Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2021, 01:40   #1

Sailing around the world - What Monohull would you buy?

So I'm planning to sail around the world (exact route not yet determined) starting end of 2022 and I'm currently looking for monohull bluewater cruisers (>40ft).

I'd like to have a boat which can be handled (from time to time) solo but also I'll have friends and family coming along on most parts of the journey (friends have sailing experience, family do not).

If you had a budget of max Euro 400k ($500k), what would you recommend?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.
mikeysz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 03:11   #2

Re: Sailing around the world - What Monohull would you buy?

Learn to crawl and walk before you run. Do you already have sailing experience?

A trip of thousand miles starts with the first step. In your case with a step to check your bank account. Is there enough for you to finance the boat and taking 3 years off without having to work? In case you envision yourself as a digital nomad, the answer is no.

As to your question itself, the way you ask makes it look a lot like a pipe-dream of a keyboard-warrior unhappy with his current situation. In case I'm wrong, it would be a lot better focus in the basics first instead of starting with this one. The timeline of leaving 2022 is also awfully close for someone who isn't already on his way there.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 05:11   #3

Thanks Joh. Yes I have enough to retire and yes i have some sailing experience (still learning every day). I will also be taking additional courses before setting off (including sailing, engine maintenance, CPR & first aid, etc).

I appreciate your comments might be well meant but I'm not so much asking life advice as what kind of a boat would other (much more experienced) sailors look at if they were in my shoes with the purchase budget I have. I'm not unhappy with my life, I've just always wanted to go on a sailing adventure and I'm in a position now to be able to start that.
mikeysz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 05:25   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Well that's a decent budget, but personally I wouldn't spend more than half of it and not for a new boat either. A world trip is going to involve a lot of wear and tear. Its a lot of docks, marinas and old harbours or pontoons in addition to the anchoring. The cheap route is to anchor all the time like Sailing Yacht Florence who are doing really well on a tiny budget. However, you're not in that budget bracket.

So what would I choose, well something European and probably Scandinavian. How about this sort of thing:

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1...d-391-3800517/

Or perhaps this:

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2...d-460-3595389/

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 05:35   #5

I’d recommend a 10-15 year old Amel 54 or thereabouts. A HR44 would be another good choice. Just realize that the probability of you actually going from novice to circumnavigating is about 1 in 1000, and don’t be disappointed if it doesn’t work out but you have a hell of a lot of fun along the way. Good luck!
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 05:40   #6

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysz View Post
I'm not unhappy with my life, I've just always wanted to go on a sailing adventure and I'm in a position now to be able to start that.
Sounds good and you can go on a sailing adventurer just about anytime without sailing RTW.

Sailing across a normal size bay in weather a bit stronger than you are used to can give you weeks of fond memories ......or at least memories depending on the boat, your skill level, and actually how bad the weather gets.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 05:40   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailing around the world - What Monohull would you buy?

https://www.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/ko...or-sale/617616

https://www.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/sw...or-sale/613964

https://www.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/is...or-sale/651554

Spending any more is to be frank unnecessary to my mind unless you fall into the.. Latest Registration Car category

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 09:40   #8

Boat: Saltram 31

The newest and largest second hand Moody your budget will allow.
Speaking from experience they are the best value outstanding sea boat you can buy, without paying the Scandinavian premium, or the marketing premium for other "puffed" yachts.
malcolmlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 09:41   #9

Boat: Camano 41

If that was my budget for a boat purchase, I am in the Amel, Hallberg Rassy, Deerfoot crowd.
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 09:47   #10

Boat: Albin Vega 27 / Ericson E30

Quote:
So I'm planning to sail around the world (exact route not yet determined) starting end of 2022 and I'm currently looking for monohull bluewater cruisers (>40ft).

I'd like to have a boat which can be handled (from time to time) solo but also I'll have friends and family coming along on most parts of the journey (friends have sailing experience, family do not).

Don´t plan, leave... now you are asking for a decent bluewater cruiser? Go to Sweden and look for a rebuilt Hallberg-Rassy Monsun 31. You won´t need nearly 400K and you will have a very comfortable and specially safe and for singlehand manageable boat. God, I loved the Monsun´s I found underway. Even the spouses of the sailors where fascinated.

Small tip! When I left all my family wanted to come on board, all my friends stated to be there in less than a year. In 10 years I have only seen 1 daughter and she was no help sailing.

Just thinking loud...
Albinvega27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 09:52   #11

Quote:

Swan 46
Dsmnswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 09:52   #12

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

Why spend a lot of money for a monohull? After several 100s or 1000 miles you will start to think about a multihull. So I would recommend to start with a good but not expensive boat as a Jeanneau Sun Magic 44 (44 french ft realistic 42ft). With a Sun Magic I sailed several times over the Atlantic in both directions. I was amazed how a strong boat she is for downwind sailing but if going to windward let her go, do press as then she begins pounding.

My experience during my circumnavigations was that during the summer rest on the west side of the Pacific I met several sailors thinking about changing to a multihull. They regret their decision for a monohull before the start of their jurney as they knowed not much about multihulls and even thinking that multihulls do not sail.
Good luck.
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 09:52   #13

Boat: Lagoon 400

Well, I would say that a person who plans to sail around the world should know the sailing environment enough to recognize the suitable boat for the adventure.
To the point: look for a boat between 40 to 50 feet, except Amel that at 54 feet is rigged for a couple.
Any boat from reputable builder will do, however there are several builders that build more robust vessel, e.g. Moody, HR, Oyster, Amel, Contest, Najad. This is not comprehensive list, there are more like the above.
You will want a lot of equipment for circumnavigation, eg. downwind sails, watermaker, liferaft, long range comms equipment, etc.
So a second hand boat that already did blue water duty may be better choice.
Old 14-03-2021, 09:54   #14

https://www.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/sw...or-sale/613964
Dsmnswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 10:05   #15

Boat: Passport 51

Amel Super Maramu
XtaSea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull, round the world, sail, sailing