Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2022, 15:02   #1

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41'
Sailing St. Augustine to Chesapeake Bay in October

We will be sailing from St. Augustine to Chesapeake Bay in October. Any advice on places to stop along the way for fuel would be appreciated. We will be taking the Ocean route in our 41' Morgan Out Ketch. Thanks
SVGraceMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2022, 18:57   #2

Re: Sailing St. Augustine to Chesapeake Bay in October

Why on earth do you think you will need to stop for fuel?

You'll have the following current of the gulf stream (up to 4.5 knots), and the prevailing winds from the SE. You should be expecting to sail almost all the way, assuming you pick a good weather window.
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 06:26   #3

Boat: Maine Cat 38

St Augustine to the Chesapeake is a nice cruise.

We usually start with the overnight run to Charleston, heading east north east out of St Augustine until we catch some current, then setting a waypoint at about the Charleston sea buoy. 40 miles out we evaluate if we want to go in or not. It is fairly easy in and out of Charleston and fuel is easy to find.

If carrying on instead of going in shift to a waypoint off Diamond Shoal and be watching the weather to time your way around Hatteras. Along the way Southport and Beaufort NC are easy in and out. There are other great places to visit all of which have fuel.

Keep in mind that each trip into a harbor is adding many miles to the trip. Also these inlets are best traversed with the tide, so for us each stop is an overnight. But we use these stops to rest and enjoy the local offerings, often staying a a couple nights.

Staying offshore the entire way is certainly doable if the crew is able to manage a watch rotation. Getting in the gulfstream is a fun boost. Once out there in good conditions we find ourselves hesitant to leave. Running non stop to the Chesapeake is very pleasant as long as the weather holds.

October typically offers great conditions, book ended with fronts that the prudent sailor will want to carefully evaluate. We have intentionally left St Augustine in a low to enjoy some breeze that puts the miles on.
Old 22-08-2022, 14:31   #4

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Wind opposite the Gulf Stream = really nasty for this size boat.
Be very cautious about your weather.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 15:37   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423

What is your thinking as to why you will need fuel and how often do you think you will need it? If you stay along the coast you can duck in for fuel in quite a few places. If you want to try to maximize the Gulf Stream boost you will be too far offshore to make refueling practical.

My suggestions for stops though are:

Charleston is a relatively easy in/out. Charleston City Marina has fuel on a face dock that is parallel to the currents so unless there is a really adverse cross wind on and off that dock is pretty straight forward. It can be busy on weekends.

Southport Marina is another good option but I suggest taking the ICW from there and exit at Masonboro to avoid having to get out and around Frying Pan shoals. I've never been out of Carolina Beach Inlet. In the right weather and tides it is probably doable but I suggest more research on that.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 16:21   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

The west wall of the Gulf Stream is about 60 miles due east of St. Augustine, and by this time, it's direction is likely to take a wandering course. Only 30 miles up the coast, the west wall is about 80 miles due east of J'ville.
So to get any use out of the Gulf Stream means you will need to be well offshore, so ducking in for fuel makes little sense.
You can get the Gulf Stream location online without any trouble.

As above, rounding Frying Pan Shoals will require you to say well offshore. If you do round FPS, my suggestion would be to make for Morehead City, but if you are relatively close to shore, make for Southport.

I'd be inclined to recommend coming in either at Southport or at Morehead City and taking the ditch from there. I say ditch, but you will have two rather large sounds to to traverse.

In my opinion, you would likely be better served by staying relatively close to the coastline until Southport. I've done this trip. It becomes a question of distance travelled to reach your objective.

The ICW from Southport going south is a pain in the rear end, so by staying offshore you will miss most of the headaches.

