Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2021, 01:43   #1

Boat: Pregnant of a SO440
Sailyacht advice : New or second-hand

We have been sailing 40-foot charters for years and are looking to buy our own boat.
My first thought is a new Jeanneau 410 or 440 (or possibly Beneteau). However, my heart goes out to a Grand Soleil or a X-yacht. Budget around 250K.
I would like to hear from experienced people what you recommend. Grand Soleil, X-yacht in second-hand (recent ones are very hard to find) or new Jeanneau or Beneteau. The aim is to be able to sail the boat with 2 people but possibility to travel with 6 people comfortably for a week. The sailing area is mainly North Sea (Belgium - North of France - South of England) and of course also Dutch inland waters.
The sailing experience is limited to Jeanneau, Beneteau, Bavaria. What I am looking for in a boat is comfort, safety and a fun factor. ( 3 cabines and 2 heads).

Don't shoot me only looking for some good advice from sailors. Btw I don't have time to work long weekends on a renovation project.
Ceeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 01:58   #2

Re: Sailyacht advice : New or second-hand

Your requirements pretty much fit the most common charter yacht configuration. I'd definitely look for a used one, you should find a good selection. As to the brands, your knowledge transfers quite well from one to another. But it's always worth having a new one priced out so that you get a good understanding what is included. That'll make it easier for you to evaluate the used ones.

When buying boats, the brain takes second place anyway. Nobody in his right mind would buy a boat. It's mostly a balance act between emotions and the pain your wallet creates.

At the beginning of the season, the market is usually a bit dried up and prices higher, but with Covid and Brexit, there may also be some motivated sellers out there.

As a final though: Start also looking for a space in a marina that suits you. This might also be an adventure.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 03:05   #3

Boat: Pregnant of a SO440
Re: Sailyacht advice : New or second-hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
You're requirements pretty much fit the most common charter yacht configuration. I'd definitely look for a used one, you should find a good selection. As to the brands, your knowledge transfers quite well from one to another. But it's always worth having a new one priced out so that you get a good understanding what is included. That'll make it easier for you to evaluate the used ones.

When buying boats, the brain takes second place anyway. Nobody in his right mind would buy a boat. It's mostly a balance act between emotions and the pain your wallet creates.

At the beginning of the season, the market is usually a bit dried up and prices higher, but with Covid and Brexit, there may also be some motivated sellers out there.

As a final though: Start also looking for a space in a marina that suits you. This might also be an adventure.
Thanks! The idea is to have the boat in the summer of 2022
Ceeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, sail, yacht