Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2022, 07:41   #1

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser
Sailors destiny?

What happened aboard the German registered Sailing Yacht Escape, a CNB 66. I heard rumors that a accident happened aboard and the owner and his wife died. May be an accidental gib, there have been two more crew members aboard the boat.
Did some other sailor knows more?
Thank for any reply.
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 09:10   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Sailors destiny?

Volker and Annemarie’s Blog:
“Sailing-escape” https://sailingescape.blog/?s=
English ➥ https://sailingescape.blog/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 10:29   #3

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

Hi Gord

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I know the blog. But something, may be an accident, happened after the Bermudas en route to the Azores, and this after Tropical storm Alex. The rumors are that a coast guard was involved to evacuate people from board. I read a blog sailing-invia.com with the title R.I.P. Annemarie and Volker.

May be you find out more.
Old 22-06-2022, 11:36   #4

Oh no. I met them both years ago when they were just starting - we exchanged a lot of messages back and forth. They loved sailing, loved the boat and have been sailing it for a maybe 2/3 years now.

Crap
SV Tom Crean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 11:45   #5

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I don’t know what the story is, but here is the track.

https://www.noforeignland.com/boat/5...916480/journey

It looks like it began on its current track Monday at 4 AM. After some other maneuvers prior to that.

The last iridium check-in was today at 11am.

Sunday afternoon into Monday the boat was only doing a couple knots here and there.

Looks like something happened between 4 PM and 5 PM on Sunday.

And finally, the boat has been flying right along since Monday at 4pm. Looks like it’s making six or 7 kn again. Headed for Europe.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 04:53   #6

just checking I see that SY Escape is in Halifax/Nova Scotia. Thank you all for your reply and mentioning noforeignland.
Old 26-06-2022, 04:58   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by onavegador View Post
just checking I see that SY Escape is in Halifax/Nova Scotia. Thank you all for your reply and mentioning noforeignland.

Such a horrible accident. They both loved sailing and Kurt loved his boat - was a dream for both of them when they started cruising the CNB back in 2019.

We still don’t know the full story, that will come out in due course but was possibly the main sheet that caught them. I sailed a 66 for a couple of years and the only way to get hit with the boom is to be up on deck as the boom is so high. The main sheet is brought back to the cockpit sole just in front of the helms.
Old 24-07-2022, 13:22   #8
txg

Boat: Dufour 35

Here are more details about this horrible story:

https://www.bwsailing.com/anatomy-of-a-tragedy-at-sea/

I have no experience in sailing a 66 footer, but on our small 35 we always avoided rounding up for reefing and instead preferred to reef downwind.
Old 24-07-2022, 14:53   #9

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Reading those details again emphasizes in my mind how dangerous a big powerful sailboat can be in stormy conditions.

This CMB 66 carries over 2000 sq ft of plain sail area and the boom is 25 ft long. There is a tremendous amount of power in those sails and while they can be completely docile most of the time, even in strong weather if well controlled, things can get out of hand in an instant, as seen in this occurrence. The owner and his wife were fatally injured by the flogging mainsheet while trying to reef. The crew had performed this several times previously on that voyage, yet still it went wrong. Somehow when they came up into the wind this time the mainsheet was not sufficiently pulled in to prevent the flogging.

That is a BIG boat and that flogging main is capable of instant death. Even on my small 43' a wildly swinging mainsheet can cause a serious injury. This happened last year when my very experienced mainsheet trimmer was knocked unconscious and suffered a severe cut on the chin when the mainsheet hit him in the back and threw him to the deck during a gybe. By comparison we have only 843sqft of sail area and a main boom of 13 ft and that was in 20 knots of wind, not 35.

These days more people have money and are able to buy fantastic yachts, often ones which I would consider BIG. I sailed on a few boats over 60 feet and I often wondered how those sails could be managed by shorthanded crew in heavy conditions. Then we hear of people new to sailing who are considering 55-65ft catamarans. OMG, what could go wrong there?

It is important to remember that when we go to sea we are playing for keeps and a big boat carries deadly force. Immense respect is due.
Old 24-07-2022, 15:08   #10

Give you an idea of how big the boom is - I used to say the cabins slept 8 but you could sleep another 3 in the boom. I never liked the arrangement of the main sheet in the cockpit, and also you had to reef at the mast. It’s a big powerful rig that needed taming or it could be dangerous.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CNB66_NCZ8323_Original.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	442.4 KB
ID:	261502
Old 24-07-2022, 19:35   #11

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-s-266446.html
Old 24-07-2022, 21:32   #12

Boat: Outremer 55L

Wow, this is almost a replica of the Platino tragedy a few years earlier just north of NZ. A similarly sized sloop monohull broke its mainsheet during an accidental gybe, causing uncontrolled boom movements that killed two people. Very, very sad.

It sounds like the weather forecast lulled the crew into reefing later than the conditions warranted. The final reefing sounds like it was rushed and the sheet not tended properly, leading to the loose boom and broken mainsheet.

Are the mainsheets undersized so that they are still hand manageable? Or are they sized equally to the travellers and blocks and shackles and just happen to be what breaks first?

It took me almost the entire story to realise that the boat had a boom furling mainsail. Perhaps with that kind of furler the main cannot be reefed other than upwind? Certainly the ability to reef off the wind is a critical safety factor for short handed crews offshore.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 01:26   #13

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by txg View Post
Here are more details about this horrible story:

https://www.bwsailing.com/anatomy-of-a-tragedy-at-sea/

I have no experience in sailing a 66 footer, but on our small 35 we always avoided rounding up for reefing and instead preferred to reef downwind.
A harrowing story and tragedy indeed. Condolences for the deceased, their families and all involved.

On a side note, many boats, especially those with full batten mains can not be reefed with pressure in the main and have to be rounded up to do so.

Shorthanded in bad weather we even furl the Genoa before reefing the main. It's just one thing less to take care off and easy to unfurl after the reef is in.
Old 25-07-2022, 01:33   #14

No traveller on the CNB. Mainsheet ends in cockpit just in front of helm with a powered winch (which you really really need). It does show that a powerful main and boom along with having to round up for reefing is not a great solution for shorthanded sailing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	25a0e707adbef140c69a8004c47f249a_Original.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	261513
Old 25-07-2022, 02:17   #15

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
A harrowing story and tragedy indeed. Condolences for the deceased, their families and all involved.

On a side note, many boats, especially those with full batten mains can not be reefed with pressure in the main and have to be rounded up to do so.

Shorthanded in bad weather we even furl the Genoa before reefing the main. It's just one thing less to take care off and easy to unfurl after the reef is in.

We have a full battened, very large roach mainsail and can slab reef at any point of sail. Closer than 60* AWA is easiest as the sail can be eased and lies off the rig, but with certain techniques can be reefed even dead downwind. So I don’t think batten length has anything to do with it.

We do keep the jib drawing so that the boat has some way on and doesn’t just wallow. Downwind that takes some wind pressure off as well.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail