Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2013, 15:57   #1

San Juan 28 or Pearson 303?

I'm torn between these two boats. The SJ is a 79' and the Pearson is a 83'. The SJ comes with a complete set of racing and cruising sails and has been converted to wheel steering with autopilot. All lines lead aft. It appears to be in very good condition and well maintained.

The Pearson is pretty standard with genny and main. The main was new in 04'. Both vessels have pretty much the same electronics and navigation gear. The Pearson appears to be in decent condition but looks a bit "tired". Running rigging and probably standing rigging on both boats likely needs replacing.

I can get the SJ for $9000 or the Pearson for $11,000. I'm torn. Obviously a survey is in order on either boat.

While I use to do some racing 30 years ago, I don't know if I would really get much use out of the racing sails for the SJ. But who knows? I might enter a race or two. I'm really more into coastal cruising with a future trip to the Bahamas in a couple of years.

Which vessel would you choose?
Jcolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 05:44   #2

Re: San Juan 28 or Pearson 303?

I used to own a San Juan 23. It was a very well made boat that sailed extremely well. Not really looking for that type of boat anymore, but if I were I would not hesitate to buy another San Juan.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 06:18   #3

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

If you are not interested in racing and you will be mostly cruising the Pearson is better suited for your needs. The Pearson should have better tankage and interior amenities.

I used to own a SJ21 and also a Pearson 28. The build quality of the Pearson is better.

Performance of the SJ28 will be better than the 303 though. Especially pointing.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 18:40   #4

I took a long hard look at the Pearson today with a marine surveyor. The boat looks like it's been storm damaged, the mast needs some attention and there is a lot of moisture in the hull. Additionally, the underside of the pedestal wheel is rusted and most of the hoses on the motor need replacing.

I ruled it out.

The San Juan was in better shape but it too had some issues that I've asked the broker to look into.
Jcolman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson, pearson 30, san juan