Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2022, 06:35   #1

Boat: Tanzer 22 to learn to sail on .
Sailing Boat Home ?

Quick question, Just a quick question from those that would know more .

If my wife and I bought a sailboat in the US , how difficult would it be to sail it back to the east coast of Canada ? Would it be something that more inexperienced sailer could manage?

The boat would in alll likely hood be 30-34 feel full keel heavy boat ? What kind of time frame would we be looking at ! Yes I know we could research it , but I feel it’s easier to learn faster from someone that has attempted, or accomplished it before ,

An experienced person may think , or point out things I would never think of, when it would come to undertaking such a plan . In my life I have never minded hard work to save money . Mostly out of necessity to be honest , but it has taught me to be more resourceful and handy , which I am grateful for .
Thank you .
Lady Captin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 06:48   #2

Re: Sailing Boat Home ?

Day sailing/harbour hopping 50 miles a day average.
There is a lot more that goes into route planning but I've found that to be my average when I'm trying to get someplace coastal sailing.
That being said I certainly wouldn't want to do an ICW trip like that on a new to me boat and not the most experience.
Save yourself a lot of problems and buy something in Canada.
Barkingmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 07:58   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Captin View Post
If my wife and I bought a sailboat in the US , how difficult would it be to sail it back to the east coast of Canada ? Would it be something that more inexperienced sailer could manage?

The boat would in alll likely hood be 30-34 feel full keel heavy boat ? What kind of time frame would we be looking at !

I'd guess as long as you're getting comfortable progressing on your learner boat, a larger/heavier boat could work cloesly enough... and might even be easier for some things.

It'd probably be easy enough to hire a training captain for your early days.

Depending on where you buy, could be a whole lot of motoring, not so much sailing. For example, east coast AICW is mostly in well protected waters. Going "outside" can be discretionary depending on whatever (weather, for example) unless mast height becomes an issue (and it looks like models you're shopping on wouldn't present too much problem with that.)

We usually aim for 50-60 NM/day, but it's easy for us to do that... what with the diesels and all. Still, and again depending on where you buy, the situation could be similar for you. Lots of things to see along the way, good excuse to do short hops and then see some scenery.

-Chris
Old 24-01-2022, 08:58   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Where do you envision buying the boat? Using the ICW farther north is OK and even pretty, but getting from the biggest east coast market, Miami, to just as far north as Fort Worth means 29 lift bridges that can't accomodate a 25 ft. mast without your waiting for them to open.
Old 24-01-2022, 13:20   #5

Boat: Sabre 402

A lot depends upon where you might find the boat and where on Canada's east coast you're headed. 50-mile days are quite a stretch for a mid-sized sailboat. We often plan using a 5-knot average speed. A 10-hour day would be pretty long and tiring, and often the first and last hour might be spent getting out of and back into port - not adding to the 50 miles, really. Going without stops changes the equation entirely, but you need the crew and they need the skills to make it happen. Connecticut to mid-coast Maine can be done in perhaps three or four days that way. Lots of variables.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 13:45   #6

For inexperienced people, a 50NM day under power would be a long, tiring and utterly boring day. A succession of them would be apt to put a serious damper on any future desire to go sailing. But if you can steer a Tanzer 22 thrashing along under outboard power, you can steer a 36 foot grown-up cruising boat under inboard diesel power. But remember that steering ain't navigating :-)!

For inexperienced people a 50NM day under sail alone would be well nigh an impossibility in many circumstances. and would be apt to impart a serious, serious dose of reality to them wot try it! Kiss of death to most people's desire to become seafarers!

Since you are in Manitoba, why don't you buy a boat in the Lakes and leave it there between sails?

Or why don't you come to BC, since you are halfway ere already? BC has some of the finest temperate cruising water in the world!

What kinda boat are you expecting to find in the US that could possibly justify buying there, when there are so many splendid boats for sale in Lake Ontario and, even more so, in BC?

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 13:57   #7

Boat: Bristol 27

Probably not a good idea until you sail and motor the boat locally for a while to find out what it is and what it is not.

Does it even have the right anchor or was it used for marina hopping, and there are tons of other scenarios any one of which can derail this.

Are you used to sleeping on a boat?

If not and you get tired, it could make the trip quite hard unless you stop and maybe get a room at a nice motel.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 21:29   #8

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

This is more about your comfort and confidence than anything else. I sailed my 1975 Tartan 41 from Erie PA to Rhode Island, through the Erie Canal, down the Hudson. out around Long Island and up Narraganset bay with very little keel boat experience. I had never captained one, I had never been in a lock before... However, I did have a significant amount of dinghy sailing experience and some experience as crew on keel boats.

You are not going to get in trouble out in the water. you are much more likely to get in trouble docking and near shallows.