You say "in October" but don't say the beginning or end of Oct, meaning to say, the closer to November, the higher will be your odds of front, so keep a eye for the weather.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2022, 15:06   #7

Thank you, this was very helpful.
Old 26-08-2022, 15:09   #8

Thank you, we plan on staying close to the coast. This is a new boat to us and it will be the first real trip that we have taken with her. So I guess it is out of extreme caution. We plan on going the first 2 weeks in Oct. if the weather holds out.
Old 26-08-2022, 15:21   #9

Thank you for your comments, I do believe that we have decided to take the ICW at Morehead City. Everyone has been very helpful and we appreciate all your advice. I am sure I will have many more questions and I feel comfortable asking and listening to those with more experience than we have. Thank you again.
Old 26-08-2022, 15:24   #10
Marine Service Provider

Close is a relative thing....10 miles or less, should enable you to keep moving more or less in a straight line..and keep you away from most shoals, etc.
At 10 miles or less, you are likely to still be able to maintain cell phone coverage.

Here's my biggest tip for you. Become a BoatUS member, the yearly subscription is not much, but if you are in a jam, call them on the vhf, and they will come out to you.
Without that membership, such service would cost you an arm and a leg. They have several plans. For $200 per annum, you can get it all. Worth every dime in my book. Don't leave the dock without it !!!
Old 27-08-2022, 05:09   #11

Boat: Oyster 55

FWIW:

Your route will obviously be your choice however if you find yourself close to shore and you want to get around Frying Pan Shoals there is a well marked passage through the shoals that can save you considerable time. Also the inlet at Wrightsville beach is well marked for a night approach and quite safe. Banks Channel is a well protected anchorage if needed. Dingy dock, fuel, restaurants and a small grocery store are all within walking distance. Last but not least the ICW is right there. Dock space is limited at best and mostly unavailable but again the anchorage is protected.
However I would repeat what others have said and stay off shore providing you have a weather window. The stream is a great turbocharger for a sailboat.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2022, 05:37   #12
Marine Service Provider

There was a time I thought the Morgan OI 41 ketch was the sweetest boat on the planet. It certainly checked all the boxes for me. I still think it's an eye turner. Not the fastest horse in town, but a good steady plodder. You don't see many these days, but in the late 70's, there were quite a few in the charter trade.

I get that this is your first go around. Sticking relatively close to shore is a smart plan and I'd stick to it. Forget about the Gulf Stream, it will be too far out to be practical for you.

There are many inlets along the way should you decide to duck in.

The Chesapeake is a phenomenal cruising area. You could spend a lifetime there and not see it all. November is a tad late to do a lot of cruising, so you'll likely have to pick your days, but most every place you'll want to see is only a few hours from each other

Don't forget the BoatUS membership, any drama, whether offshore or on the ICW, they'll come help you out. Think of it as "insurance"

Wishing you a safe and enjoyable trip!
Old 27-08-2022, 07:40   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Close is a relative thing....10 miles or less, should enable you to keep moving more or less in a straight line..and keep you away from most shoals, etc.
At 10 miles or less, you are likely to still be able to maintain cell phone coverage.

Here's my biggest tip for you. Become a BoatUS member, the yearly subscription is not much, but if you are in a jam, call them on the vhf, and they will come out to you.
Without that membership, such service would cost you an arm and a leg. They have several plans. For $200 per annum, you can get it all. Worth every dime in my book. Don't leave the dock without it !!!
Thank you for the information. I have Progressive Insurance with tow insurance supposed to be covered, but I will add BoatUS it sounds like a better deal.
Old 27-08-2022, 07:44   #14

Thank you for the information! Since it is our first trip with this boat and we are not exactly confident in our sailing ability I think it is probably better if we stay closer to shore at least this time.
Old 27-08-2022, 09:56   #15

My husband and I are so happy we found this boat and it was at a price we could afford (if you can ever afford a boat) there is always something more you want to do and fix or update. We are thrilled with her and as you said it ticked all the boxes for us.

Thank you for your supportive comments and looking forward to exploring the Chesapeake!

Tags
chesapeake bay, sail, sailing