in a 24 with Zero previous experience that probably cost 10k.
I know i know if it's not a 500k boat it dare not be taken out of it's slip which is .. well why you live in a slip. Grow up kid
She has grown up. She was 18 then in the 1980’s

Maybe you will learn more with your starter boat after you finally buy one
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2022, 16:10   #52

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Lmfao when yorue posting on a cruising forum that people dont take dogs cruising..
Cd, He didn't say that people don't take dogs cruising. He related to you that people wouldn't listen to the advice that is was a bad idea, and he doesn't think they lasted long cruising. Well, we don't know that, do we?

But I am sitting here in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and I see dozens of cruising couples and singles coming down to Mexico every year at the beginning of their cruising life. Some then take off across the Pacific thinking that they might go around the world.

Many of these new cruisers have their pets with them. I watch them taking the dogs to shore and picking up after the dogs. It doesn't look like fun. Many try to teach their dogs to use a carpet on the boat, and this is successful some of the time. If not, then they are forever precluded from long trips on the boat (over a day). Very few actually take off across the Pacific with the dogs. Some do. None I can remember with two dogs.

When we got to Oceania (NZ & Oz, etc) there were a few boats with dogs aboard. They found out it was just very hard to get their pets into quite a large number of foreign lands. Some tied to sneak in but kept the dogs on board. Some put the dogs into quarantine. One couple I remember put the dog into quarantine and the dog died there. They were devastated.

By the time we got to SE Asia on our westbound circumnavigation there were very few dogs. I would say none but I do recall one boat, from Germany, with a German Shepard on board. They landed in Langkawi, Malaysia with the dog. The authorities allowed them to stay but forbid the dog to come ashore. What did they do? They turned the dog loose ashore at night! Needless to say they were deported soon after.

Now lets talk about the impact on non-dog owners: I don't mind the dogs particularly, and there are a couple of very nice dogs on on our marina. We pet them and give their ownes dog bones for the dogs.

But I hate having dog poo every where. There is not one piece of lawn within 1/4mile of the marina which does not have doggie droppings in it. So much for packing a spinnaker on the lawn. And restaurants. The health laws of course do not permit dogs or cats in places where food is served. But dog owners show up with their dogs anyhow. The regulations are ignored and the dogs are let in. Otherwise many customers would have to be turned away. Last night we ate out and there were 3-4 large dogs under foot. Sometimes people bring thier dogs up onto their laps to lick their plates. And there are constant dog bickering, and sometimes a person get in the wrong place. People have been nipped. Once a dog tied to a post ran out barking at Judy as we walked by and his leash tripped her and she fell heavily and injured her shoulder.

So, to a certain extent I resent the dogs and their owners. (mostly the owners, the dogs are blissfully innocent).

Now this is the long story why people are scoffing at your plan to take the dogs.
Old 28-08-2022, 16:13   #53
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailboat suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
cdreid:

Good luck with it.

Ann
HI Ann.. I am aware of the alleged shortcomings of the Coronado hull, but then I have often sailed/owned boats inappropriate for what I've done with them..
I suggested the Coronado 35 for the dogs in the main.. cavernous below deck and a safer centre cockpit.. if he gets the keelbolts replaced and the chain plates moved to the outside I reckon he'll have a decent enough boat for the Caribe and the Milk Run.. even a W to E Transat.
Not everyone wants to sail on their ear and the Coronado would be great for lazy solo sailing.. as the saying goes..
The boat can take a lot more than the crew..
As for laundry, shopping, etc... all that can be done while on the hook, one does not need a marina.
As for sightseeing.. that's what tourists do..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2022, 16:16   #54
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Thread closed while awaiting moderation review, it may or may not open shortly.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2022, 20:23   #55

Quote:
As for laundry, shopping, etc... all that can be done while on the hook, one does not need a marina.
Quite right. And he can walk the dogs ashore. However, going FAR away from the US, the regulations will all be different, and there are places that want you in marinas.
Old 28-08-2022, 20:27   #56

Four posts have been deleted and two edited to remove sarcasm. Please don't fall into sarcastic posting. Follow the BE NICE rule. The thread will be re-opened tomorrow as there is more administrative work to be done on it.

Ann
Old 02-09-2022, 17:40   #57
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Now open again.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 04:31   #58

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

Quote:
So im moving onto a sailboat in 4 years when i retire...

I want to see the world before i die. Im budgeting 40k.

What i need is boat suggestions .
This is how I read his post. He wants boat suggestions, not arguments about his plans...
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 07:04   #59

Boat: Island Packet 29

Quote:

Note.. NOT your post but the biggest annoyance is me asking for boat reccomendations and hearing liveaboards who went to the bahamas on the boat mommy bought them tell me i need 300k for a boat and 10k a month .... when im LITERALLY watching people sail the world in 30k boats and reading about people doing exactly that on 500-1000 a month... and ill have many many times the cost of the boat in the bank.. but hey elitism right?
Anyone sailing on $500 a month is living on Top Raman and has no money for repairs.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 09:21   #60

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
Anyone sailing on $500 a month is living on Top Raman and has no money for repairs.

This is an ongoing problem with people who watch Youtube videos and theorize what is and what isn't. The OP posted when he first joined CF in 2013 posted the same theme as posted here by him 9 years later.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...an-108996.html

Most people who are successful entering the life style and are serious about it usually start off with a plan to get to where they want to go with first taking sailing 101 and onward. Joining a sailing club, perhaps even getting a starter boat for a year or so. The OP seems to want people to tell him what boat to get but then disagrees with any suggestions to the contrary. At times becoming condescending to people who, in his mind, are out doing it...
"Note.. NOT your post but the biggest annoyance is me asking for boat reccomendations and hearing liveaboards who went to the bahamas deleted snarky comment
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat