Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2022, 10:20   #61

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom
Re: Sailboat suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdreid View Post
i read a lot about Herreschoff and thought about trying to build one of his designs.

I want to see the world before i die. And ill be singlehanding

I plan on buying a 37 to 40+

What i need is boat suggestions . Ideally i buy something for 20k thats sailable and put 5k into watermaker, solar etc and 5 or 10k into things i find along the way that need fixing. Maybe even another 10k into an electric motor.
Building? I would disabuse myself of that idea forthwith.
Herreshoff? Even pros will tell you that his designs are among the most difficult to build and require the utmost in ability/materials.
See the world singlehanded? Something that has a small enough sailplan that an inexperienced person could reasonably handle when they're tired/worn out, and still have the ability to carry all the junk and stuff that most people want with them.
37>40+? Lot of boat, lot of expenses.
Suggestions? Without breaking the bank, (or your dreams,) I'll give my stock answer to someone in your position.
Westsail 32
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/197...il-32-8395960/
Old 03-09-2022, 14:13   #62

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
This is an ongoing problem with people who watch Youtube videos and theorize what is and what isn't. The OP posted when he first joined CF in 2013 posted the same theme as posted here by him 9 years later.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...an-108996.html

Most people who are successful entering the life style and are serious about it usually start off with a plan to get to where they want to go with first taking sailing 101 and onward. Joining a sailing club, perhaps even getting a starter boat for a year or so. The OP seems to want people to tell him what boat to get but then disagrees with any suggestions to the contrary. At times becoming condescending to people who, in his mind, are out doing it...
[I]"Note.. NOT your post but the biggest annoyance is me asking for boat reccomendations and hearing liveaboards who went to the bahamas snarky comment]

It is a fairly often occurrence to want to control the input to a thread. Normally, people on the internet feel free to reply to whatever part of an original post strikes them as most pressing. Therefore, the control goal is doomed to failure.

As long as everyone stays friendly, there is no problem, and the thread is easily guided back on course politely. The problem occurs when someone gets snarky with their responses, because this particular forum promotes considerate discussion, not (for lack of a better term) pissing contests.

A pattern of repeated snarky comments is likely to be interpreted by the mods as trolling, due to the emotional responses engendered.

Ann
Old 03-09-2022, 19:05   #63

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
The problem occurs when someone gets snarky with their responses, because this particular forum promotes considerate discussion, not (for lack of a better term) pissing contests.

Ya...I really hate that.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat