Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2017, 17:40   #31

Re: Sailing Experiences on Mason 43/44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Perhaps I am missing something, but I don't see the offset companionway as unsafe. Do you mean in a knock-down to starboard, that it will take on more water?
I guess what I'm getting at, is that there is a bit less protection from the elements in the cockpit, due to the dodger set up. The traveler sits right on top of the aft cabin top. This would make it more difficult to create an enclosed shelter with a bimini. I would think that and steering, or taking a watch in heavy seas, would just offer less protection from the elements in the cockpit. I'm interested to know how much of this is really an issue from those that have actually done it with this boat.
johngfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 18:29   #32

Boat: Mason 44

Feel free to join our Mason owners group and post queries for owners to respond to.
MSB44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 00:50   #33

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I sailed from Tonga to NZ at the same time as a Mason 43. It took me a while to pass him, but I was sailing a Santa Cruz 40. It was fairly rough and I took one sneaker wave down the companionway a day out of NZ, but the only thing the Mason complained about was that he was being passed.

I had another friend with a Mason 44. It was a beautiful boat and sailed well, even if he did use the motor a lot. I remember one day when he was coming north out of Port Vila to Havanna Harbor, and giving us a running commentary on the VHF. He said he had to turn on the engine to get around the point. He asked what he should do, and I had to tell him it was called a tack....
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 10:57   #34

I wouldn’t say her sailing performance is just ok. The Mason 44 sailing performance is incredible. If you’re looking for a racing sailboat then this isn’t the vessel for you, but if you want a boat that is perfectly balanced, comfortable in all conditions, then she is second to none. Masons are beautiful to look at and they perform just as well under sail. From then to present day it would be hard to find a better sailboat. I’ve sailed masons through gales with no reef, perfectly heeled, and she performed like an absolute dream. If you’re looking for an offshore racer then this isn’t the boat for you. But if you’re a traditionalist with salt in your veins, love for the sea in your heart then it would be hard to find anything better.

The Mason 44 is a fabulous boat, and is on a short list of boats to have, but her sailing performance is just ok. I have helped deliver a Mason 44 between the bay area and Channel Islands a couple of times, and enjoyed the SB Channel on her. A more modern hull will point to weather better and light air breezes are 2 main differences. Under a blow, I would rather be on the Mason, so it really depends on the type of sailing you will do. I sail out of Oxnard, on a Tartan 4400, and she gives me that same feeling of old world build quality, but with a more modern underbody and lighter epoxy hull. If you are not concerned with a couple of extra days on a long voyage, and are planning on casting off the dock lines for good, then the Mason is a great choice for the money. If you are like most (myself included) who own boats that can voyage, but mostly cruise the local area waters and can budget a bit higher for a nice boat, then contact me regarding my Tartan 4400 for sale in Oxnard. My info is in the classified section of Latitude 38.[/QUOTE]
sonnixo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 21:11   #35

[QUOTE=sonnixo;3043138]I wouldn’t say her sailing performance is just ok. The Mason 44 sailing performance is incredible. If you’re looking for a racing sailboat then this isn’t the vessel for you, but if you want a boat that is perfectly balanced, comfortable in all conditions, then she is second to none. Masons are beautiful to look at and they perform just as well under sail. From then to present day it would be hard to find a better sailboat. I’ve sailed masons through gales with no reef, perfectly heeled, and she performed like an absolute dream. If you’re looking for an offshore racer then this isn’t the boat for you. But if you’re a traditionalist with salt in your veins, love for the sea in your heart then it would be hard to find anything better.
sonnixo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 07:12   #36

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSB44 View Post

I have not heard of any horror stories involving the offset companionway. The only time its really ever come up is when Joe Minick's M43 Southern Cross got knocked down by a meltemi while at anchor in the eastern Med. Think his companionway was open (no drop boards in place) and that allowed water into the interior. He had an article about this event in Practical Sailor.
Joe had a 5/8 lexan companionway hatch in which broke during the knockdown. Incredible story. Makes one think twice about offset companionway hatches. Here it is. Good read.
https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...s_11012-1.html
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 15:30   #37

Boat: Mason 44

I know this is an old thread, but there were a couple of links to Mason forums, neither of which seem to exist anymore. Is anyone aware of a current Mason 44 forum?
(Yahoo Groups no longer exists)

Thanks
maclysaght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:52   #38

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclysaght View Post
I know this is an old thread, but there were a couple of links to Mason forums, neither of which seem to exist anymore. Is anyone aware of a current Mason 44 forum?
(Yahoo Groups no longer exists)

Thanks
Welcome aboard! I know, my Columbia group is closing down and looking for a new home too, Dec. 15. YOu can check with the folks here in this social group:https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/groups/all.html

You can also start a thread or two that have links to the social group. Activity in social groups doesn't get noticed unless it first gets a post in the current threads. Good luck!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing