Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2019, 12:54   #1

Boat: Sabre 34
School me on Choctawhatchee Bay, Destin or PC area

I am considering moving my Saber 34 to the Gulf. Destin and Panama City are seems very nice. Choctawhatchee Bay seems to be popular. My big concern is mast height. In specs it is listed as 49'-3". That is probably without the instruments and antenna. I am attaching a pic of what the top of the mast looks like.

Any tips about Choctawhatchee Bay, and Destin area (I was thinking Bluewater Marina). Or is PC is a way to go, any reasonably priced marinas in that area?

Oh, any clever ways to measure exactly what your vertical draft is?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DJI_0057 copy.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	425.7 KB
ID:	193586  
Alex_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 13:59   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: School me on Choctawhatchee Bay, Destin or PC area

Mast height is not an issue at PC, unless you try to go the ICW, then I believe its a 50' bridge, I always thought I'd clear, but never tried as the reprecussions of not clearing were too great.
But yes there are a half dozen Marina's in PC
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 17:01   #3

Sort of depends on where you want to sail.

Destin Bridge is listed at 50 ft, as are most bridges around Fort Walton Beach, but they're generally considered a tiny bit shorter than that and related to tides - it's not an exact measure, and higher than that you're running a risk.

The Mid-Bay Bridge is 65 ft, so the channel to Panama City Beach is clear.

So if you're mostly looking to sail in the Chocktawhatchee Bay, Bluewater works well, but your safe channel from Bluewater Bay to the Gulf is towards Panama City Beach.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 19:02   #4

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

A64 is a bit dated in his accesment of the PC marina situation. I do knot know of a functional marina in the area after Michael (possibly a little space in St Andrews) and probably be a while before any up and running.

I sailed a 49 ft mast (no instruments ) around here for a lot of years. Normally would clear Brooks Bridge in Ft Walton, Navarre ( two spans to the south of center), but would not clear Destin. The VHF whip caught Hell but always kept on working. Dupont Bridge over by what is left of Tyndall AFB is probably 52 ft. Remaining all 65 or better. Typical 1.5 ft tide might get you by if you clean off the masthead.

IMO of the 3 bays Pensacola is best, Choc and St Andrews tied for second. Choctawhatchee kind of nasty in strong East Wind. Other than the bridge issues a great cruising area and there is always the GOM.

I measured mine with a tape measure, could use a 6ft folding rule but would be a real PITA.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:16   #5

Boat: Beneteau 343

Great area but Michael has left PC a mess in terms of marinas. That I know of, there are no plans set for how they are going to rebuild.

I sailed out of Bay Point off of St Andrews Bay and had great access to GOM which is the best sailing by far IMHO. St Andrews bay is great but I think Pensacola Bay just a bit better. While doable and likely in my future, Chocta Bay is nothing special; not in same league as PCola and SA bays. I am now in Chico Bayou in PCola and have an hour plus to get to GOM but have great sailing otherwise.

The area is unbelievably good if you are a plane/air show person. All the USAF operations and the Naval Air Station in PCola make for a great sailing experience on a regular basis. It is easy to see the Blue Angels practice. Lots of dolphin as well.

The bridge issue hits me as I am 50’ and too scared to go under Destin, FWB, and DuPont bridges. Perdido Bay isn’t good for sailing but the bridge to GOM is 54’ which I go under.

In good conditions the GOM sailing here is terrific.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:39   #6

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_V View Post

Oh, any clever ways to measure exactly what your vertical draft is?
I assume you mean with the mast up:
Masthead to mast base + waterline to mast base + the height of VHF antena.
Tie a long measuring tape or if you don't have one, a piece of strong string or small rope to the halyard and take the shackle to the sheave. Then measure the length. Not 100% but give or take a couple of inches.
Mind you, you have to do it on a low tide, it will be different on a high one.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:53   #7

Boat: Sabre 34

Thanks for all the feedback. I need to take a few trips down there to learn the are a bit more.
Alex_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 10:56   #8

Boat: never mind...

The Destin Harbor and the exit/entrance is an insane location of a few sailors, a lot of inexperienced boaters renting pontoons, fishing charters with no regard for other vessels, and other boat owners zipping around all those obstacles. Not to mention dolphin charters, kite riders, jet skis, advertising boats, etc. I would steer away from that area. Just my opinion.

The Choctawhatchee Bay is a beautiful sailing area!
iSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 13:37   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I haven’t been to PC since Michael, just from Satellite photos it seems the only Marina that got whacked was my old one, the City Marina.
All of the other ones are closed? Surely not?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 15:56   #10

Boat: Beneteau 343

Unfortunately yes. Almost complete marina devastation has occurred and I can't find anything available in PC area. I am now in PCola and will likely move to Niceville as the drive to PCola is twice as far. I am going to have to give up easy access to GOM. Choctawhatchee Bay is nice and big but it isn't the GOM. I might anchor out and take my chances in exchange to being to close to home.
https://www.pcgov.org/338/Marinas
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hatch, school