Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2017, 04:49   #16

Re: Sailboats with a Forward Head Layout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
Exactly. I doubt they were asking a skipper to heave to while doing it.

A natural place for a toilet on a boat.

On a large sailing boat going downwind, perhaps, but on a small yacht plunging into head seas? Not so obvious.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:55   #17

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

When I was a kid I coveted the Islander Freeport 36 and bought one when my children were young (A plan, with a vee berth). We only had the boat for a couple of years and despite the fact that my ex-brother-in-law (of whom I am very fond and respect his knowledge of boat building) was president of Islander Yachts for many years, the boat was poorly made. While underway, we could see the hull flexing in the vee berth. The hull-deck seam leaked badly as it was put together with 5200 and self-tapping screws. I could go on.

Our current boat has a forward head and it makes a lot of sense to me. Granted, using it in rough conditions is a challenge but, typically, you're only in the head for a few minutes at a time. Sleeping in a vee berth in rough weather can almost be impossible.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:03   #18

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
I don't agree. Crew weren't treated like people when ships were wood and men were iron.

The place for a single head on a boat is at the base of the companionway. THE place. It's a place for bodily functions that is near the center of motion. It's a place to drop wet foulies without dragging water and salt through the boat. The watch can use the head or brush their teeth or clean eyewear without waking the boat.

A forward head is an easy and convenient design choice but not a good arrangement for cruising.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:14   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Not the best place when you are going to windward.

Ann wrote "when hard on the wind."

The implication is that when beating against seas (pitching) you will not be sitting so easily if you try to sit on or stand before a toilet in the forepeak. Your bum, feet and body are likely to get airborne.

Sailors that sail in the open ocean (I.e. Not on relatively flat waters) would understand that.

I hope that helps you see her valid point.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:18   #20
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
I don't agree. Crew weren't treated like people when ships were wood and men were iron.

The place for a single head on a boat is at the base of the companionway. THE place. It's a place for bodily functions that is near the center of motion. It's a place to drop wet foulies without dragging water and salt through the boat. The watch can use the head or brush their teeth or clean eyewear without waking the boat.

A forward head is an easy and convenient design choice but not a good arrangement for cruising.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:46   #21

Boat: Westsail 28

We like the layout , I always flatten the boat out when Ms.westie goes down below (for anything)
WESTSAIL 28 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:26   #22

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

Before you commit to a forward head I'd suggest you go out on a boat with one in 12 -15kts of breeze and lumpy seas going to weather and try and use the head. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:52   #23

I really like the idea of a forward head but in practical sense on a small boat it is tough. My Bristol 24 has the head under the v berth. There is a hinged panel that lifts up it is under there about 1/2 way into the vberth area. Tank underneath. I havent figured out yet how i would possibly access the hoses or tank if i need to without ripping up the floor of the vberth

I have lived on the boat for about 6 months now and it means clearing out the v berth of at least people while using it. I live by myself and converted the port side dinette to a full size twin berth which is where i sleep. The v berth has turned into a head / closet / bulk storage area and while on the mooring ball or in a slip it works pretty good for one person
.anytime i sail or move the boat i move a lot of stuff to secure it, distribute weight and the motion of the boat scrambles the stuff i dont take care of first.

But if i was living with anyone else ... Hopefully not to sound too sexist, but especially my girlfriend or most other women i find it hard to believe that they would deal with that arrangement too often of getting out of the vberth to use the head. Especially at night....Although i realized rather quickly that at least for me 24 feet is a small boat to live on and it works good for me but i dont think i could do it with anyone else.
drakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:54   #24

I really like the idea of a forward head but in practical sense on a small boat it is tough. My Bristol 24 has the head under the v berth. There is a hinged panel that lifts up it is under there about 1/2 way into the vberth area. Tank underneath. I havent figured out yet how i would possibly access the hoses or tank if i need to without ripping up the floor of the vberth. I took the head out, capped all the hoses and put a composter in

I have lived on the boat for about 6 months now and it means clearing out the v berth of at least people while using it. I live by myself and converted the port side dinette to a full size twin berth which is where i sleep. The v berth has turned into a head / closet / bulk storage area and while on the mooring ball or in a slip it works pretty good for one person
.anytime i sail or move the boat i move a lot of stuff to secure it, distribute weight and the motion of the boat scrambles the stuff i dont take care of first.

But if i was living with anyone else ... Hopefully not to sound too sexist, but especially my girlfriend or most other women i find it hard to believe that they would deal with that arrangement too often of getting out of the vberth to use the head. Especially at night....Although i realized rather quickly that at least for me 24 feet is a small boat to live on and it works good for me but i dont think i could do it with anyone else.
drakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:14   #25

Boat: CS36T

Beneteau first R10 has a forward head
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:17   #26

Quote:

A voice of reason and sanity.

Our boat has a huge V berth and an aft head.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:20   #27

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutt View Post
Beneteau first R10 has a forward head
What's your point? A forward head is a bad thing. On that boat you disrupt anyone at the dinette to use the head. In a sea it's at least uncomfortable and maybe messy. You'll wake anyone trying to nap on the settees.

It's an okay day boat or buoy racer. That doesn't make forward heads a good idea for a cruiser.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:33   #28

Boat: Gulf 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
The outboard person has no way to get over the other person, A lot of legs and knees were mashed in the process. A V berth is not easy but you can exit without crawling over the other person.
Not always true, especially in the lower end of the size range. Our Gulf 32 the starboard side person in the v-berth can't get out without crawling over the port side person or having the port side person sit up and out of the way.

-- Bass
Old 07-06-2017, 14:29   #29

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

If memory serves (I've not earned one) the Dreadnought 32 may have one, depending upon who built out the hull.
Old 07-06-2017, 17:08   #30

Quote:

I agree.
I also agree that a bee-berth does not make a good passage berth.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, head, sail, sailboat