Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2013, 11:38   #16

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Seafarer 26: Words of Wisdom Sought

Hello leeholodrio,
If you could post under the Meets and Greets forum you would get many more responses to your questions.
Welcome to Cruisers Forum.
Old 22-07-2018, 20:05   #17

Boat: 1980 Bristol 35.5

What are Seafarer boats cored with on their decks, particularly under the mast step?
Midwesterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 12:05   #18

Boat: 1983 hunter 31, hull number 58

Just curious if anyone knew about a seafarer 26 (1977, may have been an unfinished hull model) that was sailed in the Saint Lucia island area and was named "Gusto" back in the 90s ?

It was sailed up to Charlotte harbor, Florida in the late 90's as he was getting too long in the tooth to continue his sailing or so I was told.

I had bought it at a school auction in southwest Florida around 1999, lived and sailed single hand on it for several years until I moved up to a Pearson Vanguard for another handful of years doing the same routine.

I missed its sailing characteristics far more than I expected and jumped at the chance to buy the 26 back !

Just about done upgrading items neglected over the years such as another mast and roller furling after being dismasted during a storm at anchor thus new standing & running rigging and a smaller 100% jib (reefable) so I put the still great shape 130% under the forward bunks.
May fly it free when running downwind since I do not use a spinnaker single hand.

Heck at 71 I have even installed a jack line ! Getting all careful these days I guess since my buckaroo days have faded and it's time to start sailing smart.

Really glad I tried the smaller jib, it works great and the boat isn't any slower except in a very narrow wind band of 3 to 6 knots (and then not much slower) since it stands upright longer so less leeway and driving force is more in the direction I am trying to go.

Had to do major repair on the rudder and the rear hull-keel joining area. Suspect it had been cracked/broken when someone put it on the hard to do some work and let it rest too much on the keel but do not know that for sure.

New Trinidad anti fouling sr 75% cuprous oxide bottom paint double coated.

Still have minor projects except for semi major project of making a hard bimini for solar panels.

Really like the feel of a tiller boat.

Oh yeah, this is an outboard model and I have hung a Yamaha 8hp off the back but I did sail it nearly 10 years with no motor.
Charlespeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 06:47   #19

I realize this is an old thread, but I would love to hear from those sailors who own and have sailed the Seafarer 26 (skeg and performance fin) boats, especially with regards to their capabilities and characteristics in rough weather. What are the worst sea and wind conditions in which you have sailed the boat? How did the boat perform? Could you still make headway to windward (under sail or sail and motor)? Also, if you sailed the Albin Vega 27 as well, how do the two boats compare? Responses from those who have actual experience with the boat preferred. I am an experienced offshore sailor and understand the design ratios, so I can do my own inferences from the math.
devemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:05   #20

Boat: Seafarer 26 Ker-Plunk

davemaster,
I have a Seafarer 26 that I sail on Lake Michigan. I will have had it out in winds up to 25 knots. That was reefed main and a scrap of jib. I was able to make head way no problem. I felt very safe on the boat. The problem I have here on Lake Michigan is the waves, when the wind has been blowing for a few days out of the North East. The waves get very close together and make for a very uncomfortable ride. I find that waves are more of a problems than high wind. It is a good boat and will keep you safe.
Hope this was helpful
1629dill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:02   #21

Thanks! I would agree that dealing with the steep waves is one of the great challenges of small boat sailing. A delicate dance of energy management, and a true test of our skills as sailors. Good to hear that the boat is safe in the strong winds.
Old 10-07-2021, 18:39   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiller View Post
There is a Seafarer 26 for sale here in Colorado. I'm considering it for my next boat. It's a 1985 with a diesel and a trailer. Any specifics to these boats to look out for. They are lead encapsulated fin keels.
The plan is to move up from our 23 foot hunter and do some coastal cruising. Areas like FL keys, San Juans or Sea of Cortez. Does that make sense with this boat?
Thanks, Bill
Looks like a nice boat, at 8' 4" width, it is trailerable. Like the cabin layout. How is the headroom?
WmMurnahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 18:57   #23

Headroom is 6'1" I believe. Interior volume is quite large, considering the LOA. Feels like a much bigger boat inside, more like what you would expect in a 30x boat, except for the galley, which is small.