That said, Insurance may be an issue for you. I keep seeing threads about newbies not being able to get insurance on their boats.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 21:35   #9

Boat: KP 46

As noted, it depends on where your voyage begins. I note in your other post you mention Florida.

Think of it this way, motoring up the east coast in the ICW is pretty simple, easy, and you can stop for a while whenever you want, you will have bridges to wait for, and idiots galore that haven't a clue about right-away rules and powerboat wakes, shallow water and tides to deal with, but it is pretty basic. There is a short hop a few miles outside just before New York, but the rest is all protected water, well marked, and once you get to New York you head up the Hudson and thru the Erie Canal to Ontario. If you go this way you will probably only make 50 miles per day, so plan on at least a month. It is interesting with lots to see if you have never done it, and most of the nights you would spend in a marina. You could actually leave your boat for a while, then return to continue your trip at your leisure.

Outside you will probably make 150 to 180 per day with the stream so with good weather 4 or 5 days to the Chesapeake with lots of room, little traffic and only the weather to concern you. Easy to come in at the mouth of the Chesapeake, then it is back to motoring. (Add another day and a half if you stay outside till New York, but the Chesapeake is a pretty interesting place to visit and worth coming in to see). I have done inside a few times and outside more times than I recall and each is an interesting trip.

The trip up the Hudson and thru the canal is also very easy, interesting and lots to see, like driving down a highway. I have come down the Erie Canal, but never gone up it.

If you think of it as an adventure rather than moving the boat, it is fun. If you are just pushing to get there it is time consuming and slow, (think of driving Florida to Ontrario at 7 mph).

One thing for sure, you will know your boat when you get home!

Either way, relax and enjoy the trip.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 21:36   #10

Boat: Nordic 44

Not really enough information to answer your question. The east coast of the US is very long. US to Canada is a day sail from Maine or quite a few days (weeks) from Florida. Will the boat have an autopilot? Are you comfortable sailing at night or a few days straight? Doing day hops means a lot of time getting into and out of safe harbors, checking into marinas or anchoring. All that time can be turned into miles made good by going for a few days at a time or even nonstop.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2022, 06:24   #11

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingmad View Post
Day sailing/harbour hopping 50 miles a day average.
There is a lot more that goes into route planning but I've found that to be my average when I'm trying to get someplace coastal sailing.
That being said I certainly wouldn't want to do an ICW trip like that on a new to me boat and not the most experience.
Save yourself a lot of problems and buy something in Canada.
Also the hassle & expense of "importing" the boat to Canada. Taxes, new documentation etc.
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2022, 07:16   #12

Boat: Hunter 46

Hire a captain for the entire trip or first few legs AND pick safe weather windows.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2022, 11:41   #13

Boat: Beneteau

I can't see this being the best option given a lack of experience in sailing that distance. Most people learn in increments.

Adding cost to go see the boat, have it surveyed and provisioned could take multiple trips. Add to that the massive tax bill once you make your first stop in Canada. I'm thinking there's plenty boats nearer to you that once all the cost are considered would be a better deal.

If you want an adventure that too can be had without leaving the country. All taken into account it seems like the option that would actually see you stick with it and not get turned off and overwhelmed right of the hop.

We went through this with our present boat where we considered boats as far south as the Caribbean but time and all other considerations kept us from pulling the trigger. Eventually we found just the right boat in Nova Scotia and that was nine years ago and we feel it was the best option.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2022, 11:55   #14

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Captin View Post
Quick question, Just a quick question from those that would know more .

The boat would in alll likely hood be 30-34 feel full keel heavy boat ? What kind of time frame would we be looking at ! Yes I know we could research it , but I feel it’s easier to learn faster from someone that has attempted, or accomplished it before ,

An experienced person may think , or point out things I would never think of, when it would come to undertaking such a plan . In my life I have never minded hard work to save money . Mostly out of necessity to be honest , but it has taught me to be more resourceful and handy , which I am grateful for .

Thank you .

How much time you have? If all the time then ICW until you get hang of it and learn how to plan slowly how to go outside.

I am going to disagree with most opinions.
Let’s say you time your purchase so you can be around MD/NJ in spring.
Let’s say you found the boat in South Florida.
The trip alone with your wife on a 30 ft vessel should test your marriage after the third week or so. Which is good. If this adventure goes south, you are still in USA and sell the boat. If on the other hand is all great, then you can expand time in and out of the ICW.
Anywhere in the east coast repairs are going to be faster, parts most likely available. I just don’t see any downside to this plan. You and wife will quickly find out if you will like the lifestyle.
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2022, 13:08   #15

Boat: Beneteau

Sunnybrook Yachts in Nova Scotia has several boats that might appeal to you. They have two Niagaras and a Bayfield as well as several others that would be in a similar vein and good asking price.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailing