Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2022, 14:35   #46

Boat: Tartan 42
Re: Searching for a family boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipPalacios View Post
We have been looking at boats over the last year and have been taking the steps to be ready to purchase and cruise with our 4 kids ages 9-16.
I would strongly recommend that you read the book Voyaging With Kids. It was written by some of the most knowledgable family cruisers around. Here's a link to it on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Voyaging-Kids...s%2C258&sr=8-1
Kintala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 06:02   #47

Boat: Dufour Gibsea 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kintala View Post
I would strongly recommend that you read the book Voyaging With Kids. It was written by some of the most knowledgable family cruisers around. Here's a link to it on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Voyaging-Kids...s%2C258&sr=8-1
It's on my order list now! Thanks!
PhillipPalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 06:07   #48

Boat: Dufour Gibsea 51

Quote:
Anyone have thoughts on builders like Gibsea - or for that matter Hanse, Elan, Etc that have smaller user base? for a new sailor who is certainly mechanically and technically adept, is this a problem? For instance- I am confident that I could effectively replace the keel bolts on a Beneteau Oceanis based off of the technical white paper and various forum threads and YouTube videos. I cannot find anything regarding this procedure for the Gibsea 51 that I am looking at.

Anyway, thanks for reading the novel here, and any and all input/advise is appreciated.
All, Thank you so much for the input here. Theres a ton to sort through!

I am curious on this part of my original question. when it comes to some of the normal maintenance/things to keep up on . I can find quite a bit for the more popular production boats and the the more Bluewater focused boats IE replace or maintain keel bolts, Chainplates, etc. but there's not a lot for lesser known (in North America) builders like Dufour, Gibsea, Elan, Hanse etc... thinking in 10 years time when I need to replace chainplates, how difficult will it be to find the info /resources needed to do it correctly?
p
PhillipPalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 07:23   #49

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
All, Thank you so much for the input here. Theres a ton to sort through!

I am curious on this part of my original question. when it comes to some of the normal maintenance/things to keep up on . I can find quite a bit for the more popular production boats and the the more Bluewater focused boats IE replace or maintain keel bolts, Chainplates, etc. but there's not a lot for lesser known (in North America) builders like Dufour, Gibsea, Elan, Hanse etc... thinking in 10 years time when I need to replace chainplates, how difficult will it be to find the info /resources needed to do it correctly?
p
I wouldn’t worry 10 years down the road. Just stay in the now. Most of the information you need are you on forms like this. The challenge is sifting through information from people who know what they are talking about and the others who want to be internet stars. Just a hint…most experience people here have the boat they own listed under their avatar. I’m just saying.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 07:26   #50
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Searching for a family boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I wouldn’t worry 10 years down the road. Just stay in the now. Most of the information you need are you on forms like this. The challenge is sifting through information from people who know what they are talking about and the others who want to be internet stars. Just a hint…most experience people here have the boat they own listed under their avatar. I’m just saying.

Having sailed most of what you mentioned. I would rate dufour , Hanse and gibsea in that order. I’ve personally found gibseas to be lightly built. I was out near the fastnet many years ago and the 40 foot gibsea popped both her forward cabin doors in the seaway.

Tags
arc, boat, family