Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2021, 20:14   #1

Boat: 1976 Scheel 45 Masthead Sloop
Scheel Yacht info

Good Evening all, Happy Independence Day! It is a little after 8 and I can hear the fireworks. I’m not watching them live because I spent the day storm prepping my recent purchase of the last of 6, 45 ft aft cabin sailboats built by Scheel Yachts in 1974-1976. Your welcome to google if your not familiar with Henry Scheel, and his yacht company. I have read in several places that he closed shop because with the oil embargo, he couldn’t get material, and refused to sacrifice quality. The boats sold in the $140k range in the mid 70’s new. ( better than $1mil in today’s money) He sold the Molds to Morgan(Thor industries), who produced the Morgan 45 ketch (12 I think) and then all of the 461 iterations were children of the same hull mold.

The boat has been floating on an anchor a few years, lived on but neglected. After spending a little time going through the boat at maybe a (pre- passage survey level ish) I am seriously impressed by the build quality. Despite the obvious neglect and lack of love, the boat is rock solid... not a soft spot anywhere. I have walked brand new bennies and felt softer decks. Everything is bronze or stainless.... thru hulls, chainplates deck fittings etc... dry, no stains, and obviously have been there since new. The teak and brass abound, and the sole is completely silent when you walk. The boat doesn’t move much from wakes and she is anchored with a view out to the ocean. It has no old boat creaks and groans. All the way through it feels like walking on concrete. 1 cabin window corner leak small. The hatches are warped and need to be replaced but if you crank down hard on the screws, they mostly seal.

Mechanically it leaves a lot to be desired for a starting point, BUT I knew that going In so no bitching lol. I was a marine diesel mechanic by trade in a former life, and am not a fan of the Ford Lehman anyhow.

I am playing hell trying to get it out of the water, since apparently everyone saved their nickels during quarantine, and have made a societal choice to spend those Nickels on boat projects, requiring them to be hauled out too. I dove under the boat for a couple of hours cleaning the hull and again after the water cleared up. I saw or felt nothing that I am worried about. The hull seems to be in great shape. Someone did an outstanding bottom job, and the growth just fell off with very little effort. I don’t think a long dry out will be required. I want to have a new shaft,trans, motor mounts and engine ready to drop in as soon as it’s out of the water.

That was a Lotta set up, sooo thanks for sticking with me, lol. What I am after from you fine folks is:

I want any and all information or directory to information on these boats. Spec sheets, wire diagrams, a list of the boats etc. My main concern at the moment is the Shaft. The previous owner bounced pretty hard and bent the shaft( his words) a couple of years ago, and hasn’t left the mooring since.

There has to be some reference to the shaft length somewhere. I called Catalina and well let’s just say they were less than helpful. So there it is, anyone of you folks that might be able to point me in the right direction, I would be very appreciative. Please don’t clog the forums with essays championing the Ford ( truly don’t care) etc. yes I know I can pull the shaft in the water, but it has to come out anyhow at least to get a bottom job, so there is no need to open a big hole in the boat to worry about. Thank you in advance.
Num1fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 22:26   #2

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more
Re: Scheel Yacht info

Is it the same as the boat featured in this video? I saw the video last year and while it's not really my style of boat I found it interesting for some of the unique features.

Good luck with the project

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 00:53   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, fireman.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:57   #4

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your your boat make & model in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:27   #5

Boat: 1976 Scheel 45 Masthead Sloop

Yes sir that is indeed my my boat. Admittedly that one is much prettier. Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
Is it the same as the boat featured in this video? I saw the video last year and while it's not really my style of boat I found it interesting for some of the unique features.

Good luck with the project

Num1fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:54   #6

Boat: 1973 Scheel 45

Num1fireman, I have recently taken ownership of Scheel 45 Hull #2 and have some documentation (not a lot) that might help ... Feel free to message me directly through the forum so we can connect. Cheers and congratulations!
sister-moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:56   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Sister.

Old 19-08-2021, 11:18   #8

Boat: Morgan 462

Id look into the Morgan 462/461 page on facebook you might find some knowledge there also...
Linwood4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2021, 13:05   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Num1fireman View Post
Good Evening all, Happy Independence Day! It is a little after 8 and I can hear the fireworks. I’m not watching them live because I spent the day storm prepping my recent purchase of the last of 6, 45 ft aft cabin sailboats built by Scheel Yachts in 1974-1976. Your welcome to google if your not familiar with Henry Scheel, and his yacht company. I have read in several places that he closed shop because with the oil embargo, he couldn’t get material, and refused to sacrifice quality. The boats sold in the $140k range in the mid 70’s new. ( better than $1mil in today’s money) He sold the Molds to Morgan(Thor industries), who produced the Morgan 45 ketch (12 I think) and then all of the 461 iterations were children of the same hull mold.

The boat has been floating on an anchor a few years, lived on but neglected. After spending a little time going through the boat at maybe a (pre- passage survey level ish) I am seriously impressed by the build quality. Despite the obvious neglect and lack of love, the boat is rock solid... not a soft spot anywhere. I have walked brand new bennies and felt softer decks. Everything is bronze or stainless.... thru hulls, chainplates deck fittings etc... dry, no stains, and obviously have been there since new. The teak and brass abound, and the sole is completely silent when you walk. The boat doesn’t move much from wakes and she is anchored with a view out to the ocean. It has no old boat creaks and groans. All the way through it feels like walking on concrete. 1 cabin window corner leak small. The hatches are warped and need to be replaced but if you crank down hard on the screws, they mostly seal.

Mechanically it leaves a lot to be desired for a starting point, BUT I knew that going In so no bitching lol. I was a marine diesel mechanic by trade in a former life, and am not a fan of the Ford Lehman anyhow.

I am playing hell trying to get it out of the water, since apparently everyone saved their nickels during quarantine, and have made a societal choice to spend those Nickels on boat projects, requiring them to be hauled out too. I dove under the boat for a couple of hours cleaning the hull and again after the water cleared up. I saw or felt nothing that I am worried about. The hull seems to be in great shape. Someone did an outstanding bottom job, and the growth just fell off with very little effort. I don’t think a long dry out will be required. I want to have a new shaft,trans, motor mounts and engine ready to drop in as soon as it’s out of the water.

That was a Lotta set up, sooo thanks for sticking with me, lol. What I am after from you fine folks is:

I want any and all information or directory to information on these boats. Spec sheets, wire diagrams, a list of the boats etc. My main concern at the moment is the Shaft. The previous owner bounced pretty hard and bent the shaft( his words) a couple of years ago, and hasn’t left the mooring since.

There has to be some reference to the shaft length somewhere. I called Catalina and well let’s just say they were less than helpful. So there it is, anyone of you folks that might be able to point me in the right direction, I would be very appreciative. Please don’t clog the forums with essays championing the Ford ( truly don’t care) etc. yes I know I can pull the shaft in the water, but it has to come out anyhow at least to get a bottom job, so there is no need to open a big hole in the boat to worry about. Thank you in advance.
I had hull number 4 and maybe able to help with some information as well as a bunch of detailed survey pictures which may help in pointing out how certail things were done on a sistership
Sailing_pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 03:45   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, 'pirate.

Tags
yacht