Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 12:14   #1

Boat: Samson C Duece 45' (Shumbu)
Samson C-Deuce

Greetings all,

I have recently put in an offer to purchase a 45' Samson C Duece FC Ketch (centre cockpit). Are there any forum members that know this boat, or perhaps have one- and can perhaps share their thoughts about this boat.

Perhaps I should have asked this question prior to placing an offer. I have been looking at this particular boat for a long time- and now that she is on the market, I jumped at the opportunity.

Cheers,

Craig
Old 11-07-2010, 05:07   #2
Marine Service Provider

I have a Samson C-Breeze. She has been around the world. The most important thing about these boats is who built them. As a design offered up for the backyard builder, there are C.F.Norris boats built to many levels of quality. Some, such as mine, do not even look like they are ferrocement. Others look straight out of "The Flintstones". They can be incredibly strong and durable boats provided that they are maintained properly. Feel free to e-mail me at my website, www.seaworthysolutions.net , with specific questions that you may have about these boats. I have a lot of literature on them, Scott
xsboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:17   #3

Boat: Samson C Ranger - "Tin Cup" & Samson C-Farer - "Sam McGee"
Good luck with your offer on the C-Duece.

We have a Samson C-Ranger that we are in the middle of a refit, as well as a C-Farer that we currently sail.

Lots of information is available on Samson boats via the net, and most of the plans are still available as well.

One of our boats was yard built, while the other was built by the original owner, the C-Ranger is often mistaken for a FRP boat.

Both are stout and sturdy designs.
smallyachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:55   #4

C-Duece

Thanks guys,

Looks like the sale is going through. One question- engine- a Ford 75 h tends to smoke Thinking it could be injectors. Engine starts well, and sounds fine. Any advice before I conclude the sale? Originally he said he would fix, however, due to a lower offer than he expected, he (the owner) is no longer prepared to fix (ominous??).

Cheers,
Craig
Old 11-07-2010, 09:35   #5
Marine Service Provider

Ominous? Depends on the color of the smoke. If it has been sitting for awhile, it could be the rings. Have you checked the compression? I would be more concerned with rust stains on the hull. She is ferrocement, right? Ford Lehman parts are getting harder to find here. I've installed a 4236 Perkins.[85 hp.] Personally, I would knock $2000 US off of my offer , unless the price was already really low. C-Breezes go for $65k to $85k here in the States if professionally built and in ready to cruise condition.I've seen only one C-Duece for sale, here in St. Augustine; a real basket case , but only $10k.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:31   #6

Yip- Ferro indeed. Have not checked compression yet. Appear to be one or two small "weeping" spots of rust? Price for A cat =R250K (SA rands). Already knocked from R300K. Hull professionally built in 74 by Ferro Marine in Durban to Lloyds specks. Has just passed survey and is on National register.
Old 20-07-2010, 10:07   #7

At last

Deal finally concluded. We are now the proud owners of a 45' Ketch (C-Deuce). She is beautiful. She needs basic TLC, but is in good condition overall. I have probably done things backwards. I now need a skippers licence. Will do a day skippers, learn on my baby, and then do the coastal skippers.First, I need to learn all there is to learn about her. As they say, there is nothing more rewarding than messing about on boats ( or something to that effect).

Looking forward to sharing stories with you guys.
Cheers,
Craig
Old 11-10-2010, 20:40   #8
Marine Service Provider

c-duece

Craig, lets see some pics. Here's one of Sunshine. Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spirit_275.JPG
Views:	2589
Size:	337.3 KB
ID:	20025  
Old 13-10-2010, 11:12   #9

Boat: 37' Samson, Ferro
COngratulations Craig. I bought my C-Shell in 2007 after everybody (non cement owners) advised me not to. I love my boat, had to put some necessary work into her but well worth it.
Borealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 16:59   #10

Hi Craig
My wife and I sailed around the world on a Durban Built Samson C-deuce. Durban to Durban. You get a lot of boat for almost nothing. Great in storms. Let me know if you want any information.
Congratulations.
Keith
c-deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:01   #11

Boat: Sampson C-Breeze
Re: Samson C-Deuce

Hello, We have recently acquired a Samson C-Breeze from a boat yard where it was left to rot. The last owner has literally stripped of everything he thought he could sell. Now I need to know sizes for just about everything. The masts are aluminum, but without pullies or halyards, measuring for a sail plan is going to be difficult. I have no winches, prop or even a wheel. The C-deuce is virtually the same as the C-breeze according to the ferroboat's website. Forget Hartley for ordering plans, tried that, total rip off, nothing received, and only got condescension when I demanded when my order had been shipped. If anyone has these plans...I would love to buy it off of you, I have gutted the interior (it only contained waterlogged and rotted wood at any rate.) Thanks
Ferro-Afar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
samson