Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2012, 16:49   #1

Sailing Tunes

I am a week and a half from moving aboard, can't tell you how excited I am! New boat ( to me), new life style, new life! That said some things never change. For me one of them is my deepest love of music. Pretty much everyday of my life for as long as I can remember some form of music has played. With this in mind I would love to hear some of the music that helps you all pass the day. Currently my favorite boat song is a tune by the zac brown band called "knee deep" just love this tune. my personal taste are unlimited running from jonny cash and Gordon lightfoot to Metallica and megadeath thanks to my kids. So let me know, what plays on your radio as you cruise your sunny waters?
Old 19-04-2012, 17:00   #2

Boat: None. As for a name, let's just say "Wishful Thinking"...
Re: Sailing tunes

there's another thread like this somewhere, but i'll join in on this, too.

i also like a wide array of music, but for some reason, when i'm on a sailing vessel, Owl City's "Ocean Eyes" album seems the perfect fit.
heyniceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 17:07   #3

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Ok.. This seems to be a good start to a thread - so to ensure it doesn't fall into the softest of cheese I've listed below tracks which IHMO represent a "no-go" zone due to their prevalence on travel shows whenever a sailboat is shown on the screen:

David Gray : Sail away
Rod Steward : I am sailing
Enya : Orinoco Flow

I'm not passing any judgement on the tracks themselves <rolleyes>
Old 19-04-2012, 18:10   #4

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

I am personally keen to "Scheherezade" no matter where I am or what I am doing. As far as specific sailing song goes, I am fond of "Marathon" by Tennis.
Old 19-04-2012, 18:53   #5

Clare de Lune works most places too, and takes on a whole new twist of farcical serenity during poor weather!
Old 19-04-2012, 19:10   #6

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Colin Hay. this song really speaks to me because of my recent medical troubles. I can hear my husband telling me how everything is going to be ok.

Not many people will uh find this one enjoyable I think, it's Bulgarian folk music :-) but it has such a lovely haunting tune. I had the Cosmos soundtrack when I crossed the atlantic for the first time, this Song was on it. Perfect for the night watch. If you've ever been offshore, way offshore, the sky is beyond description.

Last but not least, for my hubby, who has a ukulele aboard :-) I grew up in Hawaii so it brings back such great memories
Old 19-04-2012, 19:29   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl
Not many people will uh find this one enjoyable I think, it's Bulgarian folk music :-) but it has such a lovely haunting tune. I had the Cosmos soundtrack when I crossed the atlantic for the first time, this Song was on it. Perfect for the night watch. If you've ever been offshore, way offshore, the sky is beyond description.
Ok. So I clicked the link and I and the two dogs leapt a foot off the sofa as I hadn't realized the volume was on max - it made me chuckle at the thought of the off-watch crew scrambling out of their slumber due to the sound.

That said, I can totally hear/picture that working with a milky way filled sky for the same reason that it work in a desert at night: "magnificent desolation" as another resident of ClearLake once said from the moon... except he wasn't listening to great music as he stepped down the ladder - what a missed opportunity!
Old 20-04-2012, 16:48   #8

[QUOTE="heyniceguy"]there's another thread like this somewhere, but i'll join in on this, too.

I searched for one but maybe I haven't figured out how the search feature works. Could you direct me to it I would like to read it.

Thanks.
Old 20-04-2012, 17:02   #9

Boat: Catalina 34

Since I'm sure you'll hear about many well-known sailing songs, I'll share a blog post I recently did about "The Best Sailing Songs You've Never Heard."
Old 20-04-2012, 17:04   #10

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Maybe the mods could do the magical..... convergence of the threads
Old 20-04-2012, 17:07   #11

Boat: Tartan 30

Old 20-04-2012, 18:58   #12

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.
Re: Sailing Tunes

......gotta love the "Drop Kick Murphies"but Colin Hay's "Waiting for My Real Life to Begin" resonates w/me (today is my 70th BD)...thanks for sharing I needed that....
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 19:38   #13

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanna reiter View Post
......gotta love the "Drop Kick Murphies"but Colin Hay's "Waiting for My Real Life to Begin" resonates w/me (today is my 70th BD)...thanks for sharing I needed that....
Glad to be of service. And congratulations on being so old!
Old 22-04-2012, 01:54   #14

Boat: Great Barrier 48

I can never make up my mind so I put my iPod on shuffle songs!!!!!!
PappiRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 02:19   #15

Boat: Great Barrier 48

Oh and thanks for the links to YouTube, I was given a ukelele banjo by my brother clearing his attic. It's on the boat with my guitar, toy squeeze box, harp (Mouth size that is!!) gazoo etc...... It took me all of 5 minutes to learn to bash out a tune on the Uke but then I went to YouTube to see how it should be played. What talent there is in this world of ours and what time can be absorbed on YouTube!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Isn't Biulgarian folk music great and for another country try Warsaw Village Band. Can be found on YouTube and YouToo can use a few hours finding alsorts on that list down the right hand side of videos playing......
PappiRoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing