Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2016, 16:35   #1

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230
Sailboat sunk - bogus removal note

I saw this today at Kings Bay Crystal River Fl. I was in my kayak. Anyway I paddle to see this boat up close as from a distance I can see the mast at 45 degrees.

It has an official note that the boat will be removed at the owners expense of not removed by 5/25/16. I checked my phone which has the date as 6/13/16. So I figured the local Crystal River Gov. is blowing smoke.

There have been sailboats in Kings Bay for years without the removal notice. The damaged sailboats were brought from Louisiana after Hurricane Katrina by a business man. But they are sitting on their keels straight. No sails but the mast is straight up.

For years and years Crystal River has been trying to get back to the crystal clear water from the 80's.

Anyway...I hope they can restore the water quality with the eel grass that is planted and protected from the manatee.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 04:28   #2

Re: Sailboat sunk - bogus removal note

Hey...I do not see the attachment so here is the pic.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1465903689110.jpg
Views:	682
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	126129   Click image for larger version

Name:	1465903707467.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	126130  

Old 14-06-2016, 05:03   #3

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

In 1980 the population of Florida was 9.7 million people. Currently it is around 20.2 million. Perhaps the increasing population plays a role in the water quality of Florida.
LakeSuperior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 05:14   #4

I think you are partially correct. There was the 'no name storm' that caused a back wash of water. That caused the water to go from crystal clear to murky. Back in 1984 even Kings Bay was crystal clear. Anyway the fertilizer from the yards got into the water and a destructive algea started to grow. The water clarity never did recover. The destructive algea killed all the water filtering eel grass.

Manatee however come into this area in huge numbers during the winter months.

Old 14-06-2016, 05:24   #5

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

Honestly ...(seriously), if some of the boats look like this, why doesn't the state, or cities, come up with a salvage program, where private individuals can refloat, remove and fix up these clunkers to some point of sea-worthyness(that is can float and can move), then offer very low loans to rehabilatate boats to more, to a point of value?

... are these boats abandoned and viturally untouchable?
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 08:59   #6

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Lake Ontario was murky when I was younger. We used to say...if you can see the bottom, you are aground. Then the zebra mussels came and cleaned up the water...now you can see 20 or 30 feet down. Then the ducks started eating the mussels, and we have a lot more ducks now. We worried about purple loosestrife, but it wasn't too bad...kinda pretty even. Then the gobi's came...yuck. And apparently the american eel loves to eat gobis, so thats something to look forward to. And of course asian flying carp will eventually find their way into the great lakes and ruin everything for everyone once again.

No, I don't have a point.
I'm just a bitter old man...like the rest of you.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 09:10   #7

There are probably a dozen truly abandon boats without a registation but they are not sinking yet so they blend in with the other boats.

No real point with this next statement other than mild humor.

When I say 'Kings Bay' it is not this huge deep grand bay. It is a shallow 3' - 6' area that are feed by springs and start the Crystal River about 6 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. There is a beat up Pete's Pier Marina there also.

Pete's Pier is the big blue building in the background.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1465920622327.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	126152  
Old 14-06-2016, 09:14   #8

Boat: Shannon Shoalsailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
In 1980 the population of Florida was 9.7 million people. Currently it is around 20.2 million. Perhaps the increasing population plays a role in the water quality of Florida.
Yes sir! And on a trajectory to the bottom with Governor Rick Scott's assault on the environment - killing estuaries and lowering water quality standards.

Still need enforcement on derelict boats and irresponsible liveaboards without ability to get pump outs.
Bay Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 09:37   #9

The sign usually means from the posted date onwards, its free property to whomever can remove it. Its at that moment a salvage operation. Good luck on your new boat.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 12:07   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

That boat may not be restorable but saw thousands of dollars of equipment in the pictures posted. Maybe you should contract with the city/county government and arrange to remove the derelict boats and sell the equipment. Saw at least one self tailing winch that could bring a boat unit and there is a whole lot more there. Just because the city put a removal date on the boat it's not surprising nothing has happened in a few weeks after the date. Governments being so efficient, it could take them a decade to actually get out there and do something beyond papering it with notices.

As far as the hurting the environment, it's doubtful that the boat is doing more damage than just resting on the bottom. Once the fuel is pumped out of the tanks and oil out of the engine there is precious little else to cause harm. Even the petroleum products, if allowed to leak, will quickly be consumed by bacteria. Oil is an organic compound and, if it's organic, there is a creature somewhere that will gobble it up. Worry more about all the other non point source pollution that is undoubtedly affecting the environment not a few abandoned boats.

The eel grass should be thriving on the nitrogen fertilizer that is leaching into the water. If the eel grass is suffering maybe it's protecting the manatee that's causing it to disappear.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 07:21   #11

Boat: Hunter 26.5 (for now <grin>)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
That boat may not be restorable but saw thousands of dollars of equipment in the pictures posted. <snip>.
Funny, that is the same thing I saw in those photo's.. Sure which I could go there with my tool box.. I'd be set for the next Marina Swap Meet <grin>.. flk k
liveaboard60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal, sail, sailboat