Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2017, 01:58   #1

Boat: naver 29
scandinavian boats suitable for a beginner

i'm currently living in southern denmark and looking at getting my first boat, we intend learning to sail on this boat(taught by someone who knows what they're doing), and when suitably experienced using it for day/weekend trips around southern denmark and possibly the occasional longer trip to neighbouring countries as our experience increases.we are a family of four with 2 young boys,we'd like something large enough for the four of us for these trips but still suitable for beginners.

i've been looking at these particular models-https://www.guloggratis.dk/sport/baade/sejlbaad/annonce/37308702-b31-bostrm-31-nypris.

are there any other brands commonly found in the area which would make a suitable starter boat?

thanks in advance
martinworswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:21   #2

Boat: Beneteau 373
Re: scandinavian boats suitable for a beginner

That looks to be a nice boat at a very good price. My opinion is that it is more important how the owner maintained their boat than what brand. A professional survey is recommended but at that price (9,000 USD) maybe make friends with a local salt to come along to take a look. Also, check out how to do your own survey: Marine Survey 101, Do your own marine survey

Last advice is make sure the Mrs. is happy. Your boys will likely love it and you will be their hero the rest of their lives. Go do it. Best wishes.
oslokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:16   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oslokid View Post
That looks to be a nice boat at a very good price. My opinion is that it is more important how the owner maintained their boat than what brand. A professional survey is recommended but at that price (9,000 USD) maybe make friends with a local salt to come along to take a look. Also, check out how to do your own survey: Marine Survey 101, Do your own marine survey

Last advice is make sure the Mrs. is happy. Your boys will likely love it and you will be their hero the rest of their lives. Go do it. Best wishes.
thanks for the link,i'll have a read of that.

the Mrs is keen to give it ago although quite apprehensive,she has a few safety concerns regarding the boys who have the typical energy levels of boys!

we'll see where it leads,which in my mind will be taking a year or 2 out somewhere warm!we'll take it slowly and see if everyone feels the same!
Old 09-07-2017, 09:29   #4

Boat: Boreal 47

My wife and I bought a B31 in Denmark about 8 years ago with no sailing experience. We learned how to sail on it and went on longer and longer trips. Our final trip was from Denmark through the Kiel Canal, then the English channel, through the Irish Sea to Scotland, up to Shetland, over to Norway and back to Denmark. We never felt unsafe in the boat and it performed well. It will of course be a little more crowded with two boys, but it should be fine. Since then, we bought a larger boat and crossed the Atlantic. Some have done that in a B31, but I was glad we had a larger boat for that trip.
BjarneK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BjarneK View Post
My wife and I bought a B31 in Denmark about 8 years ago with no sailing experience. We learned how to sail on it and went on longer and longer trips. Our final trip was from Denmark through the Kiel Canal, then the English channel, through the Irish Sea to Scotland, up to Shetland, over to Norway and back to Denmark. We never felt unsafe in the boat and it performed well. It will of course be a little more crowded with two boys, but it should be fine. Since then, we bought a larger boat and crossed the Atlantic. Some have done that in a B31, but I was glad we had a larger boat for that trip.
that sounds like an awesome trip,my wife was commenting this morning how she'd like to take a trip through the norweigan fjords.

if things work out the way i'm hoping then i'd imagine we'd move up to something a bit bigger in the future.

the price of those boats seem to be reasonable and if it doesn't work out its not a huge amount of cash tied up in it.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:25   #6

Boat: Boreal 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinworswick View Post
that sounds like an awesome trip,my wife was commenting this morning how she'd like to take a trip through the norweigan fjords.
Norway was one of our favorite parts on that trip. Expensive but very nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinworswick View Post
the price of those boats seem to be reasonable and if it doesn't work out its not a huge amount of cash tied up in it.
Exactly.
BjarneK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:23   #7

"Southern Denmark" can mean lotsa things :-) However, it's a TINY place, really, and "Sydhavet" (waters south of Funen) is a wonderful place to learn to sail. It'll take you quite a while to visit all the lovely little harbours there, and once you have a year under your keel you'll be ready to venture into the Kattegat and the Baltic when the wind comes down from Iceland howling like a thousand demented banshees :-). The boat you are looking at will be just fine, assuming, of course, that it's in good nick.

Back when Denmark was a seafaring nation of some note, I learned in those waters in Juniorbåde and Folkebåde, 19 and 26 foot respectively. You will note that, generally, Danes cruise in boats smaller than your are accustomed to. It's all about "getting away from it all", and "camping" is just fine during the short passages in Danish inland waters. A boat you might like to have a look at is called the "Spækhugger" (Orca). A bit faster than what you are looking at, I expect and about the same accommodations.

TrentePieds (Former Danish Person)
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:24   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
"Southern Denmark" can mean lotsa things :-) However, it's a TINY place, really, and "Sydhavet" (waters south of Funen) is a wonderful place to learn to sail. It'll take you quite a while to visit all the lovely little harbours there, and once you have a year under your keel you'll be ready to venture into the Kattegat and the Baltic when the wind comes down from Iceland howling like a thousand demented banshees :-). The boat you are looking at will be just fine, assuming, of course, that it's in good nick.

Back when Denmark was a seafaring nation of some note, I learned in those waters in Juniorbåde and Folkebåde, 19 and 26 foot respectively. You will note that, generally, Danes cruise in boats smaller than your are accustomed to. It's all about "getting away from it all", and "camping" is just fine during the short passages in Danish inland waters. A boat you might like to have a look at is called the "Spækhugger" (Orca). A bit faster than what you are looking at, I expect and about the same accommodations.

TrentePieds (Former Danish Person)
we arrived in denmark from overseas a few months ago and we're still looking at a variety of places to settle-at least for a while!we're currently on lolland where the family is but we're also looking at southern fyn,aero,lolland/falster,mon!

i'll see if i can find any of those boats available,cheers.

Tags
boat