Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2020, 16:36   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Scaling choices for the unpredictable

Yep.

Stick with this mindset. Do EVERYTHING to keep your body 'fighting fit'. Not to overdue oneself, but just to keep as much of your natural fitness and good health as mother nature gave you in your genetic set. This will pay back big dividends while cruising, and you will be able to enjoy any lifestyle you elect to pursue next, and enjoy it longer. Webb Chiles is 78 and he just finished his nnth circumnavigation last year. He DOES exercise every single day too!

The list of good things I can say about Amels is very long. I spend a lot of time on Martinique and there is you know this long long dock full of just Amels. I bet it is owned by some kind of Amel's service point or perhaps there is some kind of Amel owners club there. Good place to start a serious search for the candidate boat.

I sailed, hauled out and docked Amel 54 here (Las Palmas, Canary Islands) when I was entrusted with one for a time by her owner - in preparation for their ARC adventure. We modified her a bit (added solar energy and removed davits, added 2nd AP brain and a spare arm), but there was virtually zero repairs (in a boat then 3 years old). With just my mate to help as a deckhand (and she is not a bodybuilder by any count) we were able to manage the boat effortlessly. It IS a dream boat to handle by a crew of two. So I hope you have some kind of sailing partner to take along, live the dream and share the joy. It is also a very very easy boat to sail alone.

We only sailed her in the somewhat protected area of the outer harbour but I can say this boat tracks as if on rails. Such a huge contrast to many sloops that will twist and turn and ask the autopilot for too much. Here, you click the AP on and ... sip your diet Cola - the boat tracks right towards the destination. I did like this her trait very much too.

You are right that many are in Europe but do remember about Martinique, Guadeloupe, Barth and Martin being Europe and French. You will very easily find, check and test any French designed boat there. If you are in the US it is much closer, nicer and cheaper then to kick the tyres on these French islands!

Good luck and I hope to see you one day too - in one of these sweet Carribbean anchorages.

Should we coincide in the Caribbean, my mate speaks fluent French - so you can
get our support on the English / French interface, should you need it.

barnakiel
now in Las Palmas but at other times in Le Marin/Martinique
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:52   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 27

Yeah their will often be one in the Caribbean and one in the pacific islands but usually it's just one. I think I'd just rather go to Europe and look at six or seven.

If I start there I would like to run up to Ireland, England, Sweden, Norway etc. I've already been to the med and it's kinda crazy during the season with charters.

Yeah I speak spanish, Alwas thought if I could find an SO that speaks french I would be set.
outbound_308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:36   #18

Yes. Europe a very good place to shop. Plenty of choice and not just Amels.

b.
Old 04-06-2020, 22:16   #19

Boat: Nordic 44

Outbound_308: I didn't notice if you said where you are now. That may help with some advice.

The other half of boat ownership is maintenance and upgrades. In many places in the world skilled labor is non-existent or exorbitantly over priced. Do you have basic mechanical and electrical skills? Can you fix small things yourself? Do the scheduled engine maintenance? What about larger projects?

The size of the boat and it's complexity will directly affect the maintenance time and cost. Without some skills you will be at the mercy of the (sometimes) dubious marine trades.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 00:07   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassdog View Post
With these bigger boats comes the need for Crew, especially if you’re single. I singlehand my 40 foot, 12ton Acapulco 40 and it can be a handful when blustery.

And finally, have you owned boats previously and if so what size? You were talking about some very large boats and with size comes expensive maintenance and much more labor, more difficulty to singlehand and simply a lot of boat to handle. You should size your choices to your actual needs, I have known many sailors who Went big, and then chose to downsize after recognizing that it was simply too much boat for their needs.
I echo Glassdog's cautions. You plan to singlehand a 54' boat? And you'll "get crew when you need it... no biggie"? Think hard about the assumptions you're making.

Also it would be helpful if you updated your profile to reflect your location so we know what you local sailing area is. Remember, this is an international forum!

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:46   #21

Boat: 1976 Alajuela 38 MK I

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
I echo Glassdog's cautions. You plan to singlehand a 54' boat? And you'll "get crew when you need it... no biggie"? Think hard about the assumptions you're making.

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
IMO, Both Glassdog and LittleWing make good points. Deeply and critically question EVERY assumption you make about your plan and boat. You know its possible to buy that really great Amel on the eve of a serious recession, could your pension and retirement saving take that hit and still allow the money needed to keep the boat? Or would you be stuck the a depreciating asset that would be very tough to sell?

One thought: if you are looking at a boat and the thought, "Can I afford it?" crosses your mind. The answer is probably no. For the unfamiliar, it can be hard to wrap your head around just how expensive it can be to maintain a boat especially in an out of the way port. I am currently in the market for a cruiser in the 30ft range. I am on a tight budget and expect my budget to only tighten more once we leave. I look at boat we see with an extremely critical eye towards the cost of the initial refit and just as importantly the ongoing cost of maintenance and upgrades.

Many have said and I fully agree: more dreams have been dashed buying too large and/or complicated a boat.

My advice (and remember free advice is often worth what you pay for it ):
1) Get some offshore experience (ie try to crew on some deliveries)
2) Get the smallest simplest boat you can that will do what you think you want and need.
gallatin1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:13   #22

I too confirm a 54' boat can be a handful.

However, some 54' boats are still fine. An example: an Amel 54.

A 54' ketch with in mast furled main and mizzen and short rig.

So, if you get a bigger boat and sail alone, make sure you do not get something beyond you physical abilities (these tend to diminish over time too!)

barnakiel
Old 10-06-2020, 11:11   #23

Boat: Jeanneau 27

Sorry guys for the late reply, thanks everyone for all their great comment's/concerns. I will update my profile soon. I am currently in Missouri, USA. I am working full time and and sail most weekends on 34-40 footers(depending on what the club has available) solo usually but sometimes with guests. Typical charters on 40+ in the Caribbean with a group from the sailing club. Grew up as the son of a diesel mechanic and salvage diver. Dad worked with Tom Guhr back in the 70's and was part of the team that found the San Jose.
So I have been rebuilding refinishing boats cars etc most of my childhood, we never had a lot of money so anything we had Dad got for a deal and we fixed it up. So yes I'm pretty handy.
I will be purchasing in retirement (6years from now) Military my all my adult life and in good physical shape, biggest concern is unpredictable health issues...cancer etc. but not much any of us can do about that. My purchase budget after selling the house will be 100,000 less than what I have on hand. I hate to put that out there as I know people will judge, but spent most of my life poor or living frugally to end up here so money just won't be a concern within reason. will also have two pensions that will never fluctuate or change until I die and free tricare international health insurance.

I would really prefer to go as a couple but when I start dating someone at this age and they figure out "oh this isn't some pipe dream he really has the means to do this" They are usually look you are a nice guy but I can't get on board with your plans.

The only boat I am considering over 50 ft is the amel 54 other than that my backup is the Hylas 46. Either will be paid for cash. I would definitely like to charter either before then but as they are higher end boats I am having trouble finding any available.

I apologize if any of this seems crass or things you shouldn't talk about. It is not intended to offend anyone or be insensitive to anyone. We are all where we are and the important part is to get out there.
outbound_308 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal