Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2020, 15:47   #46

Re: Sailboats and bridges

a sloop mast would be around 60 feet for a 41 footer but a ketch
??/ the math doesnt seem to fit or maybe my brain is virus muddled from coughng up a lung for 3 weeks
parrotsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:52   #47

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
That is an unfortunate and expensive mistake to have to replace. Why I wonder one would even try if there was not abundant clearance. Geez just find another route. There be plenty of water to float one's boat. Oh well, live and learn, or at least hope one lives to learn.

Depends where you are and what your goals are

I sail on the Upper Mississippi. Controlling clearance is 60' at normal pool and 52' at the 2% flowline. Most of the bridges are between 60' and 64' at normal pool. River levels do fluctuate somewhat and unlike tides not according to a predictable pattern. Due to the use of a variety of datums, inconsistencies in the bridge clearance data, and the fact that responsibility for the bridges, gauging stations, locks, and river level predictions are spread out across a variety of agencies, I find that it is not possible to determine available clearance with accuracy and certainty.

My boat has a mast that is 40'4" above water so this doesn't affect me on the main channel. My next boat? Well, there are quite a few sailboats on the market that have masts that are 57', 58', 59', 60', 61' above the water. Thinking ahead to other places I may sail how much to I constrain my search when the time comes? We'll see.

I have encountered uncharted vertical obstructions and nearly hit them. They do exist even in areas with COE and commercial chart coverage.

It is easy to make a mistake and some compassion might be in order

I have done physical surveys on foot of bridges that I am unsure about. With good access it is possible to get within about 6" or so. Good access isn't always available e.g. railroad bridges, freeways

I have thought about putting a laser sight at the top of the mast to project an X on the bridge. Then if you can see the cross portion of the X you know you've got a problem. Or a camera. Whatever it is has to be good because if you're going under a bridge downstream with a following current you can't just sit there stationary and puzzle out the electronics
Jammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:28   #48

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

So what’s the cost to unstep the mast vs buying a replacement if this process fails. Feeling lucky?

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat