Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2017, 07:50   #1

Boat: Chinook 34
Sealing wood properly

Hello all,

I wish to revarnish my wheel but I am unsure whether to epoxy then varnish or varnish then seal with epoxy.

Which is the best method?

Cheers!
- Caolan.
Caolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 08:01   #2

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch
Re: Sealing wood properly

Epoxy cannot be applied over varnish. Best method is to make sure you sand all the old varnish off, then use some penetrating epoxy to soak into the wood. I keep putting it on until the wood stops absorbing the epoxy. Then after that dries take regular non thinned epoxy and put another 2 to 3 coats on. Let that cure over night, lightly sand it, then apply about 6 coats of quality varnish. I use Bristol Finish or the likes.

Have fun
Old 21-09-2017, 08:10   #3

I should have mentioned. Epoxy has no UV protection, so the UV protected varnish will also help protect the epoxy.

In adition, epoxy does not breath and is a hardner activated product, Varnish is oil based and is not waterproof so will cause anything like epoxy to come off in sheets in time.

Hope this helps
Old 21-09-2017, 08:13   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Windrush II View Post
I should have mentioned. Epoxy has no UV protection, so the UV protected varnish will also help protect the epoxy.

In adition, epoxy does not breath and is a hardner activated product, Varnish is oil based and is not waterproof so will cause anything like epoxy to come off in sheets in time.

Hope this helps
Thanks. That last bit is what has been happening over the last couple years: the epoxy is flaking off in large pieces so before it is destroyed by another season of winter wet I wanted to reseal it.
Old 21-09-2017, 08:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caolan View Post
Thanks. That last bit is what has been happening over the last couple years: the epoxy is flaking off in large pieces so before it is destroyed by another season of winter wet I wanted to reseal it.
Yeah 6 coats of varnish will put enough UV protection over the eppxy to keep it down on the wood, but i would scuff and re-apply 2 coats of varnish once a year to keep it in good shape.
Old 21-09-2017, 08:22   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Windrush II View Post
Yeah 6 coats of varnish will put enough UV protection over the eppxy to keep it down on the wood, but i would scuff and re-apply 2 coats of varnish once a year to keep it in good shape.
Good idea!

I bought her in Feb 2015 and at the time the wheel was okay. But over this last spring and summer it kind of just fell apart. lol.

I have been doing bright work all summer it'd be nice to sail her once. hahahaha
Old 21-09-2017, 08:24   #7

Boat: Mauritius 43 Sloop

Unless you make sure to remove all the old finish from the nooks and crannies (not sure how detailed your wheel is, but most are), I wouldn't recommended using epoxy. As SV Windrush II mentioned, you shouldn't apply epoxy over a standard oil based finish.

What's the condition of your wheel now? You could use thinned varnish or a wood sealer (I use Interlux Wood Sealer), a few coats, before you start the varnish.

If your wheel has a lot of joints that like to move (many older wheels), I'd also advise against epoxy unless you're able to stabilize the whole wheel. The joints will simply crack open and let water in anyway.
atmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 08:25   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmartin View Post
Unless you make sure to remove all the old finish from the nooks and crannies (not sure how detailed your wheel is, but most are), I wouldn't recommended using epoxy. As SV Windrush II mentioned, you shouldn't apply epoxy over a standard oil based finish.

What's the condition of your wheel now? You could use thinned varnish or a wood sealer (I use Interlux Wood Sealer), a few coats, before you start the varnish.

If your wheel has a lot of joints that like to move (many older wheels), I'd also advise against epoxy unless you're able to stabilize the whole wheel. The joints will simply crack open and let water in anyway.
Ahhhhh good point Martin. It does have a LOT of pieces to it. And it is mostly bare of all protection but in good condition.
Old 21-09-2017, 08:29   #9

Yes i concur with atmartin, if you cannot sand everything off, then go with the interlux sealer.

Tags
rope