Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2008, 11:29   #16

Boat: Allied Princess 36 Ketch
Greets, Bonnie, Bill & Frank.

I'm the previous owner of the 1970 Coronado 25, that Bonnie now has (well, minus the sliding deck hatch). Unfortunately, in preparing the boat for land transport, it didn't occur to me, that it could possibly blow off the trailer, but sadly enough it did, and the driver never saw it happen.

Frank, as you know, the hatch has a strip of wood that runs along both port and starboard lengths of the hatch, and held in place by screws, through the teak trim. Well.....over the years, the inner strips of wood were wearing out, and my intention was to replace them with either aluminum or a composite, but since the boat and hatch have survived a knockdown, during a Chesapeake squall, fierce winds (early in this springtime) and the few times that she was hard aground and laying on her side, I really didn't think that the hatch would fly off, and oddly enough, on a road trip.

So, Frank........if you can find a hatch for Bonnie, I'll owe ya, Big time.

Thanks for whatever you can do to help.

Ron.

Here's Mia Mavourneen, as she was leaving.

Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 14:49   #17

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
You could proably find a guy to build a new one. It will probably cost about 1200 dollars. Good luck and I will keep an eye out for you.
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 21:46   #18

Yeah, 1200 was what I figured.

Thanks
Daddy's Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 02:36   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Paul View Post
You could proably find a guy to build a new one. It will probably cost about 1200 dollars. Good luck and I will keep an eye out for you.
/

Yeeeks... I knew that owning her would be expensive but this is one expense I wasnt couting on. The good news is that I have an ace in the hole. My dad has a wood shop and has built several boats. If push comes to shove, we will build one. I was really hoping not to have to though so please keep a look out..
novice wanting to sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 03:42   #20

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Here is a really good link on building a companionway hatch on a 24 foot boat:

http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...t,p,93,00.html
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 05:04   #21

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Has is occurred to anyone to simply retrace the route taken by the delivery truck to see if you can spot the hatch cover? There's a good possibility it's lying at the side of the road somewhere and could be repaired and reinstalled if it’s not too badly damaged. Assuming the route’s not too long, that might be a lot less costly and/or time consuming than rebuilding a new cover.

Unfortunately, my wife has a penchant for hitting pot-holes and loosing wheel covers on our old Mercedes but I’ve been able to find them—twice—with a little patience.

N’any case—good luck. You’ve got a “Good Ol Boat” for a starter.

Cheers,

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 05:51   #22

The route was from Northeast Philadelphia, with an overnight stop in Deale, Maryland, then onto the St Mary's Yachting Center, in Draydon, Maryland.

I've asked the trucking company to fax me the driver's route, but haven't heard back, as of yet. I95 South would have been part of his travels, at least from Philly, through Delaware, then the upper part of Maryland.

My guess, is that there probably wasn't any traffic behind the truck, or the driver would have heard the screeching of tires, as vehicles were swerving all over the road, to avoid hitting it, or not being slammed by the hatch.
Old 29-07-2008, 07:00   #23

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Oops! I didn't realize you had covered so much ground. That may prove to be a fruitless search. Yet, for $1,200...

Good Luck!

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 07:22   #24

I just did a search for 3/4" marine grade mahogany plywood, and the highest price I saw was $129.00 for a 4/8' sheet. That's more than enough wood to do the job.

Bonnie's father has a complete workshop, he is an architect and has built boats.

Gorilla Glue is pretty tough stuff, and I have worked with it, in exterior applications. Of course, a sealer would be necessary for the finished hatch, then a few coats of smooth flowing Interlux Brightside, if a white finish is desired.

This is just a ball park guess, but I'm thinking more like $250......tops.

Ideas, anyone?
Old 29-07-2008, 07:38   #25

Here's what the hatch looks like. The two guys, on deck, are sitting on it.

Old 29-07-2008, 16:14   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
I just did a search for 3/4" marine grade mahogany plywood, and the highest price I saw was $129.00 for a 4/8' sheet. That's more than enough wood to do the job.

Bonnie's father has a complete workshop, he is an architect and has built boats.

Gorilla Glue is pretty tough stuff, and I have worked with it, in exterior applications. Of course, a sealer would be necessary for the finished hatch, then a few coats of smooth flowing Interlux Brightside, if a white finish is desired.

This is just a ball park guess, but I'm thinking more like $250......tops.

Ideas, anyone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Paul View Post
Here is a really good link on building a companionway hatch on a 24 foot boat:

Sailboat Companionway Hatch - Tutorial View

The marine grade plywood has been purchased. If we have to build a hatch we will but still hoping Frank or someone can come up with one.
The above link.... is very interesting and may prove invaluable. Thanks.
Old 17-08-2008, 14:33   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
As I hate to read threads and not see the outcome. The hatch has been picked up. Hopefully it will suit.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 14:47   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Thanks for the happy ending Frank. Over the years on CF we have a few (very few) of these amazing stories. Being lucky still counts!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 20:07   #29

The hatch was perfect.. Just absolutlely perfect/ I cannot that all of you enough...
Old 18-08-2008, 07:25   #30

Yep......Frank did a big solid for Bonnie, and didn't want anything in return, nor when I asked him if there was anything we could do, for his generousity. Big karma point for you, Bro.

Bonnie, did Joe pick up the hatch or did you, and did it fit in your car, or did you use a roof rack, and......did the hatch slip right onto the track?

Photo's, kiddo, we need photo's, and I need to see Mavourneen from a different perspective and in her new home.

Maybe one day, you'll get to raft up with Lucky Dolphin, and we'll share some tall sailing stories.

Frank, here's a few photo's of the boat.

The last time I saw her.....

And a few others.

Cruising the Chesapeake.

Save Our Planet, It's The Only One That Has Chocolate.

Tags
arc