Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2023, 05:44   #46

Boat: 2018 Jeanneau 419
Re: Sailboats 40-46': bed size matters

I am totally with you as fas as UTurns to get in / out.
If I have to choose between size and accessibility I choose the latter
Xavierp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 05:45   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
"The Vision 42 has….. not many used ones on the market.
Unfortunately
Old 04-07-2023, 05:47   #48

I not 100% certain but what I understand Is that the 2 cabins owner versions are usually the regular 3 cabine with one cabin turned into a storage room.
Not sure it adds space to the other bedrooms.
Sure you also save a head unti
Old 04-07-2023, 05:51   #49

Wil so. Thx!
Old 04-07-2023, 05:52   #50

Thx! Will do
Old 04-07-2023, 10:35   #51

Boat: Taswell 43

No one has (yet) mentioned a Taswell 43! Center Cockpit, large aft statrm, with a sep shower and large head, hanging lockers, and a CL bed with access from both sides. We're 78 and 76, have had this boat for 20+ years, and it works well....and sails well, too; Taswells are very well-built boats. We have a center cockpit, large saloon with an adj-height, fold-out dining table, sep nav sta. walk thru galley, and a sep fwd stateroom, w/a std bed+head in front. It works good for us, and fills all your squares. Give it a look!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 14:21   #52

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
No one has (yet) mentioned a Taswell 43! Center Cockpit, large aft statrm, with a sep shower and large head, hanging lockers, and a CL bed with access from both sides. We're 78 and 76, have had this boat for 20+ years, and it works well....and sails well, too; Taswells are very well-built boats. We have a center cockpit, large saloon with an adj-height, fold-out dining table, sep nav sta. walk thru galley, and a sep fwd stateroom, w/a std bed+head in front. It works good for us, and fills all your squares. Give it a look!
Still looks to have odd sized mattress needing custom build for that and sheets.
Why?
WHY??????

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 16:58   #53

We have a Jeanneau 44DS. The master has a king sized, yes king sized, bed and room to get out without waking my spouse. There are other models around that size that do also. The V berth in the bow is a queen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavierp View Post
I am looking for a sailboat between 40-46 ft, leaning towards an "ocean RV" like Beneteau, Jeaneau.
What I am surprised with and what I am hoping someone has the answer for, is why are all the beds so small or difficult to access?

These boats are not cheap and they are full of accommodations making them bigger and more practical than a NYC apartment.
In the ocean RV world most boats over 40' are owned by people over 50 years old, including myself. And I am sure we all like a nice bed which is not a cave and where we don't have to roll over our wife/husband to get in/out.

So why do you think builders offer such big salon and so small Master bedroom?

(other than the Deck Salon versions)
SailMaravilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 18:04   #54

Boat: Taswell 43

I wish you luck in your pursuit of perfection.....in a boat????? You are correct...the mattress is not a "standard off the shelf". But the boat does come with a mattress already installed. And fitted sheets work just fine, without issue. Good luck in your search-and no,I'm not rolling my eyes.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 18:49   #55

Boat: 43 ft C&C Landfall

We have a 1983 43' C&C Center Cockpit Landfall. 6'8" headroom and Island Queens fore and aft. Had a custom memory foam mattress made for the aft bed and sleep like babies. Also has 2 heads so each berth has its own head. Great when you have company, or at our age when we both have to Go Now. Blue water boat that can handle way more than we ever could. Several layouts, and a few were made for charter. Can find one occasionally for sale and generally Canada is a good place to start looking.
polbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2023, 05:04   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Still looks to have odd sized mattress needing custom build for that and sheets.
Why?
WHY??????

I am like you: why why why? To add a little bit more space to an already big salon?!
I just can’t believe that the one thing that has been the most difficult to purchase a boat is the bed situation.
Especially for the RV boat category, which are designed and priced for people over 50 usually near retirement. People who obviously need comfort and ease because everything is set up for that from the electric winches, furling everything, TVs, fridges,….. everything that you wouldn’t hope to find on an older boat…everything, except a decent bed…
HOwever I noticed that the new Jeanneau have now a bed in a square birth.
Old 26-07-2023, 10:10   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
Because the boats you are looking at are all designed with their biggest customer foremost in mind: The Charter Fleet. They NEED to sleep 8 people, AND have someplace for them all to sit and eat dinner. Make the beds big enough to be comfortable, and there is no room for everybody to sit down.

If you actually want a boat to live on comfortably, try looking for a boat designed, REALLY designed, for a cruising couple instead of a frathouse party.
Any examples of boats/brands/models designed for a solo sailor or just for a couple? I am also looking for one just for me to retire on and live aboard full time...
bjn68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2023, 13:28   #58

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailMaravilla View Post
We have a Jeanneau 44DS. The master has a king sized, yes king sized, bed and room to get out without waking my spouse. There are other models around that size that do also. .

Not like any King I've seen.
It's an odd dimension, not squared, custom make mattress and sheets.

Quote:
The V berth in the bow is a queen
It's a V berth, not a queen
A queen is 1,520 x 2,030 mm - not a triangle

Just because the Muppets in Marketing call it a king or queen does not make it so.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2023, 08:23   #59

Boat: Hylas 44

Greetings -

Saw the reference to the Hylas 44! We are (reluctantly) selling our 1989 Hylas 44...so I guess, to be honest, I was a bit surprise at the complaints of the aft v bunk. In the 44, the aft berth is accessible from the saloon on both sides, one through the kitchen, the other past the nav station through the head. Then the bed is accessible from both sides with ample room to navigate to the saloon or to the head for both.

I made custom sheets for the bed - custom fitted sheets are amazing because they don't move around. Anyway, no kidding, we actually note it to folks who are curious...great nights sleep, almost guaranteed?

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/198...ckpit-9016781/
kellymbridges22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, boat, sail, sailboat, size